143 replies to this topic

#121 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,890 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:46 PM

Michael Gillis is anti-youth. He doesn't like talent. He likes Volpatti. You know, guys without much talent.

Grabner had shown flashes of brilliance before the dreaded trade to Florida. Look at the skills he has now. That one timer against the Laffs tonight was terrific.

Hodgson is flourishing. He is a valuable right handed shot. His blast against Thomas in the Bruins game was Yzerman-esque. And he was dealt for Zack Kassian. Kassian is not in the same league as Hodgson, unfortunately.

The next talent that they have is Schroeder. He will probably be packaged with Luongo down to Florida.

Fire Michael Gillis.

Wow... what a terrible post.

Leaving the lack of logic in your thinking when we traded Hodgson for AN EVEN YOUNGER PLAYER and not a veteran (weird when MG hates youth)... we haven't injected young players in the lineup because we haven't had any good young players. It is kind of a function of not sucking and getting lottery picks. I wouldn't trade Edmonton's youth for winning regularly over the past few years like we have been.

If Kassian works out, he is the exact complement to our existing players. Ever report suggests that MG wants a solid prospect as part of a package for Luongo.

Franchises go in cycles. when you are trying to win right away, you sacrifice youth for experience. When you are trying to build up the team to make the playoffs and the future, you sacrifice veterans for youth.

Guess where we are right now?
Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#122 Kevin Starr

Kevin Starr

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:26 PM

I remember the team giving Grabner a lot of chances to show why he deserves a spot in the top 6, as for the whole CoHo-Kassian topic, Coho wanted out, his Dad was too involved in his pro career, and in order to give him the minutes/role he thought he should be getting, we'd either need to move Kes, or Hank (just because CoHo wanted 1st or 2nd line centre roll.

I'm happy with Kass! hope his good play continues!

#123 22sedins33

22sedins33

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:35 PM

Everyone's forgetting about Patrick White... he was the real loss. He's tearing up tier 3 Germany right now.

I think he's in tier 2 this year. He's still doing pretty well though. We should be proud :P
The day has only just begun and already your mind has snapped like a dry and brittle twig...

#124 Fred65

Fred65

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:44 PM

Never mind Schroeder ( although he looks like a players that's better in the NHL than the AHL ) think of this line up in the future Gaunce between Kassian and Jensen, that serious beef and hopefully add in Archibald and LaBatte. On defense Corrado, McNally, Anderson and Connauton and in goal Lack. Could be a lot worse

#125 5minutesinthebox

5minutesinthebox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,681 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:07 PM

I dont think we will hear anything about Kassian's dad calling and whining about ice time. I don' think you will ever see Cody go toe to toe with Eager and live. I don't think you will see Cody outscore Kassian - at least so long as Kass is on the top line. I don't think you will see Cody out hit Kassian. Besides with Kesler and Hank, there is no spot for Cody. I would not put him in over Lappy and he is not a 4th line guy - besides his daddy would have a fit and start calling up Harper to bitch.

Kassquatch >>>> Coho

Yes! Kassquatch is catching on ;)

#126 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,364 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:37 PM

That is just ... OMG, I'm still laughing. I can't stop.

Canot De Dinghy....

I know gets me everytime.

Gollumpus is great with that one.

Kassian scores a couple of goals (one was a sedin pass tap-in) and people hails him as the next Todd. Gee, he didn't really play so well in the AHL this season after what, 17 games, and no one mentions it. Anyone with some stats background will understand the idea of sample size. Too bad all the high school kids here have no clue. Kids should be at school anyway, and not on this board.

People blame Hodgson for trying to leave Vancouver. He had the skills, but he was only given like 10 minutes per game, with no PP time. It's natural to be frustrated. Getting Kassian wasn't a bad idea, but the price was way too high. If you want toughness, you can always get a Brashear for 500K

Another example of nearsightedness was the idea that keeping Samuelsson was better than Grabner. Samuelsson was an old guy, a rental guy. You knew he wouldn't stay for long here. Why trade away all of your potential stars at the earliest opportunity?

Actually people are comparing him to Todd because of what we have seen since he started his OHL career, not just the last few games. He has shown he has a high level of skill prior to this, this isn't the 1st time he has shown his offensive component to his game.

And OMG, Cody was put in a position to earn his time like every rookie is. Let's whine about it! (actually that's what he did)

Henrik Sedin had high offensive skills, Henrik had less icetime and was treated way worse, and to compare the 2 in one sense: Cody was considered a possible future captain of the franchise, and he couldn't hack it, then you look at what Henrik our current captain went through without giving up.

You think Kassian is basicly Brasher? Kassian is a better player now, heck maybe even last year than Brasher ever was.

