Posted Image

#212 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:05 AM

I would get into a discussion about how this is not black or white in the big picture sense, but since you believe you are never wrong, it is pointless.

That's why I've stopped engaging, myself. It's not fun arguing with a brick wall.
Posted Image

View PostScott Hartnell, on 11 June 2013 - 02:11 PM, said:

Well I tell you what Heretic..if Tim Tebow becomes Terry Bradshaw I will shave off all my hair, convert to Christianity, go into the ministry and become a preacher.

#213 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,714 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:46 AM

I disagree.

IMHO the cases are not "clearly ridiculous" nor "wasteful". The legislatures have set out standards to be met and failure to meet such statutory standards results in potential liability.

You take it incorrectly.

I think you disagree because you're in favour of the same, clearly flawed system. Blindly in favour of it, in fact. Justifying your support of it through typical means is, of course, your right, but imho if you just take a step back and look at the whole picture, you'll realize just how wrong it all looks.

I believe the majority of people out there agree that currently there is far too much wasteful litigation taking place.

Because of these type of suits, the cost of insurance goes up, the cost of products and services goes up, certain undeserving lawyers and plaintiffs get rewarded, at times court resources gets consumed and legit cases get delayed, and it leads to poor patient care (in the case of medical liability).

These are problems that need solutions. Do you agree?
Posted Image

#214 J.R.

J.R.

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,045 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:09 AM

I think you disagree because you're in favour of the same, clearly flawed system. Blindly in favour of it, in fact. Justifying your support of it through typical means is, of course, your right, but imho if you just take a step back and look at the whole picture, you'll realize just how wrong it all looks.

I believe the majority of people out there agree that currently there is far too much wasteful litigation taking place.

Because of these type of suits, the cost of insurance goes up, the cost of products and services goes up, certain undeserving lawyers and plaintiffs get rewarded, at times court resources gets consumed and legit cases get delayed, and it leads to poor patient care (in the case of medical liability).

It's a pattern. Wet is "technically" right. The law is what the law is.

What Wet seems unable to grasp at times is that when people plainly see that existing laws, regulations, policies etc fall in to the categories of "never have made sense" or "no longer make sense" that what people are actually arguing for is that those laws/regulations/policies should be changed or abolished to better mesh with current reality.

Nobodies arguing that these idiots don't currently have every legal right to sue Subway for this. They certainly do. What we're arguing is that the laws as they exist pertaining to this are fracking stupid and a giant waste of tax payer resources and the laws should be corrected to rectify this.

If he does actually grasp this, then he's simply being willfully obtuse.

"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

jg4428.jpg2s9up7p.jpg

#215 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,792 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:22 AM

If Wetcoaster were from a different generation, I'm quite certain he would strenuously defend slavery, or the women's non-right to vote, because...well, it's the law!
Posted Image

#216 J.R.

J.R.

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,045 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:26 AM

If Wetcoaster were from a different generation, I'm quite certain he would strenuously defend slavery, or the women's non-right to vote, because...well, it's the law!

In fairness, that's his job. To argue existing laws to be enforced.

I think it's just a bit unfortunate that he seems to have difficulty seeing past that. It leaves him rather one dimensional and lacking a level of "humanity".

"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

jg4428.jpg2s9up7p.jpg

#217 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:30 AM

I agree - there are many uninformed people out there that do not understand the system and how it actually operates. The point is these are often minority or individual rights that are being protected which means the majority is the group from which protection is required.

In many of these cases (as with human rights) specialized tribunals have been established so that court resources are not an issue.

As far as wasteful litigation the courts have rules to dismiss frivolous cases that have no basis and to penalize the offending Plaintiff with costs and there are also provisions for pre-trial hearings and conferences, summary trials and hearings in Chambers to refine cases so that only matters which are in fact in issue are before the courts.

As I pointed out in the case of consumer fraud, in BC the Director has the discretion and power to take over cases and proceed criminally as well as civilly. At the end of the case the Director can seek a court order for compensation for consumers in addition to any financial of penal penalties imposed.

If a business is profiting by committing illegal or unlawful acts, then the major goals are to modify such behaviour and provide compensation to an aggrieved party or parties. I am sure that you can agree that is a good thing.
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#218 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:34 AM

It's a pattern. Wet is "technically" right. The law is what the law is.

What Wet seems unable to grasp at times is that when people plainly see that existing laws, regulations, policies etc fall in to the categories of "never have made sense" or "no longer make sense" that what people are actually arguing for is that those laws/regulations/policies should be changed or abolished to better mesh with current reality.

Nobodies arguing that these idiots don't currently have every legal right to sue Subway for this. They certainly do. What we're arguing is that the laws as they exist pertaining to this are fracking stupid and a giant waste of tax payer resources and the laws should be corrected to rectify this.

If he does actually grasp this, then he's simply being willfully obtuse.

No I am not being wilfully obtuse nor overly technical. My advantage is that I actually have knowledge of how the system operates.

