Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Whole New Dimension

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
54 replies to this topic

#31 Forsy

Forsy

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:50 PM

When you have a big guy banging, fighting and intimidating, everyone else gets tougher, and the skill guys are a little more protected. I think this was very obvious, but we kept getting mired in the medium sized 5'11-6'1 enforcer type that had the courage to fight, but they were not really going to prevent shenanigans. Gillis was picking the medium sized 5'11-6'1 type of enforcer, skilled guy, etc - because he thought the refs had integrity and would protect teams that were being bullied. Recent history proved otherwise, so Gillis was forced to go bigger for his enforcer, and skill. To balance out a bigger lineup, you will need a few small skilled guys like Schroeder too.

Now what I want is another big tough guy enforcer to keep the pressure off of kassian, even while kassian continues to intimidate the other team with skill and size.

#32 Forsy

Forsy

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:51 PM

i like perry he hates losing more than anyone in the league and will fight .. i never seen that much intensity from any of the canucks when the ducks blew us out. thats how hockey used to be played your losing get mad and fight show you care not just pack it in . he plays like a canadian something we dont have very much of.

I agree, Perry is passionate about winning, and hates losing. Who wouldn't to get that into our lineup?
That said, we don't want him to be in our team and start whining. We already got burned by too much whining in the playoffs.

#33 Markus Alexander Cody

Markus Alexander Cody

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,640 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:52 PM

When you have a big guy banging, fighting and intimidating, everyone else gets tougher, and the skill guys are a little more protected. I think this was very obvious, but we kept getting mired in the medium sized 5'11-6'1 enforcer type that had the courage to fight, but they were not really going to prevent shenanigans. Gillis was picking the medium sized 5'11-6'1 type of enforcer, skilled guy, etc - because he thought the refs had integrity and would protect teams that were being bullied. Recent history proved otherwise, so Gillis was forced to go bigger for his enforcer, and skill. To balance out a bigger lineup, you will need a few small skilled guys like Schroeder too.

Now what I want is another big tough guy enforcer to keep the pressure off of kassian, even while kassian continues to intimidate the other team with skill and size.

If only Montreal would be willing to give up Travis Moen...

Posted Image

credit to allons-y

Certainly going to be our #1 defensemen. Give him a couple more years to improve his game and he'll be our new and improved version of Matthias Ohlund in no time

Posted Image

^Truth

#34 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:53 PM

This, Kassian is going to get too overwhelmed being the tough guy on the team he's too young for that right now, maybe Vandermeer will help if he gets into the lineup.

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#35 clutesi

clutesi

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,627 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:57 PM

Using Anaheim as a yardstick to measure Canuck progress is a bit of a joke. SJ will be more of a measure. That said I really liked the ice time the 3rd & 4th line got. Schroeder hasn't been a standout but he has been steady. Each game he looks more comfortable. He snapped a couple of wristers last night that looked great.

The biggest aspect of last night's game IMHO was Raymond's game. If he can return to form from 2 years ago then Van has a top 6 forward for the 2nd line. Either that or his value goes up big time in a multi-player deal.

Schoeder with Raymond looks great. Schoeder has wheels and can dish the puck, that's obvious. Looks like that time on the farm has taught him some defense. That second goal was all about speed, Schoeder took off and Raymond was able to keep up.

#36 surtur

surtur

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:05 PM

This, Kassian is going to get too overwhelmed being the tough guy on the team he's too young for that right now, maybe Vandermeer will help if he gets into the lineup.

I think that is the plan esp for the later part of the season and playoffs.
considering he can play on the 4th line or on the 3rd pairing he can fill in for injuries with ease and add some toughness.

Release The KraKassian
Kassianthe_Krakensm.jpg

#37 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:17 PM

I loved it last night.. we were pushing them around and there was nothing they could do about it. Say what you want about the way boston plays but tell me that didnt feel awesome being the bullies last night.. if mallet fills out his potential and makes the nhl as a 3rd liner we are gonna be one of the toughest teams in the league.

#38 Geoff Peterson

Geoff Peterson

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:20 PM

With only in 4 games in and after a ruff start, the Canucks are suddenly looking like a complete team.

Not having to rely on the "Twins" for getting the majority of goals so far is a bonus, seeing players on all four lines contributing, without needing cheap shots to get the job done is a blessing... staying out of the penalty box has to be rule one, let the other team pay the price of stupid is as stupid does.

