The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I LOVE BALLARD!

Drew1

I'm thrilled that people are happy for this guy -- but he's still a 0 +/-, has no points and is averaging just 1.5 hits a game, even with the first 3 games being at home where they tend to buff stats like hits for you.

I'm not here to be the negative guy who says anyone's wrong -- I've stood up for Ballard in the past and said just a week ago or so that if he gets back to the player he was on track to being when he entered the league...then we'll all stop caring about what he's getting paid and he'll make our D-Core the best in the league all around. But it's a tad too early to say he's there, or even close to it. It's 4 games where he's made some brutal give aways, stood up for teammates and looked better as games have been played. But his first two games were miserable and to say he's been on 'our best d pairing' is a bit of a stretch.

The takeaway should be that he's improving on the season, and we all want that to continue. If it does - the whole team will be better because of it and there won't be too many people wanting him bought out.

Ballard may be overpaid in the scheme of things but as others point out he has excellent mobility.passing and checking abilities.

Where he stands out is in his defense of his team mates. Ballard gets it and is what every guy on any team wants-his back covered by a guy you can count on.

That is worth the extra million in this crazy money game.

Archived