39 replies to this topic

#1 dudeone

dudeone

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:49 PM

Allen West Slams Women In Combat ‘Social Experiment,’ Suggests They Should Also Join NHL And NBA

by Matt Wilstein | 9:08 pm, January 24th, 2013

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/allen-west-slams-women-in-combat-‘social-experiment’-suggests-they-should-also-join-nhl-and-nba/

Former Republican Congressman and Army veteran Allen West made his views about the recent decision to allow women to serve in combat roles known this morning on Twitter and Facebook. And tonight, he brought those views to CNN.

Appearing on Anderson Cooper 360 along with retired General Rick Hillier of the Canadian Forces, West laid out his opposition to the new rule, saying that with all of the budget issues the military is having right now, the focus shouldn’t be on “this foray into an inequality trip.”

West then went off into an extended sports metaphor that seemed to have both Anderson Cooper and General Hillier baffled:

“I have to tell you, if this is the case, then why do we have separate hockey leagues? Women should be out there playing ice hockey with the guys in the NHL. We should not have a WNBA. I can’t shoot a three-pointer, but there are ladies who could certainly take me to the hoop. Maybe they should be competing with Kobe Bryant.”

Cooper quickly steered the conversation back to the more practical concerns surrounding women in combat, asking Hillier if he had seen any advantages in his career working with women in combat.

After attempting to dissuade some of West’s concerns, Hillier explained that “out in villages amongst the population of Afghanistan, our male soldiers simply could not speak to the females that were in the area.” He continued, “Our female soldiers could talk to them, could obtain all kinds of information, sometimes very actionable intelligence. They could do things that male soldiers simply couldn’t do because they were females and at the same time, they could do everything else that we asked them.”

But West could not be swayed, once again launching into his list of concerns and question regarding women’s ability to serve in the same roles as men. In the end, Hillier concluded that Canada’s decision to allow women to serve in combat in 1989 “was one of the most incredible things we could have ever done. Absolutely right, absolutely positive.”

#2 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:54 PM

You already posted this and it was locked.

http://forum.canucks...-also-join-nhl/

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 25 January 2013 - 02:57 PM.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#3 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,970 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:57 PM

No thanks.

No offence ladies.
Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#4 dudeone

dudeone

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:57 PM

You already posted this and it was locked.

http://forum.canucks...-also-join-nhl/

Yes, the person that locked it didn't understand that it was a seperate subject. It's been "repurposed" here

#5 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,304 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:03 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,575 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:04 PM

If there was a woman that was good enough to play in the NHL, then I'm sure it would happen.
Posted Image

#7 stexx

stexx

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:13 PM

yep, if they have the talent and ability to play in the NHL all the power to them.

#8 *VaNcOuVeRCaNuCkS*

*VaNcOuVeRCaNuCkS*

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,381 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:17 PM

POPULAR

I could just see the headlines

"Chara kills woman in huge open ice hit"

Posted Image

^Vintage Canuck^

CDC STHS Hockey League Commissioner

CDC STHS Tampa Bay Lightning

#9 Mr. White

Mr. White

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:19 PM

If there was a woman that was good enough to play in the NHL, then I'm sure it would happen.

Posted Image
^VanCauck93^

#10 jatylo

jatylo

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:40 PM

I agree with most here. I think there are women at the level of NHL in skill, however i can't see a 130 pound woman getting back up from a open ice hit from a 230 pound man going 20mph at her.

A woman in the NHL would be a huge hit for fan base and girls hockey involvement though. So hopefully that day might come. (coming from a guy)

#11 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,524 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:40 PM

The difference is women can play in the NHL, it's just that none have shown the strength, speed, size, and skill to be able to compete. She would have to be a complete freak of nature to be able to win a spot on an NHL team.

However a woman is much more likely to be able to meet the physical demands of the military since she isn't competing with the best male athletes in the world.

Edited by etsen3, 25 January 2013 - 03:41 PM.

#12 Lockhart

Lockhart

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:44 PM

Best female hockey player in the WORLD is Wickenheiser and what is she playing like, tier 3 hockey in Finland or something. If women could compete with men in sports, they would..... but they can't.

#13 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,749 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:45 PM

I don't think women should serve in combat.

But then again, I don't think men should either.

[/endpacifistrant]
Posted Image

#14 Stefan

Stefan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:56 PM

I agree with most here. I think there are women at the level of NHL in skill, however i can't see a 130 pound woman getting back up from a open ice hit from a 230 pound man going 20mph at her.

A woman in the NHL would be a huge hit for fan base and girls hockey involvement though. So hopefully that day might come. (coming from a guy)

No there aren't. No professional female athlete is as good as a professional male athlete, otherwise they'd be playing amongst men.

gallery_9059_470_12899.jpg

(1 Peter 2:18)

Slaves, be subject to your masters with all reverence, not only to those who are good and equitable but also to those who are perverse.

#15 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,749 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:58 PM

The difference is women can play in the NHL, it's just that none have shown the strength, speed, size, and skill to be able to compete.  She would have to be a complete freak of nature to be able to win a spot on an NHL team.