To think all this is happening with 2 top six players (Kesler, Booth) out of the lineup, is a great sign of thing to come.

The next two road games will show us all, if this is the Canuck's reality or nothing more than fantasy... I sure hope it's our reality.

#39 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:22 PM

I just love that we don't cower to other teams now, it made me not want to watch the nucks when they used to do that every game.

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#40 Ray_Cathode

Ray_Cathode

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,892 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:54 PM

Yeah man thats what I am talking about. Volpatti everybody, our toughness has never been better ,

PS did anyone see perry miss the hit haahahah I laughed my a** off he was so mad

Beg to differ there, we once had the 93-94 cup finalists and featured: Antoski, Momesso, Dirk, Diduck, and don't forget Odjick.

The 96-7 team was also damn tough with Odjick, Brashear, Troy Crowder, and Scott Walker.

#41 Ray_Cathode

Ray_Cathode

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,892 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:56 PM

Schoeder with Raymond looks great. Schoeder has wheels and can dish the puck, that's obvious. Looks like that time on the farm has taught him some defense. That second goal was all about speed, Schoeder took off and Raymond was able to keep up.

I am pleasantly surprised by Schroeder, he is much better defensively and on the draws than I anticipated (63% last night) - he really did not have a great cast offensively to play with in Chicago. Of course, it is still early, but so far, so good.

#42 SamJamIam

SamJamIam

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,151 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:07 PM

I think Kassian is a better skater with better hands. That said, I think Lucic is the better fighter. Given his age, I'm starting to think I'd take Kassian, I'd say Gillis is starting to look like a freakin genius.

Lucic might be a better fighter, might, given how well Kass fared against Eager, a guy who is as cheap a fighter as they come but is also good when he isn't doing his Corey Perry impression. If you've seen Eager vs Bieksa, you know that Kass giving him a concussion with a couple hits is a BIG deal. Beyond that, don't forget that we've got Vandermeer tucked away for the playoffs. Guy showed Lucic a thing or two while wearing a grin, and he's 3 inches shorter.

7807358624_a82b7b44a0_b.jpg

#43 thehamburglar

thehamburglar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,282 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:23 PM

I like this, but it's only been four games, we need to wait to see. But did you notice even H. Sedin pushing guy over to get to the net for a lose puck? Awesome. Kassian has played great hope he keeps up his physical scoring play. And Raymond, god I'm happy to see him scoring again. But, Weise and Volpatti have impressed me with their play. Fourth liners playing like pretty good 3rd liners.

Edited by thehamburglar, 26 January 2013 - 05:25 PM.

Posted Image

#44 Tru_Knyte

Tru_Knyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,355 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:42 PM

I think the next three games (SJ, LA, Chicago) will really determine whether or not we've actually toughened up as a team with Kassian's swagger and influence. Sure, Anaheim was a good sign, but Anaheim isn't a team that is generally a team that takes cheap shots and plays with dirty tactics.

Really?
Posted Image

#45 Tragoedia

Tragoedia

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:07 PM

Really?

LA and SJ takes less cheap shots that Anaheim, and the new Chicago takes less than the one of a few years ago. (Although they still have some notorious offenders (Keith!)) But LA and SJ are not worse than Anaheim.

#46 casofilia.canuck.nz

casofilia.canuck.nz

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:05 PM

While hits and fights are part of the game make sure the real parts are the most important. Take fewer penalties than the opposition. Be better on the Penalty Kill than the opposition. Score more goals than the opposition. Then it will be another Presidents!! Then another chance for the Cup.

Go Canucks Go
Go CANUCKS Go.

#47 Nuckhead13

Nuckhead13

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:26 PM

I think you're giving a bit too much credit to Kass but the kid still deserves mad Kudos. He does play with an edge, he's scared of no one, fights well, scores big goals and plays a solid game. His energy really is infectious too. But last year, and even in our run to the cup finals, we had too few guys filling too many roles. When Ehrhoff left, Bieksa, Edler, Hammer and Salo all had to step up to contribute to scoring. Pinching more meant getting caught out more and our defense suffered for that. Meanwhile Bieksa was also the only guy who could win fights, so he had to do that too. Secondary scoring, PK, PP, shutdown, everything fell on the shoulders of a select few. Eventually guys couldn't keep up the pace and got injured/stopped producing. Thus our slump last season going into the playoffs.

