The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

J.J. Abrams will direct Star Wars Episode 7

Wetcoaster

It is being reported that JJ Abrams will be directing the next Star Wars instalment after he earlier had turned down the job saying he was committed to the Star Trek franchise re-boot.

J.J. Abrams is boldly going where he previously claimed he’d never go: The Star Trek director has signed on to direct the upcoming Star Wars Episode 7, The Wrap is reporting.

The Lost creator had previously said his loyalty to the Trek franchise was preventing him from signing on to direct Star Wars, although he’d been offered the gig: “I declined any involvement very early on,” Abrams told Empire magazine in December. “I’d rather be in the audience not knowing what was coming, rather than being involved in the minutiae of making them.”

Abrams, whose Star Trek Into Darkness hits theatres in May of this year, will have to jump into his Star Wars role quickly, The Wrap says, in spite of his numerous production commitments – the upcoming Star Wars film is set for a 2015 release.

The plans to produce a new series of Star Wars films was announced after Disney purchased Lucasfilm for $4.05-billion back in October. At that time, George Lucas — the Star Wars franchise’s original mastermind — was confirmed to remain on-board any new Star Wars films as a creative consultant.

Speculation surrounding who might step up to direct Episode 7 has been heated since the film was first announced, with names such as Guillermo del Toro, Brad Bird and Ben Affleck tossed into the ring.

Abrams, whose Bad Robot production company is one of the most successful in Hollywood, also recently acquired the rights to a film about disgraced cyclist Lance Armstrong.

http://arts.nationalpost.com/2013/01/24/j-j-abrams-will-direct-star-wars-episode-7-reports-claim/

The most important thing for the success of the franchise going forward is getting people who are both good at their craft and in love with the mythos. Brad Bird writing and JJ Abrams directing will do that. If he can manage not to make the film 85% lens flairs, that is. And not include any borderline racist secondary characters.

I hope it's about the Yuuzhan Vong war.

That would be amazing, but I suspect very highly that Episode 7 is going to be about the Skywalkers, and the Yuuzhan Vong wars aren't. I just feel like if it was going to be unrelated, they wouldn't have called it Episode 7. It's a hunch, but I feel like they're going to close the door on the Skywalker family through the rest of the series, and then do Star Wars: The Yuuzhan Vong Wars as a completely separate piece. And I'm not even saying I'm right, I just have a hunch that since they spoke of doing other movies afterwards, it's almost implied that the final trilogy will tie directly in.

No, I'd actually like to say that I'd prefer that it not be about the Skywalkers. The obvious storyline will be something along the lines of Luke testing the Dark Side and Han and Leis kids having to stop him, or the (horrible sounding) rumoured storyline of a twin to Anakin who becomes the main antagonist. And I'd rather neither of those, because there's so much story to tell. I'm not guessing it because it's what I want, I'm guessing it because it seems like the Star Wars Episodes all tie into one significant storyline, and by implying that it's a continuation of 6, it's implied that it's a continuation of that particular story. I think we're going to get a ton of awesome EU films later on, but I think they're going to start by giving that story another run, and maybe redeeming it in the eyes of the Star Wars fan.

But again, I'm taking a guess. I don't know what I would prefer less - That Episode 7 was actually about the Skywalkers, or that they'd make a movie unrelated to the plot of the other 6 and still call it Episode 7.

Archived