Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

YOU are Mike Gillis. What decision(s) would you make for the Canucks?

Discussion

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#31 King Heffy

King Heffy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:33 PM

Wait til the deadline. We may have someone sustain a season ending injury who we need to replace.

zWXdYPq.png'

Put Gino in the ROH

#32 kmotamed

kmotamed

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:56 PM

#33 canucksnhl

canucksnhl

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:02 PM

Posted Image

# 1 or 2

To Philadelphia:
Luongo

To Vancouver:
Bryzgalov
Couturier

Bryzgalov most likely won't perform to our standard, so we'll trade him to Toronto.

To Toronto:
Bryzgalov

To Vancouver:
2nd round pick 2013
2nd round pick 2014

or #3

I'm certainly okay with not trading Luongo until the trade deadline. We could probably fetch more then.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#34 Underachieving Hero of CDC

Underachieving Hero of CDC

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:28 PM

If I were MG I would have traded him a long long long time ago. As it stands today, I would be looking to unload him for a roster player that can help us win now, as well as a backup goalie. The list of possibilities are endless.

We could package him up with one of our defensemen (somebody like Bieksa, Garrison, Ballard, or Edler) and go after some seriously high-end talent to anchor the back end for the next decade. With $9+ mil in cap hit heading out the door, we could afford anybody's contract and from another GM's perspective, you can't deny there would be a heck of a lot of value in our offer.

We could package him up with Kesler or Booth and get the type of superstar who can transform the second line into a unit that rivals the Sedins. Again, the cap hit wouldn't be a problem and other teams would be very interested in that package.

We could go the more modest route and send him off alone in exchange for a mediocre backup and a decent roster player.

The only stupid thing to do is hold onto him. Luongo isn't getting any younger and if he rides the pine this season, that's one less season that his new team can expect to get out of him. Also, by the end of the season, several suitors are going to be out of playoff contention and probably their interest in Luongo will be drastically reduced at that point (this could happen with any team that isn't a sure-bet to make the playoffs this year. Trade him. Do it now.

#35 DaMacNamedDre

DaMacNamedDre

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:01 PM

i really don't see 9M$ a year cap hit that bad if it means you have 2 all star goalies, lets face it,both have shown at times a lack of oxygen so why not keep em both, if most teams are spending 6-8 Million why not guarantee you have TOP 3 goaltending in the league ?
its the most important position.

if not then
Luongo+Booth+Raymond+Malhotra (+GreenMen+DJ Dave+Booths Bible)
For
a 24yr-28 year old second line center stud (5-6Million),
a serious world class power forward goon that can play (3-4M) and a First rounder would work for me.

Edited by D.J Ball, 26 January 2013 - 07:02 PM.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Posted ImageBodee, on 18 April 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

I haven't been a supporter of the Canucks for long. Mainly because firstly I know nothing about NHL and secondly ESPN America only started showing NHL 3 years ago.

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/328055-whats-wrong-with-me
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#36 morrissex95

morrissex95

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:03 PM

Alright, here's something I've got to say: Can the guys trying to moderate the forums just email resumes in to admin@Canucks.com? You're not moderators and you're not saying anything useful. Furthermore, I hope you would have better things to do than fake moderate CDC.

Anyways, with matters pertaining to Roberto Luongo, I expect Gillis to hold out on until he gets exactly what he wants. I think its going to be a lot more than expected.

Edited by GoCanucksGo95, 26 January 2013 - 07:05 PM.

Posted Image

#37 ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,075 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:12 PM

The roster is very solid, we have no glaring needs. The season is shorter than usual, it's an odd situation, an outlier. I would keep the roster the same for this season. Come the offseason, I would try not to take the craziness of the past two (by then two-and-a-half) years into account.

Ceterum censeo Chicaginem delendam esse

#38 speedyglass

speedyglass

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:50 PM

can't I be aquilini instead, so i can ride this group for a couple years, then axe gillis and hire dale tallon? then he can trade away major pieces of the core while rebuilding with high picks and savvy trades for good players under 25.

Tallon is a good gm but goofed when he waived grabner

#39 CptCanuck16

CptCanuck16

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:08 PM

I would bundle Lu with Booth and offer to trade to Washington in exchange for Ovechkin. Lu and Booth's combined salaries frees up the cap space and Ovie's $9.5m cap hit for the next 9 years is manageable. He'll be 36 years old when it expires. Compare that to Lu's $5.33m cap hit for the next 10 years, and he'll be 43 when it expires.

Ovechkin could be the offensive powerhouse our team needs to catapult us into the winners circle. Just imagine this line up;

Sedin Sedin Ovechkin
Kassian Kesler Burrows
Raymond Schroeder Hansen

Schnieder

We'd have the best top 3 lines in the entire League!
Of course we'd need to get a back up goaltender so a trade of Malholtra for a goalie of lesser or equal value would be in order.

