Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

American Evangelicals Export and Finance Homosexual Hate to Africa

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:19 AM

The Ugandan government, which is heavily influenced by the country's 85 per cent Christian majority, is poised to impose capital punishment for homosexual behaviour. It's been incited to do so by outraged North-American-supported Ugandan preachers. Canadian Anglican bishops and other groups are protesting the proposed law.

The Anglican Church of Canada, along with others, is vigorously condemning an effort by the Ugandan government to finalize a bill calling for the execution of Ugandans who engage in same-sex acts, or who have AIDS. Meanwhile, top Ugandan Anglicans are applauding the death-penalty provision and denouncing Canada’s bishops for butting into Ugandan issues.

The new bill was introduced after a controversial 2009 conference organized in Uganda by American evangelicals who condemned homosexuality as the ultimate evil. The U.S. evangelicals, including “anti-gay-agenda” author Scott Lively, apparently were not satisfied that Uganda, similar to many African countries, already has laws making homosexual activity punishable by up to 14 years in jail.

The government of Uganda’s new bill to execute active gays has been supported by key Ugandan Anglican bishops, leaders of a church that represents roughly one third of the country’s 31 million mostly poor and illiterate residents.

Along with global leaders, several Christian organizations have opposed the proposed Ugandan bill. They include the bishops of the Anglican Church of Canada, who expressed their “dismay” and said it reflected “irrational fear of homosexual persons.”

After years of debate among Canadian Anglicans, same-sex unions are now being “blessed” in many Canadian Anglican churches, including in Metro Vancouver, where it is not uncommon to have Anglican priests who are openly gay. (Many ministers in the United Church of Canada are also gay or lesbian.)

Following private discussions with the Ugandan Anglican Church, the Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams has said in a public interview that he did not see how any Anglican could support it.

“Overall, the proposed legislation is of shocking severity and I can’t see how it could be supported by any Anglican who is committed to what the Communion has said in recent decades. Apart from invoking the death penalty, it makes pastoral care impossible – it seeks to turn pastors into informers.”

http://blogs.vancouv...execution-bill/

A documentary titled The Gospel of Intolerance explores how American evangelicals have turned their attention to Africa as a fertile field for hate of homosexuality after concluding the arid immoral land of North America is lost for biblical law.

Here is a clip from the documentary.
http://www.nytimes.c...ntolerance.html

Douglas Todd who writes on ethics and religious matters for the Vancouver Sun explores this disturbing phenomenon.

“Those who are ready to kill those who are being homosexual, hands up!”

Those are the shouted words of a Ugandan preacher in a chilling documentary about North American evangelicals’ growing influence in the predominantly Christian African country.

The Gospel of Intolerance, by Roger Ross Williams, shows how evangelicals in North America often donate to African missions that encourage Ugandan bishops to teach that homosexuality is an abomination punishable by death.

The Ugandan government, which is heavily influenced by the country’s 85 per cent Christian majority, is actively looking at whether to bring in capital punishment for homosexual behaviour. The government is being incited by U.S.-backed preachers like Bishop Julius Oyet. Canadian Anglican bishops have taken a public stand against it.

At one point in this disturbing film, Oyet yells to a crowd of Africans: “Give us a nation free of homosexuality!”

The country of Uganda, whose population is largely poor and illiterate, is becoming ever more extreme in its anti-homosexual attitudes, the film shows. That’s in large part because of the strong moral and financial support of North American evangelicals who declare homosexuality a “perversion.” A gay Ugandan victim of police torture is interviewed.

The Gospel of Intolerance (which can be sampled here in an eight-minute clip on a New York Times website) quotes preachers and others from the United States’ International House of Prayer. The filmmaker says such North American evangelists believe they have “a God-given right to rule the world.”

Since such hard-line evangelicals have given up on trying to control sexual behaviour in liberal North America, Williams says in the documentary, they are putting their money and time into convincing African people that homosexual activity warrants fierce retribution.

The film suggests some well-meaning white, black and Hispanic evangelicals in North America believe, when they give to African missions, they are donating only to help poor people find food and shelter. The film makes it clear a portion of their funds go to supporting preachers who fuel hatred of gays and lesbians in the beleaguered country.

http://blogs.vancouv...xuals-hands-up/

It seems these evangelicals have forgotten a most basic commandment - Thou shalt not kill.
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#2 KoreanHockeyFan

KoreanHockeyFan

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,751 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:26 AM

Sigh...

#3 Rounoush

Rounoush

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:46 AM

Posted Image

2dgqi51.jpgfcvifc.jpg
Thanks a bunch to khalifawiz501 and Discord for the signatures.

#4 Red Light Racicot

Red Light Racicot

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:09 AM

I hate to be so cynical, but this is consistent with the way these people think and is hardly surprising to me.

Evangelicals tend to take things to the extreme. Emnity drives them. This is where parents tell children that Harry Potter is a Warlock and deserves to die.

Edited by Red Light Racicot, 25 January 2013 - 07:20 AM.

#5 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:13 AM

Well...color ME (un)surprised. Hate and fear are their two biggest commodities...why wouldn't they want to export them places where none existed before...
Posted Image

Well I tell you what Heretic..if Tim Tebow becomes Terry Bradshaw I will shave off all my hair, convert to Christianity, go into the ministry and become a preacher.

#6 TheNoelPatrol

TheNoelPatrol

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:32 AM

Please note that if you actually read the article it says that the Canadian Anglicans are against this death penalty and supportive of gays.