You Grabner comment made me laugh, a versitile veteran player coming off 30 goals with 2 years left on his deal should have been expendable rather than a rookie who wasn't committed and had shown nothing that would lead us to believe he was a "star" in the making. (and he isn't) Grabner had no place on this team and we needed a defensemen.

The deal makes perfect sense & did at the time, it is just unfortunate the deal hasn't worked out in our favor.

Man, anyone saying Kassian is better than Hodgson is delusional. Everyone knows that ultimately Hodgson is the more skilled and is more likely produce throughout his career offensively. The trade happened because he asked to be traded, so we got back a prospect with size. Sure, I like Kassian as much as the next guy, but Hodgson sure would look great in this line-up right about now, whether we had injuries or not.

Because Offensive skill is the only thing that makes a player successful and a good player. How did Boston beat us for the cup again?

And right now Cody would have been happy, in a month when Kesler gets back he would have gone straight back to having concerns.

zackass.png

#127 WHFproductions

WHFproductions

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:13 PM

Mike Gillis doesn't hate rookies. Theres just no space for them on the incredibly talented canucks team.
I wouldn't be surprised if Schroder gets traded because we arent the Edmonton oilers we're not rebuilding right now. We're going for the cup and to do that we need as much established players as possible. Although the Michael Grabner trade wasn't very good, we still got a good 3rd pairing D from it. and Zack Kassian for Cody Hodgson, was an awsome trade , you can't say he doesn't like rookies and use the CoHo for Kass trade as an example it was a rookie for rookie trade.

sedin-sedin-kassian
booth-kesler-burrows
higgins-lappiere-hansen
volpatti-malhotra-weise

Honestly I dont even think theres enough room for Mason Raymond on the line up.

#128 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:36 PM

Zach Kassian, the way he is playing right now, is exactly what Vancouver needs... A big, tough, hard-hitting power forward who can score and is willing to mix it up. We did not need another soft centre like Hodgson, period, whether he wanted to be here or not.

If Kassian continues to improve, look out. Neely, anyone? A Tim Kerr who can fight? Frank Mahovlich-ish?

Finally, CoHo threads are going to be part of our board for decades. Get over it! Let the freakin' blind fanboys have their whinge and their whine... It's all good.

webkit-fake-url://D8829558-F65F-49B9-9829-A7DFC7F2E6E4/application.pdf

:towel: :canucks:

#129 CityinFlames

CityinFlames

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:49 PM

Some troll really grind my gears

#130 Amish Rake Fighter

Amish Rake Fighter

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,258 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:02 PM

I'm pretty sure that Ballard was acquired when Gillis found out about Salo's offseason floor hockey injury.

#131 Amish Rake Fighter

Amish Rake Fighter

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,258 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:10 PM

Maybe one day Kassian will score half of his goals with his bum like Hodgson does, he can only dream.

Edit: Just watched the highlights of the Buffalo/Carolina game and man, Hodgson's giveaways or blown coverages led to like 2 goals and another chance or two. He's good on the power play but I'm much happier with Kass and his play of late.

Hodgson is terrible defensively, he was directly responsible for 2 Philly goals the other night (one giveaway at his blueline and crappy coverage on Giroux's PP one timer) and he was even worse against the Canes last night. The soft coverage in front of the net on one and the wrap around goal were both benchable offences. And I can't believe he was only given one giveaway in the stats line.

#132 bossram

bossram

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:33 PM

Michael Gillis is anti-youth. He doesn't like talent. He likes Volpatti. You know, guys without much talent.

Grabner had shown flashes of brilliance before the dreaded trade to Florida. Look at the skills he has now. That one timer against the Laffs tonight was terrific.

Hodgson is flourishing. He is a valuable right handed shot. His blast against Thomas in the Bruins game was Yzerman-esque. And he was dealt for Zack Kassian. Kassian is not in the same league as Hodgson, unfortunately.

The next talent that they have is Schroeder. He will probably be packaged with Luongo down to Florida.

Fire Michael Gillis.

Anti-youth......Hmm Kassian and Schroeder in the lineup....

At the time, we needed a defenseman. Gillis made the Ballard/Grabner deal. It was going to be either Raymond or Grabner and Raymond was coming off a 25 goal season and was a proven NHL player.

Hodgson didn't want to be here. He whined and complained. Gillis moved him for a different young player. Hodgson is flourishing right now? So is Kassian. And Buffalo fans will also tell you how truly awful Hodgson is defensively. He was really sheltered in Vancouver.
What is the deal with Mike Gillis, it always seems like he's sweating...

#133 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,524 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:53 PM

Stat line for tonight:

Cody Hodgson 0 points in 3-1 loss.

Michael Grabner 0 points in 4-2 loss.

Game changers!

#134 Papayas

Papayas

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,603 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:56 PM

why must people hate on one player in order to praise the other one?

