The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

YOU are Mike Gillis. What decision(s) would you make for the Canucks?

Specter's Vengeance

With this shortened season and injuries bound to be in abundance, if you were GMMG what changes do you make for this Vancouver team? Here are your options:

1. Trade Roberto Luongo for draft picks/prospects. The future of this Canucks franchise is, arguably, not looking too bright. We do have good athletes but no (as of yet) top tier talent. Do you trade Luongo and get prospects for the future of the franchise?

2. Trade Luongo for a forward/defense/goaltender combination. Many have said it. The time for the Canucks is now. Do you trade Luongo for some depth talent in hopes that they can help bring the Canucks a successful playoff run for their first cup?

3. Keep Luongo until trade deadline. There is nothing wrong with 2 very good goaltenders staying here. If one under performs, the other can easily pick up the slack. Do you wait to see what treasures could surface at the deadline?

4. Keep Luongo this season and hope for return during the off season. Depending on other teams and their scenarios, we could potentially have better offers on the table come the end of the season. Do you wait and potentially lose a better deal? Or do you make people climb over each other offering everything but a sacrificial goat for Luongo?

5. Keep Luongo and do the unthinkable. Trade Schneider for some better talent. Luongo is still a very good goaltender and I can see him being like Marty Brodeur and playing stellar into his 40's. Then its all up to Eddy Lack to take the helm of this franchise.

6. Make your own suggestion. How do YOU determine the fate of this franchise?

I know there are plenty of these kind of posts but I wanted to see peoples suggestions first hand to determine how our fans see our team and our concerns moving forward. Please post away!

bryz-luongo-e1357851111327.jpg

# 1 or 2

To Philadelphia:

Luongo

To Vancouver:

Bryzgalov

Couturier

Bryzgalov most likely won't perform to our standard, so we'll trade him to Toronto.

To Toronto:

Bryzgalov

To Vancouver:

2nd round pick 2013

2nd round pick 2014

or #3

I'm certainly okay with not trading Luongo until the trade deadline. We could probably fetch more then.

Keep him until the deadline at least. Playing the tandem has never failed us, and we could always use a failsafe.

Also, doing so will allow us to assess Booth and Kesler. If they are producing, we can ride their momentum into the Playoffs. If not, we can deal either goalie at the deadline for a big, powerforward who can play on any line (eg. Parise). If the forwards are producing well, we can acquire a bunch of picks/prospects and maybe a big 4th line grinder who can deal with any kind of threat.

Trading Luongo now is a dumb move. You couldn't make a dumber move. Holding onto him until the deadline will show the league that we still consider him a big asset and will only move him for quality return, and we can perhaps allow the controversy to die down a bit.

At this point I would hold onto both tenders. Obviously (assuming CS does well all year) I'd listen to offers up to the trade deadline. Nothing wrong with having the security of two top goalies and buys time for Lack to get back to form. However, a goaltender is a difficult piece to move at the deadline, so I would not expect to make a deal unless something fell in my lap.

Toronto has a couple young D I like, but I wouldn't want Bozak or Kadri and they won't give up JVR so I don't like them as a trade partner. I can't see a workable deal with Florida unless the Nucks throw in a prospect or two as well. They'd only be looking at Luongo for a couple seasons and wouldn't deal prospects/picks without getting some in return.

Come draft day I'd move Lu for two decent picks (1st and 3rd, say) along with a decent bottom six center and perhaps another energy/physical type player with potential. Even a 1st might prove difficult to aquire but I'd be happy with multiple 2nds and/or 3rds or swapping our low 1st for a higher 1st + 3rd and another pick the following year.

I think a lot of the non-playoff teams will look at this shortened season as more of a test and make bigger moves in the summer. There will only be a few bubble teams willing to part with anything of value with such a short amount of time for the incoming player to have an impact. I highly doubt we'll see anything resembling a fire sale this deadline, nor will many teams base a rebuild (of any sort) on a 48 game schedule.

I do not believe Luongo will bring back that top six established forward (Kesler replacement) that the Nucks are lacking short term, so I would look longer term at prospects/futures and try to flesh out the support forwards for next season; depending on who will be available at free agency of course. I'd look at picks before prospects as I'd rather develop players in our system. I'd look at forwards before defense as we're pretty solid on the back end and have prospect depth for the bottom pair (the only pair we'd really look at improving in the next few seasons).

I feel that will be the only way to get back decent value.

Archived