The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

YOU are Mike Gillis. What decision(s) would you make for the Canucks?

Specter's Vengeance

Definitely go with option 3. Wait until the deadline to see which teams need goal-tending help, see what offers are made for him and pick the best offer from the team's standpoint but don't trade him unless it's a worthwhile deal (i.e. no cap dumps for Lu). If other teams want to make the playoffs, make them pay to get Lu. We don't need to move him this season anyways, plus there are no visible holes in the roster to fill through this trade. Also should make other teams mortgage their future in prospects and high picks to get him. This is an auction, not a fire sale!

I think Lu should be traded at the deadline. So far there are a handful of "good" teams that are really underperforming like NYR, MIN, LAK, etc. Not saying many of those teams would want Lu, but I can see a lot of GMs panicking around the deadline when their team isn't performing as they projected it to and overpaying for Lu.

bryz-luongo-e1357851111327.jpg

# 1 or 2

To Philadelphia:

Luongo

To Vancouver:

Bryzgalov

Couturier

Bryzgalov most likely won't perform to our standard, so we'll trade him to Toronto.

To Toronto:

Bryzgalov

To Vancouver:

2nd round pick 2013

2nd round pick 2014

or #3

I'm certainly okay with not trading Luongo until the trade deadline. We could probably fetch more then.

If I were MG I would have traded him a long long long time ago. As it stands today, I would be looking to unload him for a roster player that can help us win now, as well as a backup goalie. The list of possibilities are endless.

We could package him up with one of our defensemen (somebody like Bieksa, Garrison, Ballard, or Edler) and go after some seriously high-end talent to anchor the back end for the next decade. With $9+ mil in cap hit heading out the door, we could afford anybody's contract and from another GM's perspective, you can't deny there would be a heck of a lot of value in our offer.

We could package him up with Kesler or Booth and get the type of superstar who can transform the second line into a unit that rivals the Sedins. Again, the cap hit wouldn't be a problem and other teams would be very interested in that package.

We could go the more modest route and send him off alone in exchange for a mediocre backup and a decent roster player.

The only stupid thing to do is hold onto him. Luongo isn't getting any younger and if he rides the pine this season, that's one less season that his new team can expect to get out of him. Also, by the end of the season, several suitors are going to be out of playoff contention and probably their interest in Luongo will be drastically reduced at that point (this could happen with any team that isn't a sure-bet to make the playoffs this year. Trade him. Do it now.

i really don't see 9M$ a year cap hit that bad if it means you have 2 all star goalies, lets face it,both have shown at times a lack of oxygen so why not keep em both, if most teams are spending 6-8 Million why not guarantee you have TOP 3 goaltending in the league ?

its the most important position.

if not then

Luongo+Booth+Raymond+Malhotra (+GreenMen+DJ Dave+Booths Bible)

For

a 24yr-28 year old second line center stud (5-6Million),

a serious world class power forward goon that can play (3-4M) and a First rounder would work for me.

Alright, here's something I've got to say: Can the guys trying to moderate the forums just email resumes in to admin@Canucks.com? You're not moderators and you're not saying anything useful. Furthermore, I hope you would have better things to do than fake moderate CDC.

Anyways, with matters pertaining to Roberto Luongo, I expect Gillis to hold out on until he gets exactly what he wants. I think its going to be a lot more than expected.

I would bundle Lu with Booth and offer to trade to Washington in exchange for Ovechkin. Lu and Booth's combined salaries frees up the cap space and Ovie's $9.5m cap hit for the next 9 years is manageable. He'll be 36 years old when it expires. Compare that to Lu's $5.33m cap hit for the next 10 years, and he'll be 43 when it expires.

Ovechkin could be the offensive powerhouse our team needs to catapult us into the winners circle. Just imagine this line up;

Sedin Sedin Ovechkin

Kassian Kesler Burrows

Raymond Schroeder Hansen

Schnieder

We'd have the best top 3 lines in the entire League!

Of course we'd need to get a back up goaltender so a trade of Malholtra for a goalie of lesser or equal value would be in order.

On the Washington side of things, they've been eliminated early in the play-offs year after year. Alex is still a young player and is anxious to win a cup. Joining a stacked team like the Canucks who have proven to be a force to be reckoned with should definitely entice him.

Ovechkin had some complaints about less ice time last year and made threats to stay in Russia during the lock out if his contract was affected. This leads me to believe he might be ready for a change of city and to join a new team.

The Capitals are off to a poor start so far. Yes, it is still early but it appears their goaltending is a big problem. After Holtby performed well in the playoffs last year Washington was hoping he would be their number one. So far this season though he isn't playing like a number one. Aquiring a guy like Lu could be just the peice they need to start winning some hockey games and improve their playoff record.

Archived