The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] What pieces do we actually need out of a Luongo trade?

Top end forward talent (prospects or young players) and picks. If we get a roster player we can use right now to improve us and is more viable in our top 6 than what we already have, that works too. Maybe a big, strong, shutdown guy for the 3rd pairing on the left side that's better than our current options, possibly a backup that improves our position as well. All obviously not very expensive.

I am pleased with the promise shown thus far by Schroeder, Raymond and particularly Kassian. However, looking at the roster, I still think that secondary scoring is the team's most pressing need. Lack of scoring has been the team's downfall in each of the last two post-seasons.

Either a top-6 winger or top-9 centre would help the team a lot. I don't think Schroeder should be relied on to consistently produce throughout the season. This is of particular concern given Kesler's status. However, centres can be very hard to find. If the best forward available happens to be a scoring winger, that would help too. You can't have too many scorers when the playoffs role around, and match-ups become more important.

Looking more broadly at the organization, depth is a weakness, particularly when it comes to top-end prospects. We're not well-set up to have a stream of contributors playing on entry-level deals in the years to come. Look what's happened in Detroit: their pool of prospects has dried up. They don't have emerging stars to take over for their aging core. It looks like they're going to have to rebuild. Organizational depth is the lifeblood of a perennial contender. We need more of it, or we also may be looking at a rebuild within a few years.

Therefore, I believe Gillis should target both a roster player and futures assets in a Luongo deal. Luongo is a star. It's not unreasonable to ask for a couple good pieces in return for him.

my 3 year projection of the Canucks roster looks like this

Sedins + Kass ( Kass is the ugly twin nobody talks about)

Burr Kes Schredder (Schred will have 2 quality finishers to pass to)

Jensen Gaunce Hansen (Hansen should vet all of the rookies on playing the system to a T.(Jensen will be getting PP time as well)

_X_ Max Lap __X__

Ham Juice

Edler Tanev

Garrison Corrado

Really not a bad future if you ask me. What would make it even better is a couple early rnd draft picks in this years draft that would be able to be called up by then. And allow the canucks to slowly shed Booth Higgins Raymond as Jensen Schred Gaunce Mature.

And we could also use As always a right shot defence.

So in a Luo/ Schnider trade what I would hope to get is a top 15 first top 45 2nd and a stay at home bone crushing bottom pair right D.

my 3 year projection of the Canucks roster looks like this

Sedins + Kass ( Kass is the ugly twin nobody talks about)

Burr Kes Schredder (Schred will have 2 quality finishers to pass to)

Jensen Gaunce Hansen (Hansen should vet all of the rookies on playing the system to a T.(Jensen will be getting PP time as well)

_X_ Max Lap __X__

Ham Juice

Edler Tanev

Garrison Corrado

Really not a bad future if you ask me. What would make it even better is a couple early rnd draft picks in this years draft that would be able to be called up by then. And allow the canucks to slowly shed Booth Higgins Raymond as Jensen Schred Gaunce Mature.

And we could also use As always a right shot defence.

So in a Luo/ Schnider trade what I would hope to get is a top 15 first top 45 2nd and a stay at home bone crushing bottom pair right D.

Schroeder is gonna be our 3rd line center into the playoffs

We will lose

CDC will blame AV

Our main need will be obvious, a 3rd line center.

I can't think of a good option, does Bjustad play physical, do we have another 3 years to wait for him to develop?

Personally I think Burrows best option is to put him as 3rd line centre, he's just too good defensively to not assume that role, with that said I think any top 6 player with playoff experience, or any prospect at any position will do.

Luongo for some combination of Weiss and Upshall Bjustad

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Booth Kesler Weiss

Schroeder Burrows Upshall

Weise Lapierre Hansen

I don't trust Ballard though.

Schroeder is gonna be our 3rd line center into the playoffs

We will lose

CDC will blame AV

Our main need will be obvious, a 3rd line center.

I can't think of a good option, does Bjustad play physical, do we have another 3 years to wait for him to develop?

Personally I think Burrows best option is to put him as 3rd line centre, he's just too good defensively to not assume that role, with that said I think any top 6 player with playoff experience, or any prospect at any position will do.

Luongo for some combination of Weiss and Upshall Bjustad

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Booth Kesler Weiss

Schroeder Burrows Upshall

Weise Lapierre Hansen

I don't trust Ballard though.

Archived