233 replies to this topic

#31 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:24 PM

Where does it say "footlong" is exactly 12 inches.

Again...see my lame reference to 2 x 4's.

One foot = 12 inches. that is not negotiable...it is not 11.99 inches, it's 12 inches. and possibly the reason footlong isn't a word is because you've omitted the hyphen. Foot-long clearly states that whatever it is in question is the length of a foot...which is...12 inches.
Posted Image

Well I tell you what Heretic..if Tim Tebow becomes Terry Bradshaw I will shave off all my hair, convert to Christianity, go into the ministry and become a preacher.

#32 c00kies

c00kies

Cookie Monster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,593 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:31 PM

Where does it say "footlong" is exactly 12 inches.

Again...see my lame reference to 2 x 4's.

Maybe people don't understand the 1 1/2 X 3 1/2 reference :bigblush:
Posted Image
Thanks to Blueberries for the sig :)

#33 Oregon Canucky

Oregon Canucky

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:32 PM

Theyll add an inch, no problem! Then theyll add a dime to the cost too... haha!
Posted Image

Portland Oregon: The first U.S. city to play for the Stanley Cup!

#34 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,271 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:34 PM

One foot = 12 inches. that is not negotiable...it is not 11.99 inches, it's 12 inches. and possibly the reason footlong isn't a word is because you've omitted the hyphen. Foot-long clearly states that whatever it is in question is the length of a foot...which is...12 inches.

Is it?

Maybe it's the length of someone's actual foot?

11 inches is closer to a foot then say 7.

If 1.5 inches = 2 and 3.5 inches = 4, why can't 11 = 12?

99 cents isn't a dollar, but it's close enough.
When you pay for something with cash, do you ask for that penny?

Course, in Canada you'll be out of luck as the penny is about to go away.

http://www.mint.ca/s...e-penny-6900002

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#35 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:37 PM

Is it?

Maybe it's the length of someone's actual foot?

11 inches is closer to a foot then say 7.

If 1.5 inches = 2 and 3.5 inches = 4, why can't 11 = 12?

99 cents isn't a dollar, but it's close enough.
When you pay for something with cash, do you ask for that penny?

Course, in Canada you'll be out of luck as the penny is about to go away.

http://www.mint.ca/s...e-penny-6900002

WTF are you talking about? 12 inches is a foot just as 299,792,458 m/s is the speed of light. Neither of these are negotiable. Let's use that logic and try to make 2 + 2 = 5. lol.

Edited by Scott Hartnell's Mane, 25 January 2013 - 02:52 PM.

Posted Image

Well I tell you what Heretic..if Tim Tebow becomes Terry Bradshaw I will shave off all my hair, convert to Christianity, go into the ministry and become a preacher.

#36 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:45 PM

He is referring to the fact that if you go into lumber supply store and ask for a "2x4" you will not get a piece of lumber in that dimension since a finished 2x4 is in fact smaller. It usually varies between1 3/8 to1 5/8 and 3 3/8to3 5/8 due to the fact rough cut green lumber is usually pretty close to 2x4 but as it dries and is finished it becomes smaller.

Edited by hockeyville88, 25 January 2013 - 02:48 PM.

To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#37 King Heffy

King Heffy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,034 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:46 PM

I'm ok with the bun being a bit shorter as long as the toppings are standardized in portion, which they are (meat and cheese), 1 inch shorter = more meat with every mouthful. :bigblush:

CMc20QE.gif

Put Gino in the ROH

#38 theminister

theminister

Head Troll

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,133 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:48 PM

Slightly differently, it annoys me when bars advertise a pint for x dollars but it is not 20 ounces. I've even had a bar manager tell me "That's our pint."

It's no different than a gas station telling you, "It's our litre."

/ In fact, I think I'm going to start a Vancouver Drinkers Rights Association. No more short pints, taking my glass before I'm done with it, or serving me a pitcher and telling me they close in 10 minutes. Who's in?

Posted ImageNEW YORK ISLANDERS ROSTER - CDC GM LEAGUEPosted Image

2013 CDCGML CUP CHAMPIONS

#39 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,927 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:51 PM

He is referring to the fact that if you go into lumber supply store and ask for a "2x4" you will not get a piece of lumber in that dimension since a finished 2x4 is in fact smaller. It usually varies between1 3/8 to1 5/8 and 3 3/8to3 5/8 due to the fact rough cut green lumber is usually pretty close to 2x4 but as it dries and is finished it becomes smaller.

But it is 2X4 when it is cut no? Not to mention we are not talking about the width of the sandwich but the length! If you need a 10 foot LONG 2x4, 9' 7/8" in length is not right and it won't work!