However a woman is much more likely to be able to meet the physical demands of the military since she isn't competing with the best male athletes in the world.

This is the basis for the guy's argument. You basically summed up his position.

He is using sports to indicate, that in general, if a man and a woman both devote their life to training for a physical activity, in most cases the man will dominate the woman due to his physical advantages. As such, if the government is going to spend billions of dollars on military, and training their soldiers, then should be as strong and fast as possible. And sports of all types seem to indicate that men have an advantage.
Posted Image

#16 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,400 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:05 PM

POPULAR

The goal is not for women to join the NHL or NBA folks. We want our own leagues that play at our level. We are not deluding ourselves into thinking that a co-ed NHL will ever be an option. The dream and the goal is that someday we will have a league of our own where the level of play is so high that it draws enough revenue for the players to get paid and earn a living just like the men

Till then our women play for the right reason: passion
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#17 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 68,317 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:07 PM

Posted Image

First person that came to my mind, haha.

307mg00.jpg

#18 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:16 PM

this won't work.......the men will have hard time focusing on the ice if there are women are the team and hot too.......

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

WIN THE CUP FOR SALO CAMPAIGN

#19 _lax_

_lax_

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:23 PM

No there aren't. No professional female athlete is as good as a professional male athlete, otherwise they'd be playing amongst men.

Maybe it's just a poor choice of words by you, but there are sports where men & women compete against each other. An example of this of the top of my head is Equestrian or Archery. It's pretty damn obvious why women don't compete in the sports with physical contact, being a hundred pounds lighter on average.. it's not simply because they're across the board 'not as good' there caveman.

#20 Lancaster

Lancaster

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:51 PM

I understand why female skaters can't compete against men, but what about goaltending?

Either than that PR stint by the TBL way back when, why can't women play goalie? A position focused on positioning, reaction and flexibility, you'd assume it would be a good fit (assuming the women is like 6'2")

#21 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,318 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:51 PM

Maybe it's just a poor choice of words by you, but there are sports where men & women compete against each other. An example of this of the top of my head is Equestrian or Archery. It's pretty damn obvious why women don't compete in the sports with physical contact, being a hundred pounds lighter on average.. it's not simply because they're across the board 'not as good' there caveman.

If those archers start a sport where they aim for each other instead of foam targets, and women still have a place, then we'll talk.

Seriously though, im sure there's many positions that could successfully be made available for women, but as far as marine/seal/swat type stuff, it's a mans world.

#22 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,318 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:54 PM

I understand why female skaters can't compete against men, but what about goaltending?

Either than that PR stint by the TBL way back when, why can't women play goalie? A position focused on positioning, reaction and flexibility, you'd assume it would be a good fit (assuming the women is like 6'2")

It's more likely for a female goaltender to make it over a skater, but still, im sure it's been tried by many and they all get vented. There's still plenty of contact with loose pucks and crease crashers.

#23 King Heffy

King Heffy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,040 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:54 PM

First person that came to my mind, haha.

Not the first picture though. :bigblush:

zWXdYPq.png

#24 Lockhart

Lockhart

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:56 PM

Don't have the strength or size.

#25 jovocop55

jovocop55

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,940 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:00 PM

it will never happen unless she's a goalie... size and weight is too much difference if playing forward or defense..

as for nba, imagine how many guys will hug or grab the lady on purpose.. :bigblush:

Edited by jovocop55, 25 January 2013 - 06:01 PM.

#26 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,177 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:08 PM

If one was good enough im sure she would make it. Theres some pretty skilled chicks out there but im afraid they wouldnt last long physically. Is she going to be willing to take punches to the head and cross checks to the mouth every time she jams away at a loose puck in the crease? she would have to be a complete freak of nature beast to take the abuse a male hockey player takes.

they should allow women to get majorly roided out and join the ahl lol imagin playing on a line with a girl that looks like cristine cyborg santos haha

#27 zombieksa

zombieksa

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,929 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:12 PM

It is not a variance of skill but of size, too many rules that are staples of the NHL would have to change in order for this to happen.

I love the idea, my aunt is 5'2", 105lbs and avgs 5 hits a game in a woman's league in Peterborough, but it just isn't realistic.
"All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."
-Edgar Allen Poe

#28 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 25,400 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:14 PM

It's not impossible for a female goalie to play in the NHL. Shannon Szabados of Team Canada plays for the NAIT Ooks men's hockey team. She also played a few games for the Tri City Americans of the WHL but was bumped when Carey Price came in.

I'm just saying, I don't think that's the goal. We don't want to bank on that one person making it. We want a place where every deserving player - forward, defense, or goalie - will have a place to play at a level that challenges them. The CWHL is a start and hopefully it'll continue to grow.

Szabados - NAIT
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#29 CB007

CB007

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,661 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:44 PM

Posted Image

I always thought she was hot.
Posted Image

#30 Sanford

Sanford

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,422 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:00 PM

it will never happen unless she's a goalie... size and weight is too much difference if playing forward or defense..

as for nba, imagine how many guys will hug or grab the lady on purpose.. :bigblush:

If a women could make the NBA team against 6"5-7"5 players that women would be to beastly to hug.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.