The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Whole New Dimension

Drew1

Hey , have any of you guys noticed that Zack has sparked something special. I mean when was the last time we had 3 fights in a game and you seen Burr not even hesitate to step in , and apparently Ballard was begging perry all night to fight. Zack comes to the rink with and edge and he plays with it so perfect. Some of the older tough guys in the league try and intimidate him because he just turned 22 and is a kid but Zack doesnt care he always makes an impact. Complete game with Scoring , Assisting , Hitting , Fighting , Cycle game , everything . But have any of you noticed our guys arent taking crap in the post whistle scrums anymore?

I've said since we got Zack, he will be a Lucic 2.0 if not better. A guy that finishes, hits, stands up and fights is a player we need the past 2 years and never had for playoffs. This is why Kassian is a more important and better player to have than Cody.

I think you're giving a bit too much credit to Kass but the kid still deserves mad Kudos. He does play with an edge, he's scared of no one, fights well, scores big goals and plays a solid game. His energy really is infectious too. But last year, and even in our run to the cup finals, we had too few guys filling too many roles. When Ehrhoff left, Bieksa, Edler, Hammer and Salo all had to step up to contribute to scoring. Pinching more meant getting caught out more and our defense suffered for that. Meanwhile Bieksa was also the only guy who could win fights, so he had to do that too. Secondary scoring, PK, PP, shutdown, everything fell on the shoulders of a select few. Eventually guys couldn't keep up the pace and got injured/stopped producing. Thus our slump last season going into the playoffs.

Now, we've got guys with roles. Bieksa can fight and protect our guys again because he isn't as worried about shutdown and scoring. Hammer can play a pure shutdown game without worries. Kass can make room for the Sedins meaning they don't have to make all room they're going to get just by themselves. The small guys can do their jobs because we have the big guys doing their jobs. It's just a massive trickle down effect. That's what you saw tonight. We had 3 guys happily throwing down, scorers on 3 lines, pure shutdown players, pure play-makers, pure checkers.

Using Anaheim as a yardstick to measure Canuck progress is a bit of a joke. SJ will be more of a measure. That said I really liked the ice time the 3rd & 4th line got. Schroeder hasn't been a standout but he has been steady. Each game he looks more comfortable. He snapped a couple of wristers last night that looked great.

The biggest aspect of last night's game IMHO was Raymond's game. If he can return to form from 2 years ago then Van has a top 6 forward for the 2nd line. Either that or his value goes up big time in a multi-player deal.

Kassian is having a wet dream just now. He is doing every thing bang on the button. I love the way he is winding defences up and virtually daring them to make something of it.

This is how I want him playing.......smart. Not fighting at every chance but getting under the skin of the opposition.........meanwhile the Twins are left to create magic!

It must be great for the Sedins too, to have a guy who is big, ballsy but with the skill to fit in to their creativity.

I am a long time fan of Volpatti too. In fact I said a while back he struck me as a player who would raise his standard the more you gave him to do. He is more of a "player" than most give him credit for.

I don't think he's a fighter but when pushed he can handle himself, he reminds me of the quiet spoken friend who always surprised you when it came to a ruckus.

It's still early days though and I just hope the guys who are dishing out the praise now have the class to stay with these players on their down spells...............because there will be times when they have poor games but I bet (like Raymond) you never see a lack of effort.

Volpatti threw out some big hits in game one and has followed up by being fearless in his own right.

I have noticed that the mentality appears to be changing and the guys ARE pushing back. Loved that Bieksa reacted on behalf of Hammy. That Kassian is ready to go in crazy man fashion.

Our team was held back from reacting for awhile...shellshocked, as the penalties/consequences were very unevenly applied to our disadvantage. I don't think we can care (about that) anymore and the team realizes the message we need to be sent can't/won't be delivered through the refs. That they need to dole out their own penalties when liberties are taken with our players. Good ol' old time hockey.

Archived