QUOTE (diesel_3 @ Aug 28 2009, 11:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well..any way you slice it....Mike Gillis just pimp-slapped the Western Conference.

#7 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,812 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:56 AM

It seems these evangelicals have forgotten a most basic commandment - Thou shalt not kill.

Amen to that.

They also forget Mathew 7, I guess they see themselves as "divine"....

Do Not Judge Others

Jesus declares that the person judging will be judged (v. 1) because judging assumes a divine prerogative; final judgment belongs to God alone, and those who seek to judge others now will answer then for usurping God's position (see also 6:12-15).

God Will Judge Us the Way We Judge Others (7:1-2)

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

cdc-unavailable.jpg

#8 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,812 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:57 AM

I hate to be so cynical, but this is consistent with the way these people think and is hardly surprising to me.

Evangelicals tend to take things to the extreme. Emnity drives them. This is where parents tell children that Harry Potter is a Warlock and deserves to die.

Some Evangelicals....not all....just like some Christians....not all....just like some humans....not all...

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

cdc-unavailable.jpg

#9 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:24 AM

Some Evangelicals....not all....just like some Christians....not all....just like some humans....not all...

Some evangelicals...I like to call them the televangelicals...are so full of crap it's coming out of their ears. I highly doubt the Jesus dude would appreciate 99% of what they are doing...and these award winners mentioned in the OP are only the tip of the iceberg, really. Evangelicals and holy rollers here diligently believe that if you are any other denomination..any other type of Christian, that you are going to hell..or that you are a devil worshiper. Another thing that gets my goat...when one of these holy rolling snake handlers gets bitten by a rattlesnake and dies from his stupidity..they destroy the snake...as if it's the snake's fault for naturally responding to being disturbed in such a manner. LOL wtf man.
Posted Image

Well I tell you what Heretic..if Tim Tebow becomes Terry Bradshaw I will shave off all my hair, convert to Christianity, go into the ministry and become a preacher.

#10 Oregon Canucky

Oregon Canucky

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:36 PM

The only thing that bothers me is that this is touted like Canadians dont have "hate groups"...

You guys DO have hate groups dont you? if not, im so moving in with you guys (would like to anyway. =P)
Posted Image

Portland Oregon: The first U.S. city to play for the Stanley Cup!

#11 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:39 PM

The only thing that bothers me is that this is touted like Canadians dont have "hate groups"...

You guys DO have hate groups dont you? if not, im so moving in with you guys (would like to anyway. =P)

We have hate groups but we also have criminal and civil laws against hate speech.
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#12 G.K. Chesterton

G.K. Chesterton

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,118 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:44 PM

The ironic thing is now you have taken the extreme position of labeling all evangelicals as extreme (no "some" or "a significant amount"). For my part, I think you're confusing evangelicals with fundamentalists.
“Reason is itself a matter of faith. It is an act of faith to assert that our thoughts have any relation to reality at all.” - G.K. Chesterton

“Unbelief is as much of a choice as belief is. What makes it in many ways more appealing is that whereas to believe in something requires some measure of understanding and effort, not to believe doesn't require much of anything at all.” - Frederick Buechner

“All human nature vigorously resists grace because grace changes us and the change is painful.” - Flannery O'Connor

“My argument against God was that the universe seemed so cruel and unjust. But how had I got this idea of just and unjust? A man does not call a line crooked unless he has some idea of a straight line. What was I comparing this universe with when I called it unjust?” - C.S. Lewis

#13 Buggernut

Buggernut

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,526 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:00 PM

Does the phrase "same crap, different pile" apply when it comes to the big two Abrahamic religions?

#14 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:03 PM

Does the phrase "same crap, different pile" apply when it comes to the big two Abrahamic religions?

You know man I always wondered...if the monotheists all believe in one god and that god is pretty much the same guy from all three stories...what is all the fighting about? Is it just because they all call this god a different name? Sounds like a pretty foolish thing to have a war over, if you ask me.

Edited by Scott Hartnell's Mane, 25 January 2013 - 01:03 PM.

Posted Image

#15 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,219 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:03 PM

Yes .. and "same crap, different translation" too ..

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#16 KoreanHockeyFan

KoreanHockeyFan

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,751 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:30 PM

The ironic thing is now you have taken the extreme position of labeling all evangelicals as extreme (no "some" or "a significant amount"). For my part, I think you're confusing evangelicals with fundamentalists.

Amen to that.

#17 Red Light Racicot

Red Light Racicot

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:17 PM

I said they had a tendency to take things to the extreme, the other branches usually dont do this kind of stuff.

Believe it or not (given youre not an Evangelical) you could almost say that Im on your side here. These guys make the rest of you look bad.

Edited by Red Light Racicot, 25 January 2013 - 03:19 PM.

#18 Kryten

Kryten

Aladdin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,479 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:00 PM

Some evangelicals...I like to call them the televangelicals...are so full of crap it's coming out of their ears. I highly doubt the Jesus dude would appreciate 99% of what they are doing...and these award winners mentioned in the OP are only the tip of the iceberg, really. Evangelicals and holy rollers here diligently believe that if you are any other denomination..any other type of Christian, that you are going to hell..or that you are a devil worshiper. Another thing that gets my goat...when one of these holy rolling snake handlers gets bitten by a rattlesnake and dies from his stupidity..they destroy the snake...as if it's the snake's fault for naturally responding to being disturbed in such a manner. LOL wtf man.

Fan made vid, some people (like I did) will find it funny, others will find it sad and others will perhaps find it awesome (the song is good).

Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.