The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

chi-la

My point is that interest for Bernier can place his value higher than just Hjalmarsson and 3rd.

Since an average(or some say, below average) goaltender like Sanford draws interest from other teams, how much interest would other NHL teams have for Bernier?

Their values are unrelated. Sanford would be brought in most likely to be a backup. A goalie like Bernier is brought in with the hope that he could be a starter. You can't relate the fact that teams want to trade for Sanford making Bernier's value higher. That doesn't stop the fact that Bernier is nothing more than a "maybe" starter, which hurts his value in the end.

Goaltenders not playing generate less interest than those who are active; however, some NHL teams can sense that the ones not playing can potentially be a good, active goalie, once they join their organizations. Your question can be answered in a more detailed manner, if you contact one of the general managers in any NHL team.

I think it is a good deal.

Although after listening to the Panel, I am convinced if Bernier is going they will want a certain type of top 4 defenseman that brings specific elements.

I don't know if Hjalmarrsson wouldn't fit what they are looking for, it might work but I think they might look at getting something a bit better, do I agree it is fair proposition? Eh, no I think this deal is close valuewise, but the price for Bernier is set pretty high for an unproven goalie who isn't capable of being a full time starter IMO.

It basically just comes down to preference in the type of defenseman LA is looking for.

You're arguing the same point as me... You said he'd garner interest whether or not he played, I said that it will be less if he doesn't play, and then you confirm while still trying to argue with me. I don't get it? The only teams who will want him for not playing is exactly what you said, a team who's willing to take a risk on him being a starter. It certainly hurts his value and trade appeal if doesn't play.

I think it is a decent deal.

Although after listening to the Panel, I am convinced if Bernier is going they will want a certain type of top 4 defenseman that brings specific elements.

I don't know if Hjalmarrsson wouldn't fit what they are looking for, it might work but I think they might look at getting something a bit better, do I agree it is fair proposition? Eh, no I think this deal is close valuewise, but the price for Bernier is set pretty high for an unproven goalie who isn't capable of being a full time starter IMO.

Given the fact that LAK is a defensively-minded team with the presence of Quick and Doughty, if they were to try and acquire Hjalmarsson, would they not try trading Simon Gagne and slightly more, since the salaries of Gagne and Hjalmarsson are almost the same? Chicago would gain offense and depth, whereas, LA solidifies their defense with not only Hjalmarsson, but also with Bernier still in LA.

Given the fact that LAK is a defensively-minded team with the presence of Quick and Doughty, if they were to try and acquire Hjalmarsson, would they not try trading Simon Gagne and slightly more, since the salaries of Gagne and Hjalmarsson are almost the same? Chicago would gain offense and depth, whereas, LA solidifies their defense with not only Hjalmarsson, but also with Bernier still in LA.

I meant a good defense sprouts from a good offense. Doughty is an offensively-minded defensement, who produces points for the team, while he supports Quick. Adding a defensive player, however, is not overly necessary, given the fact Quick is solid in net, and with Bernier, the Kings' defensive core seems to be even more secure.

to la: hjalmarsson, 3rd pick 2013

to chi: bernier

hjalmarsson fits well into the kings system and with greenes season ending injury they need a d-man badly

bernier gets a chance to be the starter and grow as a no.1 puck stopper

nothing much to it, i just think it makes sense for both sides

Their values are unrelated. Sanford would be brought in most likely to be a backup. A goalie like Bernier is brought in with the hope that he could be a starter. You can't relate the fact that teams want to trade for Sanford making Bernier's value higher. That doesn't stop the fact that Bernier is nothing more than a "maybe" starter, which hurts his value in the end.

Archived