The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

J.J. Abrams will direct Star Wars Episode 7

Wetcoaster

• 3 weeks later...

Every single post of "im not even interested, the series is dead to me" is a lie. We are all going to go see the movie no matter how good or bad it is. Admit it. I just hope Lucas keeps his hands out of it. The guy is a menace. Its no fluke that he didnt direct or write the screenplay for the best and most adult episode of the series. His dialog is so amazingly terrible. He is either straight up stupid or hates the fans.

And that rumor that wont die about Zack Snyder (300) directing a movie in the Star Wars universe, thats not part of the series, based on The Seven Samurai is at once interesting and repulsive. I like the movie idea about 7 Jedi helping protect a settlement against overwhelming odds but Snyder having them constantly yell idiotic one liners would be painful to deal with. And a little less homoerotic than 300 would be nice also.

Theres going to be a lot more than the next 3 episodes. Disney paid over 4 billion for the company. They are going to beat this cash cow for every penny. Im happy to go along for the ride.

• 1 year later...

Star Wars Episode VII Set for an estimated Dec 18 2015 release

Director: JJ Abrams

Writers: JJ Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan rewrote a script by Michael Arndt. based on characters created by George Lucas. Possibly using George Lucas's original story treatments for episodes 7, 8 and 9 written back in the 1980s.

Music: John Williams

Cast (all rumored at this time): Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill, Anthony Daniels (C3PO), Billy Dee Williams. Only the list of returning cast members have been made public so far and even they are rumored only but seem like a lock. The casting of all "Key" roles has been kept under wraps with far too many rumors floating about to make a list.

Budget: $200 million (US).

Lucas is a consultant only, so none of his legendary terrible dialog will be forced upon the audience.

Director: JJ Abrams

Writers: JJ Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan rewrote a script by Michael Arndt. based on characters created by George Lucas. Possibly using George Lucas's original story treatments for episodes 7, 8 and 9 written back in the 1980s.

sure, Lucas sucks. but I am not at all sold on JJ Abrams as a writer OR director. look at his credents. not at all impressive. he is a really bad version of Spielberg. Kasdan is an obvious iconic and sentimental choice, but re-capturing "magic" after, what, 30 years is going to be tough. and his credits since Star Wars/Indiana Jones are not all that impressive either -- although he did write (or co-write) the game Shadows of the Empire, which I loved as a kid.

Michael Arndt, on the other hand, is at the top of his game RIGHT NOW. I am really curious as to why he's no longer with the project and what the "re-write" actually means. Did they keep his story? Did they change everything? Whose story is it, etc.

I was a HUGE Star Wars fan growing up, so when Brad Bird (fantastic) was originally rumoured to direct the (rumoured) Arndt-written project, I was so excited. Now I am totally skeptical, myself.

Honestly, I am more curious about potential sideproject movies that go off the main story path. The best thing about SW is how there are so many great secondary characters and stories. I would love to see some animated (or live action) films about Yoda, the Mos Eisley Cantina crowd, Jabba, etc. Seems like every SW nerd has their personal favourite secondary characters. I always liked Greedo.

If JJ Abrams can do half of what he did to Star Trek it will still be twice as good as the Star War prequels.

I'm no Star Wars fanatic by any means. Hold absolutely no feelings towards the originals or the prequels. What Abrams was able to do with Star Trek was absolutely phenomenal. I love the tv shows (minus DS9); but all the films (minus Wrath of Khan) were average to awful. That is, until Abrams got his hands on the series. I can only assume that he'll breath new life into the series.

Archived