The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Conditioning

JamesB

Many people have noted that the core players on the team did not play in the AHL or in Europe during the lockout (including the top 5 Ds, the Sedins, Burrows, Higgins, etc.) Therefore the team is behind right now in conditioning and in playing at full speed under competitive conditions.

Teams like Edmonton have, in contrast, hit the ground running (wrong metaphor -- I should say hit the ice skating at full speed).

However, this will have a payoff down the round. Normally by the end of the regular season burnout is a major problem (as are cumulative injuries). This year the Canucks should be fairly fresh going into the playoffs -- especially Kesler and Booth.

Keeping the top 4 D's and the Sedins healthy will of course be key, and that is always uncertain.

Bottom line: I do not mind have the team play itself into game form and I think AV is right in not pushing the team too hard in practice early on. We might drop a few games (and certainly the losses to both the Ducks and the Oilers were disappointing) but it should pay in the long run.

I don't think it's a good attitude to have to say it's ok to have weak conditioning because you will tire yourself out trying to get into good shape. Thing is, the whole point of conditioning is to get in good shape so that you will be able to handle bigger workloads. It's such a soft thing to do to "save your energy" for later. Get yourself in shape now and then you won't have to use as much energy later on. Players in good shape will also have less injuries.

Btw you said it's good that AV isn't pushing the players hard in practice, I don't know about that. I saw tweets the other day about AV bag skating the team.

Many people have noted that the core players on the team did not play in the AHL or in Europe during the lockout (including the top 5 Ds, the Sedins, Burrows, Higgins, etc.) Therefore the team is behind right now in conditioning and in playing at full speed under competitive conditions.

Teams like Edmonton have, in contrast, hit the ground running (wrong metaphor -- I should say hit the ice skating at full speed).

However, this will have a payoff down the round. Normally by the end of the regular season burnout is a major problem (as are cumulative injuries). This year the Canucks should be fairly fresh going into the playoffs -- especially Kesler and Booth.

Keeping the top 4 D's and the Sedins healthy will of course be key, and that is always uncertain.

Bottom line: I do not mind have the team play itself into game form and I think AV is right in not pushing the team too hard in practice early on. We might drop a few games (and certainly the losses to both the Ducks and the Oilers were disappointing) but it should pay in the long run.

Archived