Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Allen West Slams Women In Combat ‘Social Experiment,’ Suggests They Should Also Join NHL

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 dudeone

dudeone

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:40 PM

Allen West Slams Women In Combat ‘Social Experiment,’ Suggests They Should Also Join NHL And NBA

by Matt Wilstein | 9:08 pm, January 24th, 2013

http://www.mediaite....in-nhl-and-nba/

Former Republican Congressman and Army veteran Allen West made his views about the recent decision to allow women to serve in combat roles known this morning on Twitter and Facebook. And tonight, he brought those views to CNN.

Appearing on Anderson Cooper 360 along with retired General Rick Hillier of the Canadian Forces, West laid out his opposition to the new rule, saying that with all of the budget issues the military is having right now, the focus shouldn’t be on “this foray into an inequality trip.”

West then went off into an extended sports metaphor that seemed to have both Anderson Cooperand General Hillier baffled:

“I have to tell you, if this is the case, then why do we have separate hockey leagues? Women should be out there playing ice hockey with the guys in the NHL. We should not have a WNBA. I can’t shoot a three-pointer, but there are ladies who could certainly take me to the hoop. Maybe they should be competing with Kobe Bryant.”

Cooper quickly steered the conversation back to the more practical concerns surrounding women in combat, asking Hillier if he had seen any advantages in his career working with women in combat.

After attempting to dissuade some of West’s concerns, Hillier explained that “out in villages amongst the population of Afghanistan, our male soldiers simply could not speak to the females that were in the area.” He continued, “Our female soldiers could talk to them, could obtain all kinds of information, sometimes very actionable intelligence. They could do things that male soldiers simply couldn’t do because they were females and at the same time, they could do everything else that we asked them.”

But West could not be swayed, once again launching into his list of concerns and question regarding women’s ability to serve in the same roles as men. In the end, Hillier concluded that Canada’s decision to allow women to serve in combat in 1989 “was one of the most incredible things we could have ever done. Absolutely right, absolutely positive.”

#2 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:42 PM

"Former Republican Congressman".......says it all. Trying to baffle the world with a mangled sports metaphor? I would say we probably should have expected it.

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 24 January 2013 - 07:43 PM.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#3 Navyblue

Navyblue

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:45 PM

I think if a woman can make it in the NHL or any other league, she should be allowed just as she should be allowed to put her life on the line for her country.

Edited by Navyblue, 24 January 2013 - 07:48 PM.

Posted Image

#4 Stefan

Stefan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,432 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:58 PM

I think if a woman can make it in the NHL or any other league, she should be allowed just as she should be allowed to put her life on the line for her country.

You're using making a pro sports league as a benchmark for being able to join the military?
I dun get it.

gallery_9059_470_12899.jpg

(1 Peter 2:18)

Slaves, be subject to your masters with all reverence, not only to those who are good and equitable but also to those who are perverse.

#5 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,741 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:59 PM

"Former Republican Congressman".......says it all. Trying to baffle the world with a mangled sports metaphor? I would say we probably should have expected it.

The word Army is more relevant in this case than Republican.

#6 Navyblue

Navyblue

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:15 PM

You're using making a pro sports league as a benchmark for being able to join the military?
I dun get it.

Yes. I believe that only those women who have played at least one season in the NHL may fight in combat situations.
Posted Image

#7 jmfaminoff

jmfaminoff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,840 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:25 PM

Colonel West served in the Army. When it comes to combat, he knows what he is talking about.

#8 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:29 PM

Many within the army do not agree with him. In particular, those who made the informed and knowledgeable decision to allow women in combat units.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#9 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,982 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:34 PM

Colonel West served in the Army. When it comes to combat, he knows what he is talking about.

Alan West is living proof that "Affirmative Action" has done as much harm as good .. the guy is a festering parasite ..

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#10 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,687 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:37 PM

http://forum.canucks...omen-in-combat/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.