Now, we've got guys with roles. Bieksa can fight and protect our guys again because he isn't as worried about shutdown and scoring. Hammer can play a pure shutdown game without worries. Kass can make room for the Sedins meaning they don't have to make all room they're going to get just by themselves. The small guys can do their jobs because we have the big guys doing their jobs. It's just a massive trickle down effect. That's what you saw tonight. We had 3 guys happily throwing down, scorers on 3 lines, pure shutdown players, pure play-makers, pure checkers.

sooo... you agree or??
Posted Image

#48 Nuckhead13

Nuckhead13

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:36 PM

Kassian is having a wet dream just now. He is doing every thing bang on the button. I love the way he is winding defences up and virtually daring them to make something of it.

This is how I want him playing.......smart. Not fighting at every chance but getting under the skin of the opposition.........meanwhile the Twins are left to create magic!

It must be great for the Sedins too, to have a guy who is big, ballsy but with the skill to fit in to their creativity.

I am a long time fan of Volpatti too. In fact I said a while back he struck me as a player who would raise his standard the more you gave him to do. He is more of a "player" than most give him credit for.

I don't think he's a fighter but when pushed he can handle himself, he reminds me of the quiet spoken friend who always surprised you when it came to a ruckus.

It's still early days though and I just hope the guys who are dishing out the praise now have the class to stay with these players on their down spells...............because there will be times when they have poor games but I bet (like Raymond) you never see a lack of effort.

your so wise. no read you comment as is Morgan Freeman is narrating. that how i here it.lol
Posted Image

#49 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,165 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:16 AM

LA and SJ takes less cheap shots that Anaheim, and the new Chicago takes less than the one of a few years ago. (Although they still have some notorious offenders (Keith!)) But LA and SJ are not worse than Anaheim.

SJ will want to beat Van with their skill not muscle. Their one of the top NHL teams right now so today's game will be a real measuring stick. Anaheim wasn't.

Kassian's early success has overshadowed Burrows role on the team. He is such a smart player and even though the season is young yet his impact could be hugh. Even without playing with the Twins I expect + 20 goals from him. On the physical side Kassian's size allows lighter players like Burrows, Bieksa, Volpatti and Ballard to pick their spots more selectively. It does the Canucks absolutely no good to have a 200 pound Bieksa trying to fight a 230 pounder.

#50 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:26 AM

I totally agree.

He needs, as I said to just concentrate on getting under skins for the most part. That in itself will draw penalties and make space for the Sedins. Everyone meets their match and by taking on every bum that offers Kassian will meet his too soon.

He is a top 6 player now and has to concentrate on his game.

We are not like the "old Philly" where it just needed one tough guy to bring out the inner beast in the rest. The Sedins, Hammer, Raymond, Schroeder, Tanev and Edler whilst all are tough, will never be combatants. So let's not get carried away.
Kevin.jpg

#51 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:27 AM

If only Montreal would be willing to give up Travis Moen...

I would rather have Clowe.
Kevin.jpg

#52 DaMacNamedDre

DaMacNamedDre

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:22 PM

Clowe was a beauty tonight
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Posted ImageBodee, on 18 April 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

I haven't been a supporter of the Canucks for long. Mainly because firstly I know nothing about NHL and secondly ESPN America only started showing NHL 3 years ago.

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/328055-whats-wrong-with-me
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#53 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,841 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:44 PM

Story of my life
Sig too big.
"Being a Canuck fan, maybe sometime down the road be a Vancouver Canuck.... that would conquer all my dreams"
-Milan Lucic

#54 MrsCanuck

MrsCanuck

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,635 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:46 PM

Love the Canucks are willing to drop the gloves more often again!
Posted Image

#55 Forsy

Forsy

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:37 AM

I totally agree.

He needs, as I said to just concentrate on getting under skins for the most part. That in itself will draw penalties and make space for the Sedins. Everyone meets their match and by taking on every bum that offers Kassian will meet his too soon.

He is a top 6 player now and has to concentrate on his game.

We are not like the "old Philly" where it just needed one tough guy to bring out the inner beast in the rest. The Sedins, Hammer, Raymond, Schroeder, Tanev and Edler whilst all are tough, will never be combatants. So let's not get carried away.

Kassian should continue to try and score, but he will need to play tough. He cannot start backing off to prevent injuries. I think it's simply critical to have another tough guy, so that the unnecessary heat on kassian will be taken off. But Kassian still must focus on smashing anyone that tries to push the sedins around!

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.