Edited by Aladeen, 25 January 2013 - 02:55 PM.

Posted Image

#40 jmfaminoff

jmfaminoff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,845 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:51 PM

Read the article carefully. Subway is claiming that it does not undersize the bread dough, but the chain states that the individual franchisees and their employees are not proofing their dough long enough to get the correct size. Having worked for Subway for five years, I know that following the righ procedures is what produces great bread.

#41 King Heffy

King Heffy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,034 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:53 PM

Slightly differently, it annoys me when bars advertise a pint for x dollars but it is not 20 ounces. I've even had a bar manager tell me "That's our pint."

/ In fact, I think I'm going to start a Vancouver Drinkers Rights Association. No more short pints, taking my glass before I'm done with it, or serving me a pitcher and telling me they close in 10 minutes. Who's in?

That's far more blatant false advertising, as the glass designed to hold the "pint" isn't capable of holding the proper quantity, Fortunately the types of places I get beer at specialize in beer and would be out of business for misrepresenting themselves in this manner.

CMc20QE.gif

Put Gino in the ROH

#42 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:01 PM

Quite different actually.

There are actual rules on pints and serving sizes.
http://www.pssg.gov....ive-2010-04.pdf

And a litre of gas is corrected to 15 degrees C and may be more or less than a litre by law depending upon the actual temperature.

What is an automatic temperature compensator?

An automatic temperature compensator is an electronic device which measures the temperature of petroleum products during delivery and automatically calculates the amount of product as though it had been delivered at 15°C. This practice is known as automatic temperature compensation (ATC).

How does temperature compensation affect the way I buy gasoline?

The volume of gasoline expands and contracts with changes in temperature. Selling gasoline on a temperature compensated basis removes the inequities that can result when the volume of gasoline changes due to temperature fluctuations.

Automatic temperature compensation has long been used when petroleum products are bought and sold internationally and at the wholesale level. The use of automatic temperature compensation at the international, wholesale and retail levels of trade provides a more accurate and equitable approach through the use of a standard reference temperature and benefits Canadians by removing the effects of temperature when purchasing petroleum products.

http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/mc-mc.nsf/eng/lm04344.html

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

#43 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:03 PM

But it is 2X4 when it is cut no? Not to mention we are not talking about the width of the sandwich but the length! If you need a 10 foot LONG 2x4, 9' 7/8" in length is not right and it won't work!

You seem to have missed the point.

The bread may in fact have measured 12 inches before being baked.

McDonalds sells quarter pounders that have patties less than that weight when cooked.

#44 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,927 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:06 PM

You seem to have missed the point.

The bread may in fact have measured 12 inches before being baked.

McDonalds sells quarter pounders that have patties less than that weight when cooked.

Um actually the bread would be way less than 12 inches as the yeast causes bread to expand not contract.
Posted Image

#45 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,271 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:06 PM

WTF are you talking about? 12 inches is a foot just as 299,792,458 m/s is the speed of light. Neither of these are negotiable. Let's use that logic and try to make 2 + 2 = 5. lol.

Let me put this another way...

My foot on the end of my leg isn't exactly 12 inches long.
Yet it's still called a foot.

Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#46 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:10 PM

Let me put this another way...

My foot on the end of my leg isn't exactly 12 inches long.
Yet it's still called a foot.

Yet when you look up the exact dimensions of the measurement known as a foot...it states specifically that it is 12 inches. Your foot and the measurement foot are homographs and neither have any correlation to the other.

Edited by Scott Hartnell's Mane, 25 January 2013 - 03:10 PM.

Posted Image

#47 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:12 PM

Um actually the bread would be way less than 12 inches as the yeast causes bread to expand not contract.

Lol what physics are in your reality? It must be a strange world where you can use randomly lengthed 2X4s and your bread contracts

I have been buying lumber for years and 2x4s are not that nominal dimension.

My sister is a baker and she disagrees. While bread generally increases in volume it will often shrink in length if not proofed properly.

My reality matches the real world.

#48 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,927 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:14 PM

Yet when you look up the exact dimensions of the measurement known as a foot...it states specifically that it is 12 inches. Your foot and the measurement foot are homographs and neither have any correlation to the other.

What?!?! A single word in the english language can have two different meanings? It must be witchcraft!!!
Posted Image

#49 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,927 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:17 PM

I have been buying lumber for years and 2x4s are not that nominal dimension.

My sister is a baker and she disagrees. While bread generally increases in volume it will often shrink in length if not proofed properly.

My reality matches the real world.

generally increases hmmm... so what like 1 out of 100 times it shrink.

oh and yes get me on the nominal legth rather than the point I was making :picard: .

