The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Size DOES Matter - Subway

Wetcoaster

Slightly differently, it annoys me when bars advertise a pint for x dollars but it is not 20 ounces. I've even had a bar manager tell me "That's our pint."

It's no different than a gas station telling you, "It's our litre."

/ In fact, I think I'm going to start a Vancouver Drinkers Rights Association. No more short pints, taking my glass before I'm done with it, or serving me a pitcher and telling me they close in 10 minutes. Who's in?

Slightly differently, it annoys me when bars advertise a pint for x dollars but it is not 20 ounces. I've even had a bar manager tell me "That's our pint."

It's no different than a gas station telling you, "It's our litre."

/ In fact, I think I'm going to start a Vancouver Drinkers Rights Association. No more short pints, taking my glass before I'm done with it, or serving me a pitcher and telling me they close in 10 minutes. Who's in?

Yet when you look up the exact dimensions of the measurement known as a foot...it states specifically that it is 12 inches. Your foot and the measurement foot are homographs and neither have any correlation to the other.

I have been buying lumber for years and 2x4s are not that nominal dimension.

My sister is a baker and she disagrees. While bread generally increases in volume it will often shrink in length if not proofed properly.

My reality matches the real world.

Yet when you look up the exact dimensions of the measurement known as a foot...it states specifically that it is 12 inches. Your foot and the measurement foot are homographs and neither have any correlation to the other.

It comes down to consumer law and whether or not the term "footlong" is a marketing term ( as a 2x4" has become) or actually descriptive of the product itself.

In this case Subway HQ in its statement seems to agree that "footlong" is supposed to mean 12 inches. Furthermore if you look at the smaller sub sandwiches that are cut in half from "footlong" loaves, they are advertised and sold as 6" sandwiches which to me would be determinative under the law dealing with deceptive advertising practises.

So...does Subway specifically state that the name of their "foot longs" are based on the unit of measurement?

Or is it just a trade name?

You know, like how they have a small, medium, and large drink size? (and extra large in the US).

Wendy's calls (used to?) theirs a "biggie". How many ounces/mili liters in that?

generally increases hmmm... so what like 1 out of 100 times it shrink.

oh and yes get me on the nominal legth rather than the point I was making :picard: .

The point is LENGTH MATTERS - ESPECIALLY IN LUMBER/CONSTRUCTION!!!!!!

Does your brother the carpenter disagree? :rolleyes:

Edit: all your points are invalid so you can stop now.

So...does Subway specifically state that the name of their "foot longs" are based on the unit of measurement?

You know, like how they have a small, medium, and large drink size? (and extra large in the US).

Wendy's calls (used to?) theirs a "biggie". How many ounces/mili liters in that?

You know, like how they have a small, medium, and large drink size?  (and extra large in the US).

Wendy's calls (used to?) theirs a "biggie".  How many ounces/mili liters in that?

Archived