117 replies to this topic

#91 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,693 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:15 PM

Neely. Tom Watt was one of the Canucks worst coaches...

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#92 kilgore

kilgore

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:22 PM

Martin Gelinas + Kirk Mclean for some bs hurricanes players.

this

One of Keenan's idiotic moves. Gelinas was coming off of one of his best seasons with 30+ goals, voted MVP. He loved playing here and was the composite team guy. An injury at the beginning of the season gave Keenan the excuse to trade off one of players that was in the Linden camp. (rumours of a divide in the room between Keenan's pets like Messier and the old guard of Linden and his friends)

Of course karma comes back to bite us in the but when Martin scores the overtime winner in Game 7 of round one against Calgary in 2004. Stupid stupid trade.

#93 disisdayear

disisdayear

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:12 PM

BIGGEST, MOST UNDERRATED CANUCK MISTAKES OF THE PAST TEN YEARS:

1. Steve Kariya was dumped for Mikko Jokela! WHAT A JOKE! We hate young talent1!!
2. We traded the pick that ended up being Goligoski for a few games of Johan Hedberg! Golly that stunk!
3. We let Brian Burke go for nothing! What a no-nuts move that was!
4. We lost out on Fedor Fedorov when we dumped him for Josef Balej! Goddamnit that guy turned into a popular icon!
5. We dumped Clouts for picks that wound up being garbage! He had heart and we threw him in the trash!
6. Jason King! AGAIN we dump young talent! We traded him for Ryan Shannon, who we dumped later! WE HATE YOUTH!
7. Krajicek! That guy had top-4 offensive upside and keeping him meant we didn't need Ehrhoff! But we dumped him for O'Brien the Boozey McGee! Was No-Nuts high!?!
8. Daniel Rahimi and Patrick White both had untapped upside! Why did we dump them for Ehrhoff when Ehrhoff turned around and screwed us!?! Time to keep our youth, dammit!
9. Matt Schneider had veteran experience! We need that! But we dumped him for a pick that became Alex Friesen, bust!
10. Even Oberg looked like a future star! We dumped that young talent for Higgins the semi-retired bum!
11. Ditto Joel Perrault, who we ditched for Lappy the no-talent Hack!
12. SHIROKOV! Why on God's green earth would anyone trade that stud for Mike Duco? Mike Duco!?! NOT A HERO LIKE SHIRO!
13. Sturm and Sammy were both vets with playoff experience and GUTS! Booth hunts bears and sheep! BOOOOOOOO!
14. Pahlsson was a washout that we gave up picks and prospects for. All those prospects will become stars and all Pahlsson did was become Kopitar's puck pal in the playoffs. Speaking of Kopitar... KOPITAR!!! Why God Why did we not draft him!?!

Funny...

#94 bossram

bossram

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:36 PM

Neely trade is the obvious one.
What is the deal with Mike Gillis, it always seems like he's sweating...

#95 Amish Rake Fighter

Amish Rake Fighter

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,516 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:54 PM

Letting Rick Vaive go to the Leafs was brutal, I'm pretty sure he was the first 50 goal scorer in Leafs history and he did it 3 times.

#96 sting

sting

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:00 PM

also does anyone here remember the MATT COOKE trade that guy was the heart and soul of the team we traded him for matt pettinger although i do enjoy seeig my favorite canucks leaving to get a cup as they wont get one here

Really!!!

Cooke was traded because he repeatedly ran the opposition and made other Canuck players answer the bell for him. I believe the final straw was Ohlund getting pounded after stepping in as Cooker would not fight. I also recall if Cooke could have handled the job against Moore that fatefull night against the Avs Todd Bertuzzi's career path would have been altered. Getting rid of Cooke was addition by subtraction.

#97 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:09 PM

I'd love to redo the 07 draft

#98 dhawk11

dhawk11

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:09 PM

buffalo, vancouver trade with hodgson leaving, just hope kassian can keep up the scoring

#99 komodo1970

komodo1970

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:19 PM

Mike Peca

#100 nlife

nlife

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:59 PM

Alek Stojanov for Naslund. Brutal.
Posted Image

The Benchwarmers

-------
Raj: The only thing I've learned in the last two hours is that American men love drinking beer, pee too often, and have trouble getting erections.

Leonard: Focus on the game, not the commercials, Raj.

Raj: I'm just saying, maybe if you people cut back on the beer, you could get out of the bathroom and satisfy your women without pharmaceutical help.

#101 erkayloomeh

erkayloomeh

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:12 PM

Two trades...