Both Kassian and Hodgson are good players, and each player is valued different depending on what team he's in.

I am sick and tired of seeing people on cdc bashing either one of the players because they like the other one.

As for Grabner he's also a pretty good scorer with a lot of room of improvment. It won't be suprise to see him being a consistent 20-25 goal player and occasionally 30+ goal in his future career.

#135 ieatlunch

ieatlunch

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:55 PM

As a Sabres fan, I'd say you guys did OK on this one. If it were up to me I'd take Kassian back for Hodgson in a heartbeat. Players like Kassian are rare, whereas soft, defensively liable centers are all too common. Hodgson has scored a few goals but he doesn't bring that same sense that something cool is going to happen every time he hits the ice. Kassian can score, fight well, check well, and is great along the wall. Assuming he keeps up his play, I think you guys did great! I'd love to see a Buffalo vs Vancouver Stanley cup final someday, but the way things look in Buffalo after the last couple games, which were totally pathetic efforts, I'd say it's a toss up if Buffalo even makes the playoffs....

#136 Kassian's Face

Kassian's Face

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:30 AM

LOLOLOLOLOL Who would trade us for Schroeder?

#137 Kassian's Face

Kassian's Face

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:32 AM

Mike Gillis doesn't hate rookies. Theres just no space for them on the incredibly talented canucks team.
I wouldn't be surprised if Schroder gets traded because we arent the Edmonton oilers we're not rebuilding right now. We're going for the cup and to do that we need as much established players as possible. Although the Michael Grabner trade wasn't very good, we still got a good 3rd pairing D from it. and Zack Kassian for Cody Hodgson, was an awsome trade , you can't say he doesn't like rookies and use the CoHo for Kass trade as an example it was a rookie for rookie trade.

sedin-sedin-kassian
booth-kesler-burrows
higgins-lappiere-hansen
volpatti-malhotra-weise

Honestly I dont even think theres enough room for Mason Raymond on the line up.

Drop Volpatti for Raymond and I could live with that. Until next year when we dump Weise for Jensen.

#138 canucksnihilist

canucksnihilist

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:37 AM

for a wolves star, you haven't watched much of the wolves...

#139 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,971 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:12 PM

I think Schroeder will end up in an even worse situation than Hodson. Hank and Kes are here for at least 4 more years and now we have Gaunce coming up. Jordon needs to switch over to his wing, or he will be playing for the Wolves indefinately.

This is such an important time for Schroeder to showcase his abilities right now. If he continues to prove that he is an NHL player, he will probably be traded within the next two years (unless he can switch over to wing). Like Hodson, Jordon will have a better chance at playing top 6 on another team.

#140 Wilbur

Wilbur

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:32 PM

i wouldn't say Kass>Hodgson right now.. at least not yet.. he might in the future but not at the moment. Hodgson is at least for the moment proving he can score and produce on a consistent basis. Kassian probably brings more to the table in terms of size and toughness, but whether he can be consistent remains to be seen. He's playing great right now though so hope he keeps it up.

Not saying your wrong but how is Hodgson's 3 goals in 4 games show he's a consistent scorer and Kassian's 3 goals in 4 games not good enough to show he's a consistent scorer? I'd say both still have to prove they can be consistent as neither showed enough last year to prove to me they can be a consistent scorer.

So far both are off to a good start with their respective teams villing a void at centre for Buffalo, and wing for Vancouver. I'd say, at this early point in the saeson, that it has been a good trade for both teams. But neither player yet has scored enough points or played enough games to show they are consistent at the NHL level.

#141 Wilbur

Wilbur

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:34 PM

I think Schroeder will end up in an even worse situation than Hodson. Hank and Kes are here for at least 4 more years and now we have Gaunce coming up. Jordon needs to switch over to his wing, or he will be playing for the Wolves indefinately.

This is such an important time for Schroeder to showcase his abilities right now. If he continues to prove that he is an NHL player, he will probably be traded within the next two years (unless he can switch over to wing). Like Hodson, Jordon will have a better chance at playing top 6 on another team.

The switch to the wing to eventually play in the top 6 may not be a bad idea. Kesler could use a "passing winger", which is why many thought Ray Whitney could've been a possible fit in the off season.

#142 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:15 PM

Coho -2 tonight, no points without Mr. Vanek...lol...as we said...

#143 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,260 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:22 PM

I'm pretty sure that Ballard was acquired when Gillis found out about Salo's offseason floor hockey injury.

Ballard was acquired draft day in June, while Salo's floorball injuiry was late July. Acquiring Ballard likely had more to do with Mitchells concussion. He hadn't been cleared to work out or even skate by the draft. Five months after he received the concussion.
Posted Image

#144 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,260 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:22 PM

Dbl post

Edited by Baggins, 27 January 2013 - 04:23 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.