On the Washington side of things, they've been eliminated early in the play-offs year after year. Alex is still a young player and is anxious to win a cup. Joining a stacked team like the Canucks who have proven to be a force to be reckoned with should definitely entice him.

Ovechkin had some complaints about less ice time last year and made threats to stay in Russia during the lock out if his contract was affected. This leads me to believe he might be ready for a change of city and to join a new team.

The Capitals are off to a poor start so far. Yes, it is still early but it appears their goaltending is a big problem. After Holtby performed well in the playoffs last year Washington was hoping he would be their number one. So far this season though he isn't playing like a number one. Aquiring a guy like Lu could be just the peice they need to start winning some hockey games and improve their playoff record.

#40 Jester13

Jester13

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:34 PM

Although Im not entirely new to the CDC, if your comment is sarcastic in nature then sorry for your wasted time.

Don't be sorry, just buy us something.

"Education is the inoculator for ignorance."

#41 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,694 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:12 PM

With this shortened season and injuries bound to be in abundance, if you were GMMG what changes do you make for this Vancouver team? Here are your options:

• Trade Roberto Luongo for draft picks/prospects. The future of this Canucks franchise is, arguably, not looking too bright. We do have good athletes but no (as of yet) top tier talent. Do you trade Luongo and get prospects for the future of the franchise?
  • Trade Luongo for a forward/defense/goaltender combination. Many have said it. The time for the Canucks is now. Do you trade Luongo for some depth talent in hopes that they can help bring the Canucks a successful playoff run for their first cup?
  • Keep Luongo until trade deadline. There is nothing wrong with 2 very good goaltenders staying here. If one under performs, the other can easily pick up the slack. Do you wait to see what treasures could surface at the deadline?
  • Keep Luongo this season and hope for return during the off season. Depending on other teams and their scenarios, we could potentially have better offers on the table come the end of the season. Do you wait and potentially lose a better deal? Or do you make people climb over each other offering everything but a sacrificial goat for Luongo?
  • Keep Luongo and do the unthinkable. Trade Schneider for some better talent. Luongo is still a very good goaltender and I can see him being like Marty Brodeur and playing stellar into his 40's. Then its all up to Eddy Lack to take the helm of this franchise.
  • Make your own suggestion. How do YOU determine the fate of this franchise?
I know there are plenty of these kind of posts but I wanted to see peoples suggestions first hand to determine how our fans see our team and our concerns moving forward. Please post away!

There's really only three questions here.

1.) When would you trade Luongo?

Answer: I'd trade him when the best deal came along, or it becomes absolutely necessary to do so. In either case, it would be to a team to which Luongo agreed to be moved.

If that deal was tonight then he's gone. If the deal came along at the 2013 draft, then that would be when he'd be gone. As we do not know what kind of offers are actually out there (other than rumors and "reports") we will have to assume that Gillis will wait until a very good offer comes along or team needs (however we want to define "team needs") require him to move Luongo regardless of the quality of the offers.

2.) What would you want in trade for Luongo?

Answer: The best deal available at the time, and the one which benefits the team the most, at that time.

Yes, it is an obvious answer and it is also not necessarily obvious. The best deal could be something which benefits the team right now but might not be of any great benefit in the next year or two. Trades which include potential rental players, may help the team this season but what happens when their contracts run out in July? If the team needs were such that getting a rental made sense (eg. Kesler was still out, or the defense was in need of shoring up) and if the guy was good enough, then it might make the risk worth while.

On the other hand, when Kesler and Booth come back and play amazingly well, and the rest of the team play as well as they currently are (or improve), the getting a rental might not make a lot of sense and prospects and picks would be a better choice.

I believe this is why Gillis said he wanted an impact player, a top prospect and a 1st for Luongo. He was setting the height of the bar for the equivalent value of the return he wants for Luongo. If another GM showed up with a great deal which included a player, and a really good prospect, then Gillis might indeed forget all about the 1st round pick.

3.) Would you trade Schneider and keep Luongo?

I would not, but I can afford to make that kind of choice.

I beleive Gillis is open to discussion on this point, but I also believe that it would have to be such a massive overpayment that he would not properly be doing his job. As an example of the kind of overpayment trade that might sway Gillis:

To Florida: Schneider

To Vancouver: Versteeg, Ellerby, Huberdeau, Petrovic, 2013 1st

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#42 Specter's Vengeance

Specter's Vengeance

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:18 PM

Don't be sorry, just buy us something.

Haha hmm. Suggestions? How about buy out Keith Ballard's and Bobby Luo's contracts myself? :/ wouldnt that be something... lol
Posted Image

You know what I like? When puppies bite Jay Onrait's face! You know what I like better? Great Plays!!!