Cam Neely for Barry Pederson

Rick Vaive and Bill Derlago for Tiger Williams and Jerry Butler

That wasnt such a bad trade. Tiger brought entertainment value and a little backbone. Jerry Butler stopped gretzky from getting another 50 goals against the canucks. His nickname for a while was "the shadow"
GOD BE PRAISED

#102 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,240 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:16 PM

Neely trade.

Keep Neely, draft Sakic = Winning

Letting Larionov go was a mistake too.
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#103 TheCammer

TheCammer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:09 AM

Neely trade.

Keep Neely, draft Sakic = Winning

Letting Larionov go was a mistake too.

You can't count Larionov as a mistake. The Canucks wanted to keep him but were required to pay the Russian Ice Hockey Federation a ridiculous sum to renew. Larionov , who was no big fan of the Soviet or Russian systems chose to sign in Switzerland to avoid the Canucks making a payment. The only mistake there was not resigning him when he decided to come back.
Posted Image

#104 TheCammer

TheCammer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:10 AM

That wasnt such a bad trade. Tiger brought entertainment value and a little backbone. Jerry Butler stopped gretzky from getting another 50 goals against the canucks. His nickname for a while was "the shadow"

No it was terrible. I'll take 50 goal and 70 point seasons over some asshat riding his stick everyday.
Posted Image

#105 CamTheCanuckFan

CamTheCanuckFan

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:31 AM

the Cam Neely trade

seahd2.jpg

:towel: Thanks To VC For The Sig!  :towel:

#106 Coconuts

Coconuts

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,041 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:26 AM

Neely trade.

Or if you want something more recent, trading for Ballard.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#107 BigRedMachine

BigRedMachine

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:43 AM

Alek Stojanov for Naslund. Brutal.

Yep, Stojanov had heart!

#108 BigRedMachine

BigRedMachine

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:45 AM

You can't count Larionov as a mistake. The Canucks wanted to keep him but were required to pay the Russian Ice Hockey Federation a ridiculous sum to renew. Larionov , who was no big fan of the Soviet or Russian systems chose to sign in Switzerland to avoid the Canucks making a payment. The only mistake there was not resigning him when he decided to come back.

But I seem to recall the "ridiculous" sum was something like $500,000, meaning we would have had to pay a total of $1 million. For Larionov.

#109 frazzY

frazzY

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:51 AM

I know Bure wanted out, but john mccaw and orca bay were a horrible ownership group.

I wish the Griffiths stuck around longer, or the Aquilinis took over 20 years earlier, because i know for a fact our players would have been treated better.

Bure was never treated like the franchises best ever player. It would have been a treat for him to finish his career here. Could u imagine bure AND the west coast express??

Could have equalled cups cuPS CUPS!

** also**

Lots of Ballard hate, the guy is not a bad dman, cap hit might be a bit high but its not like we gave him that contract.

At the time it looked like we fleeced florida cause they waived Grabner, and the Islanders are just reaping the benefits (which arent that great, CDC tends to over value "players that got away", the guy plays with Tavares.)

Edited by frazzY, 26 January 2013 - 11:56 AM.

#110 BigRedMachine

BigRedMachine

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:09 PM

Really..?

we've gottwn quite a few big names with florida, yes Bure left with a florida trade which was dumb but hey still you cant say every trade w/ florida was bad...
off the top of my head i can think of a few great players we got from them who have impacted our team in a great way !
we got players like
Lu
Jovocop (bure trade yes i know but still we loved this guy, who dosent?

I was exaggerating a bit.

I liked jovanovski, but we gave up too much for him. And we got Kevin weekes in that trade. What a head case.

With booth and Ballard, we didnt give up much, but they managed to saddle us with a couple of long term contracts for overpaid players who are mostly just taking up cap space.

#111 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:17 PM

Neely bure and hodgson are all terrible trades.

Cody is set to light it up this year.

Edited by Special Ed, 26 January 2013 - 12:18 PM.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#112 CodyHodgson's #1fan

CodyHodgson's #1fan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:43 PM

Neely bure and hodgson are all terrible trades.

Cody is set to light it up this year.

Yeah coho got 3 goals in the firat three games of the sabers season. Good for him, his forst scoreless game was last night, i hope he does light it up this year!
Always will love and support Cody Hodgson, great player, great potential great character, and I don't care about those stupid rumours about the trade. And we lost him, what a dissapointment. Love you COHO, forever a canuck in my heart!

One day Luongo will raise Lord Stanley's cup.
And show all those haters that he is the amazing goalie that he is.
No matter what jersey he wears, I will always be cheering for Luongo.

Forever Believe.

#113 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,471 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:27 PM

Well for trades that really only make a difference now I'd say the one that has had the most negative impact and wasn't needed would be the Cooke for Pettinger trade.

