The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rep. Allen West says women should join NHL

dudeone

Allen West Slams Women In Combat ‘Social Experiment,’ Suggests They Should Also Join NHL And NBA

by Matt Wilstein | 9:08 pm, January 24th, 2013

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/allen-west-slams-women-in-combat-‘social-experiment’-suggests-they-should-also-join-nhl-and-nba/

Former Republican Congressman and Army veteran Allen West made his views about the recent decision to allow women to serve in combat roles known this morning on Twitter and Facebook. And tonight, he brought those views to CNN.

Appearing on Anderson Cooper 360 along with retired General Rick Hillier of the Canadian Forces, West laid out his opposition to the new rule, saying that with all of the budget issues the military is having right now, the focus shouldn’t be on “this foray into an inequality trip.”

West then went off into an extended sports metaphor that seemed to have both Anderson Cooper and General Hillier baffled:

“I have to tell you, if this is the case, then why do we have separate hockey leagues? Women should be out there playing ice hockey with the guys in the NHL. We should not have a WNBA. I can’t shoot a three-pointer, but there are ladies who could certainly take me to the hoop. Maybe they should be competing with Kobe Bryant.”

Cooper quickly steered the conversation back to the more practical concerns surrounding women in combat, asking Hillier if he had seen any advantages in his career working with women in combat.

After attempting to dissuade some of West’s concerns, Hillier explained that “out in villages amongst the population of Afghanistan, our male soldiers simply could not speak to the females that were in the area.” He continued, “Our female soldiers could talk to them, could obtain all kinds of information, sometimes very actionable intelligence. They could do things that male soldiers simply couldn’t do because they were females and at the same time, they could do everything else that we asked them.”

But West could not be swayed, once again launching into his list of concerns and question regarding women’s ability to serve in the same roles as men. In the end, Hillier concluded that Canada’s decision to allow women to serve in combat in 1989 “was one of the most incredible things we could have ever done. Absolutely right, absolutely positive.”

I agree with most here. I think there are women at the level of NHL in skill, however i can't see a 130 pound woman getting back up from a open ice hit from a 230 pound man going 20mph at her.

A woman in the NHL would be a huge hit for fan base and girls hockey involvement though. So hopefully that day might come. (coming from a guy)

The difference is women can play in the NHL, it's just that none have shown the strength, speed, size, and skill to be able to compete. She would have to be a complete freak of nature to be able to win a spot on an NHL team.

However a woman is much more likely to be able to meet the physical demands of the military since she isn't competing with the best male athletes in the world.

I agree with most here. I think there are women at the level of NHL in skill, however i can't see a 130 pound woman getting back up from a open ice hit from a 230 pound man going 20mph at her.

A woman in the NHL would be a huge hit for fan base and girls hockey involvement though. So hopefully that day might come. (coming from a guy)

The difference is women can play in the NHL, it's just that none have shown the strength, speed, size, and skill to be able to compete.  She would have to be a complete freak of nature to be able to win a spot on an NHL team.

However a woman is much more likely to be able to meet the physical demands of the military since she isn't competing with the best male athletes in the world.

The goal is not for women to join the NHL or NBA folks. We want our own leagues that play at our level. We are not deluding ourselves into thinking that a co-ed NHL will ever be an option. The dream and the goal is that someday we will have a league of our own where the level of play is so high that it draws enough revenue for the players to get paid and earn a living just like the men

Till then our women play for the right reason: passion

I understand why female skaters can't compete against men, but what about goaltending?

Either than that PR stint by the TBL way back when, why can't women play goalie? A position focused on positioning, reaction and flexibility, you'd assume it would be a good fit (assuming the women is like 6'2")

Archived