#43 Specter's Vengeance

Specter's Vengeance

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:20 PM

Posted Image

# 1 or 2

To Philadelphia:
Luongo

To Vancouver:
Bryzgalov
Couturier

Bryzgalov most likely won't perform to our standard, so we'll trade him to Toronto.

To Toronto:
Bryzgalov

To Vancouver:
2nd round pick 2013
2nd round pick 2014

or #3

I'm certainly okay with not trading Luongo until the trade deadline. We could probably fetch more then.

I really like this idea. I've always thought that a 3 way trade would be the best scenario here. If only GMMG read these gong show forums eh? lol

Edited by MyPavelsBured, 26 January 2013 - 11:20 PM.

Posted Image

You know what I like? When puppies bite Jay Onrait's face! You know what I like better? Great Plays!!!

#44 Ugli Fruit

Ugli Fruit

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:43 PM

Keep him until the deadline at least. Playing the tandem has never failed us, and we could always use a failsafe.

Also, doing so will allow us to assess Booth and Kesler. If they are producing, we can ride their momentum into the Playoffs. If not, we can deal either goalie at the deadline for a big, powerforward who can play on any line (eg. Parise). If the forwards are producing well, we can acquire a bunch of picks/prospects and maybe a big 4th line grinder who can deal with any kind of threat.

Trading Luongo now is a dumb move. You couldn't make a dumber move. Holding onto him until the deadline will show the league that we still consider him a big asset and will only move him for quality return, and we can perhaps allow the controversy to die down a bit.

Formerly known as LordofBrussels

There we have it folks, we have literally blamed everyone for everything at this point

Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#45 babych

babych

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,121 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:39 AM

I would bundle Lu with Booth and offer to trade to Washington in exchange for Ovechkin.

I highly doubt McPhee would accept that offer.
(shiznak@Jun 17 2008, 08:00 PM)
Kesler was lucky to score 20 this year since the injury to Morrison allowed him to do so.

I doubt Kesler would ever break 15 goals in his career again.

#46 Maninthebox

Maninthebox

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:36 AM

At this point I would hold onto both tenders. Obviously (assuming CS does well all year) I'd listen to offers up to the trade deadline. Nothing wrong with having the security of two top goalies and buys time for Lack to get back to form. However, a goaltender is a difficult piece to move at the deadline, so I would not expect to make a deal unless something fell in my lap.

Toronto has a couple young D I like, but I wouldn't want Bozak or Kadri and they won't give up JVR so I don't like them as a trade partner. I can't see a workable deal with Florida unless the Nucks throw in a prospect or two as well. They'd only be looking at Luongo for a couple seasons and wouldn't deal prospects/picks without getting some in return.

Come draft day I'd move Lu for two decent picks (1st and 3rd, say) along with a decent bottom six center and perhaps another energy/physical type player with potential. Even a 1st might prove difficult to aquire but I'd be happy with multiple 2nds and/or 3rds or swapping our low 1st for a higher 1st + 3rd and another pick the following year.

I think a lot of the non-playoff teams will look at this shortened season as more of a test and make bigger moves in the summer. There will only be a few bubble teams willing to part with anything of value with such a short amount of time for the incoming player to have an impact. I highly doubt we'll see anything resembling a fire sale this deadline, nor will many teams base a rebuild (of any sort) on a 48 game schedule.

I do not believe Luongo will bring back that top six established forward (Kesler replacement) that the Nucks are lacking short term, so I would look longer term at prospects/futures and try to flesh out the support forwards for next season; depending on who will be available at free agency of course. I'd look at picks before prospects as I'd rather develop players in our system. I'd look at forwards before defense as we're pretty solid on the back end and have prospect depth for the bottom pair (the only pair we'd really look at improving in the next few seasons).

I feel that will be the only way to get back decent value.

#47 BlueShield

BlueShield

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:38 AM

Nonis already said flatout that he's not trading any of his young guys, including them

Well that sucks. I don't know that Dave Nonis said that.

#48 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:39 AM

Based on the way he's playing? Keep Luongo, at least for this season

#49 Specter's Vengeance

Specter's Vengeance

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:16 PM

lol I think this figured itself out due to Ed Lack now being sidelined with hip surgery for the next 8 months...
Posted Image

#50 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,805 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:58 AM

Fire Delorme, hire scouts from Philly, New Jersey and Detroit. Scout like crazy the WHL/OHL/QMJHL/BCHL and look for late round gems.

Get more scouts in Europe to find off the chart prospects as well.

There's no salary cap on scouting. We need every advantage we can get.
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#51 supermanbieksa

supermanbieksa

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:34 AM

Luongo - Filip Forsberg?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.