The point is LENGTH MATTERS - ESPECIALLY IN LUMBER/CONSTRUCTION!!!!!!
Does your brother the carpenter disagree? :rolleyes:

Edit: all your points are invalid so you can stop now.

Edited by Aladeen, 25 January 2013 - 03:18 PM.

Posted Image

#50 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:19 PM

It comes down to consumer law and whether or not the term "footlong" is a marketing term ( as a 2x4" has become) or actually descriptive of the product itself.

In this case Subway HQ in its statement seems to agree that "footlong" is supposed to mean 12 inches. Furthermore if you look at the smaller sub sandwiches that are cut in half from "footlong" loaves, they are advertised and sold as 6" sandwiches which to me would be determinative under the law dealing with deceptive advertising practises.

#51 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,271 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:21 PM

So...does Subway specifically state that the name of their "foot longs" are based on the unit of measurement?
Or is it just a trade name?

You know, like how they have a small, medium, and large drink size? (and extra large in the US).

Wendy's calls (used to?) theirs a "biggie". How many ounces/mili liters in that?

Posted Image

#52 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:21 PM

It comes down to consumer law and whether or not the term "footlong" is a marketing term ( as a 2x4" has become) or actually descriptive of the product itself.

In this case Subway HQ in its statement seems to agree that "footlong" is supposed to mean 12 inches. Furthermore if you look at the smaller sub sandwiches that are cut in half from "footlong" loaves, they are advertised and sold as 6" sandwiches which to me would be determinative under the law dealing with deceptive advertising practises.

Whether Subway agrees or not a foot is now, always has been and forever will be 12 inches. Marketing aside...it is not an arguable point that a foot is 12 inches...what is so difficult to understand about this?
Posted Image

#53 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:23 PM

So...does Subway specifically state that the name of their "foot longs" are based on the unit of measurement?

You know, like how they have a small, medium, and large drink size? (and extra large in the US).

Wendy's calls (used to?) theirs a "biggie". How many ounces/mili liters in that?

A foot is 12 inches. I am finished with this pointless banter. Subway's foot is no different than a carpenter's foot, unless it's NOT a foot! As they advertise a foot long...what the hell do you think they mean by "foot"? Hachi machi!
Posted Image

#54 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,271 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:24 PM

Whether Subway agrees or not a foot is now, always has been and forever will be 12 inches. Marketing aside...it is not an arguable point that a foot is 12 inches...what is so difficult to understand about this?

Or...if the US would join the rest of the world, 30.48 centimeters.

Posted Image

#55 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:25 PM

Or...if the US would join the rest of the world, 30.48 centimeters.

Wish in one hand...they haven't adopted the metric system by now...it won't ever happen.
Posted Image

#56 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:27 PM

generally increases hmmm... so what like 1 out of 100 times it shrink.

oh and yes get me on the nominal legth rather than the point I was making :picard: .

The point is LENGTH MATTERS - ESPECIALLY IN LUMBER/CONSTRUCTION!!!!!!
Does your brother the carpenter disagree? :rolleyes:

Edit: all your points are invalid so you can stop now.

We are not talking length we are talking nominal dimensions of lumber - i.e a 2x4 is not in fact 2" x 4". If we were talking about cut length (which we are not) and not just nominal dimension of lumber (which we are) you may have something to debate (but you do not).

Actually I started working in my grandfather's cabinetmaking shop when I was young 'un and I have been woodworking for a half century. I also worked in stick frame construction when I was a student.

#57 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:28 PM

See:
http://forum.canucks...0#entry11092206

#58 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:33 PM

Last comment on this. I don't think anyone on this planet and especially in this country should be buying food by the foot in the first place.
Posted Image

#59 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:34 PM

You miss the point. Consumer law looks at advertising and its intent.

If "footlong" is a marketing term (the position Subway in Australia took) and not a term describing the product itself (i.e being 12 inches long) then if it is less than 12 inches, it is not a deceptive practise.

OTOH if "footlong" is taken to mean a sub loaf that is 12 inches long and being sold as such and it is not then it would prima facie be a deceptive consumer practise. In the US Subway agrees with the latter use it would seem from its statement and this may in fact be do to differing consumer law between Australia and the various US states.

#60 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:37 PM

You know, like how they have a small, medium, and large drink size?  (and extra large in the US).

Wendy's calls (used to?) theirs a "biggie".  How many ounces/mili liters in that?

This reminds me of that Parks and Rec episode with the child-sized soda:

Posted Image

The fast-food chain rep's explanation was:

“Well, it’s roughly the size of a two year old child if the child were liquified. It’s a real bargain at $1.59.”
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.