Coho for Kassian was a good trade for both teams and it seems needed to happen. (Common sense states that if you have a meeting with the coach about your role on the team days before the trade deadline you aren't happy with your current role.) What I would change however would be including Sulzer and Gragnani. Not a big deal really.

Grabner needed to be done or we would have lost him for nothing. Ballard was a good choice to bring back but I would have liked to have kept Bernier and not gotten Oreo in return. Again not a big deal.

I think the biggest gaff that would have an effect on todays team is getting rid of Cooke for Pettinger. Didn't really need to happen and it made the team worse.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#114 BigBadBertz

BigBadBertz

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:37 PM

Other then the obvious Cam Neely trade, one that I really didn't like was:

Bill Muckalt, Kevin Weekes, Dave Scatchard
for
Felix Potvin, 2nd round pick, 3rd round pick

I had high hopes for Muckalt and Scatchard!

ALSO

Russ Courtnall, Esa Tikkanen
for
Sergei Nemchinov, Brian Noonan

I absolutely hated trading Russ Courtnall and his speed!
QUOTE(vancitykid)
QUOTE(BigBadBertz)
WAR HAS BEEN DECLARED ON "captainmark" Join in the fun everybody!!!
HAHA *pokes captainmark in the eye*

#115 FelixPotvin29

FelixPotvin29

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:51 PM

You guys are all missing the most important one.

Felix Potvin for Lukas Mensator.

#116 canuckhound73

canuckhound73

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,179 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:27 PM

Stojanov for Naslund
Yes, Naslund had the more prolific career by miles....but in the end he still didnt generate success where it counted...in the playoffs.

If we had never got Naslund, we might have somewhere down the line filled that void with a player with some heart instead.

Stojanov, in Vancouver might have developed slightly different than he did in Pitt. Not saying he was going to be an NHL all-star, but he might have been a capable NHL 3rd liner with time, and while it still would have been a downgrade on offensive skill, at least he gave his all every game & didnt sulk when things didnt go his way. I'll take a player that is consistently average every game than 1 twho is great when games arent intense, and abysmal when games start to matter.

As for those of you who are ripping the Neely trade. Its only lopsided because Neely was able to develop in Boston... something he wasnt going to do here for at best 3 years with Smyl & Tanti, 2 players at the time who were practically untouchable in Vancouver, ahead of him in the roster. The part of the trade that made it most painful is that we added in the draft pick that became Glen Wesley. Neely for Pederson straight up was actually not a terrible trade in theory. We got a centre we needed, got rid of a right winger we couldnt find playing time for, and dont forget Barry had 2 70+ pt seasons here after the trade before his production started to taper off. Thats something Neely wasnt going to come close to here in that time.
Its ONLY a bad trade BECAUSE of the fact the Bruins managed to find a place for Neely and he had opportunity as a top 6 forward.
16 16 16 16
16 16 16 16
16 16 16 16
16 16 16 16

#117 canuckhound73

canuckhound73

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,179 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:45 PM

I never would of let Naslund finish of his last season in the NHL in New York... That was a weak move. He could have easily moved down the line up as Linden did (After we got him back, which he shouldn't have been traded anyways) At least we retired his number though, could of been a lot worse. Bure? Just as bad, if not worse. :picard:

EDIT: I'm not completely hating on the Linden trade though, we did get to see Bertuzzi in his glory days after all.

A- Naslund wasnt traded
B - He got FOUR MILLION a yr from the Rangers
C- Demitra got 53 pts in 69 GP on mostly the 2nd line, compared to Naslund getting 46 pts in 82 GP starting on the 1st line & being demoted to the 3rd line by seasons end in NY... Oh, and PAVOL COST LESS.

Then there was the simple politics of keeping him. Doing that would have meant having the Sedins accept they are 1A and not 1, as Naslund would not happily accept a 2nd line role. Do you still keep him Captain? If so, whats that say to the team? We accept mediocre crybabies? How do you justify paying 4M for a 2nd line filler? His value was in the decline for about 3 yrs & no one wanted to accept it on this forum or in the organization. It was a literal blessing Mike Gillis took over when he did.... if he didnt, we might still have Naslund, no 4 consecutive division titles, 2 Presidents Trophies & a Campbell trophy.... instead, we would be an above average team, would never got past round 2, wouldnt have 2 Art Ross Trophies & a Hart probably,.. and all to appease a guy who never gave even close to a 100% to this team?

Letting Naslund go was 1 of, if not the best, moves tis franchise has ever made.
16 16 16 16
16 16 16 16
16 16 16 16
16 16 16 16

#118 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,240 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:13 PM

Yep, Stojanov had heart! hits!

Fixed :)
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.