It is up to the legislature to set the ground rules on such things as consumer fraud and human rights practises as provided under our Constitution.

As I pointed out if a court determines a law suit to be frivolous there are remedies.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

#219 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:34 AM

It's a good thing WC but something as petty as a missing inch on a god damned sandwich really isn't anything to be up in arms about. It's way too easy to sue anybody nowadays...it's completely without logic, and it's ludicrous to boot. I always wondered what kind of spare time these two meatheads must have even NOTICING a missing inch on a sandwich. It just sounds to me like they are trying to purposefully make a nuisance out of themselves. Who does anyone know here who ever before carried a tape measure around and measured the length of a sandwich? Doesn't anyone else see how stupid this case is?
Posted Image

Well I tell you what Heretic..if Tim Tebow becomes Terry Bradshaw I will shave off all my hair, convert to Christianity, go into the ministry and become a preacher.

#220 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:37 AM

Not so. On a number of occasions I have argued laws not be enforced.

#221 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:40 AM

And you would be mistaken.

#222 Kumquats

Kumquats

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:51 AM

It's the law that a footlong sandwich has to be 11 inches or else we can sue the crap out of them? haha. I want to see that law!
Posted Image

#223 J.R.

J.R.

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,045 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:57 AM

It's the law that a footlong sandwich has to be 11 inches or else we can sue the crap out of them? haha. I want to see that law!

No, it's law that products are advertised/decribed/promoted accurately.

..and I believe you meant "12 inches".

Edited by J.R., 31 January 2013 - 11:58 AM.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson

jg4428.jpg2s9up7p.jpg

#224 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:59 AM

This is true JR but this case is just nit-picky for the sake of being nit-picky. Bottom line.
Posted Image

#225 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,792 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:03 PM

Not so.  On a number of occasions I have argued laws not be enforced.

Everybody has a price!
Posted Image

#226 J.R.

J.R.

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,045 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:04 PM

This is true JR but this case is just nit-picky for the sake of being nit-picky. Bottom line.

Yup, as I've been arguing.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson

jg4428.jpg2s9up7p.jpg

#227 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:05 PM

It has already noted above.

#228 Kumquats

Kumquats

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:06 PM

Yes I meant 12 inches, lol. Let's not get into that again, for Hartnell's Mane's sanity.
Posted Image

#229 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:07 PM

Everybody has a price!

Actually some of those cases I took pro bono (aka no fee) as part of my professional obligations to serve the public interest and a number of others at a much reduced rate.

#230 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:07 PM

Yes I meant 12 inches, lol. Let's not get into that again, for Hartnell's Mane's sanity.

That ship has sailed my friend. In the words of Ozzy..."Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most". :frantic: :wacko:

Edited by Scott Hartnell's Mane, 31 January 2013 - 12:08 PM.

Posted Image

#231 Kumquats

Kumquats

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:10 PM

That ship has sailed my friend. In the words of Ozzy..."Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most". :frantic: :wacko:

The mind is a terrible thing to taste.
Posted Image

#232 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 31,714 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:23 PM

In these cases however, the cost associated with the litigation and the fallout outweigh any benefit gained from the outcome of the suits.

While there are legal steps to do... zZzZzZz... Whatever, it's apparent that there is still a lot of waste made by the way things are in the current system.

There have been solutions to the waste problem proposed in various forums. Of course, you'd be hard-pressed to find people who benefit from the waste, like lawyers, who would agree that something needs to be done about the waste.

That doesn't change the fact that the waste is still there.

I agree - there are many uninformed people out there that do not understand the system and how it actually operates. The point is these are often minority or individual rights that are being protected which means the majority is the group from which protection is required.

In many of these cases (as with human rights) specialized tribunals have been established so that court resources are not an issue.

As far as wasteful litigation the courts have rules to dismiss frivolous cases that have no basis and to penalize the offending Plaintiff with costs and there are also provisions for pre-trial hearings and conferences, summary trials and hearings in Chambers to refine cases so that only matters which are in fact in issue are before the courts.

As I pointed out in the case of consumer fraud, in BC the Director has the discretion and power to take over cases and proceed criminally as well as civilly. At the end of the case the Director can seek a court order for compensation for consumers in addition to any financial of penal penalties imposed.

If a business is profiting by committing illegal or unlawful acts, then the major goals are to modify such behaviour and provide compensation to an aggrieved party or parties. I am sure that you can agree that is a good thing.

Posted Image

#233 Tokasmoka

Tokasmoka

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:46 PM

I went to the South Surrey Subway to see infact if they lived up to thier claim. I went home and measured it ... 12inches exactly. Then i measured the sub and it was 12inches also.

The bread is the only thing i like from there. I felt like opening up a place called Quizway's by combining Subway's bread with Quizno's everything else but the lawyer advised against it.

#234 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:03 PM

Didn't subway blame the store operators?

In this vid they show the frozen dough that came thu Subway's supply chain.

I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.