The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[On going discussion] Tanev's Contract

Ilya Mikheyev

183 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Low 1m range. I think we've all been impressed by the solid play and composure he has out on the ice for a player of his age. But lets face it - as consistent and solid as he is, he hasn't wowed anybody with his speed, checking, shutdown or playmaking ability. I think his biggest assets aren't that tangible, and include solid decision making and his calm demeanor with the puck. Unfortunately, those two attributes alone doesn't exactly scream "give me a lucrative contract".

I think a cap hit we could expect would be in the 1.25-1.5 per year range. There is one thing that I think about though. Since his debut, we have seen a young defenceman come into the picture with incredible composure, who makes solid plays, and from what I see is seldom caught out of position. Given his abilities to do these things at such a young age, we can assume that he is only going to get better. He doesn't put up many points, but does a fine job at what his position is ultimately about...keeping pucks out of our net, as is reflected by his +/- stats, and depending on how much importance you put into that, is another value of Tanev's.

Now our defence core is, in my opinion, solid from 1-6. We don't have that one guy making 6+ mil per season, no Weber/Chara/Karlsson when he gets his payday, etc. With the exception of Tanev, we also don't currently use a defenceman making less than 4 mil per season. So that is a pretty expensive group. My question regarding Tanev now, would be do we sign him to a deal for only a couple years, or a longer term deal, say 3-4 years. Personally, I'd prefer the latter. The cap is going down after this year, so to have a young and solid defenceman who only appears to be improving locked up for a few years would make the most sense to me moving forward.

Archived