The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Trade and The Roster

After reading several of the recent posts, watching the steady improvement of our players, and taking a look at cap geek, The question occurred to me that, MG's demand for a roster player, a prospect, and a draft choice, really causes a problem that requires more than just a simple Luongo trade.

If we take a look at the 2013-2014 season, which really isn't that far away, you will see that even with the current roster and no trades, the Canucks will be icing a stronger, multi attack team. With the emergence of young Jordan Schroeder, and the more than likely addition of Nicklas Jensen. And with the soon returning Ryan Kesler and David Booth, well it is a nice problem, but a problem never the less.

The thorn in all this is getting down to the cap and trying to improve with the Luongo trade. Now the top end prospect and draft picks are no problem, but the roster player, causes a log jam on the 2nd and 3rd lines, where because of cap, someone will have to go.

The current lines with everyone healthy will look somewhat like this I suspect.

Daniel Sedin Henrik Sedin Zack Kassian

David Booth Ryan Kesler Alex Burrows

Mason Raymond Jordon Schroeder Jannik Hansen

Higgins/Volpattit Maholtra/Lapierre/Ebbet Dale Weise

Now add another roster player and Ebbet and/or Schroeder are gone back to the minors, but again Cap becomes an issue when we aquire that roster player.

Take into consideration that Jensen will be here next year and it starts getting messy. Now I know that Mike Gillis will make it work, but suddenly his 3rd line Centre problem is filled and seems to be working well.

So my point to all this is that, it would probably be a good idea to make any Luongo trade a multi player trade, where we up grade a position at the same time, instead of just acquiring another Roster player, prospect and draft picks.

My thought would be to trade Luongo and Booth for a 2nd line upgrade who is more aggressive and can play Centre/wing as well, and a prospect, and picks. If we have to add, let it be a 2nd Tier prospect or a 2014 3rd or 4th rounder.

With the UFA's we have to sign at the end of this year, it will be tricky to get it all done. It should be a very interesting short 6 1/2 months. Go Canucks!

PS.........Jensen is a 2nd or 1st line player, at worst he starts on the 3rd line and moves up, and could be here just before the playoffs, as his SEL team has absolutely no chance of the playoffs!

A multi-player deal is possible, but it all really depends on which team we're trading with and their needs. Honestly, however, I don't see that happening.

At most, it'll be Luongo and a pick/prospect and not any of our roster players.

After reading several of the recent posts, watching the steady improvement of our players, and taking a look at cap geek, The question occurred to me that, MG's demand for a roster player, a prospect, and a draft choice, really causes a problem that requires more than just a simple Luongo trade.

If we take a look at the 2013-2014 season, which really isn't that far away, you will see that even with the current roster and no trades, the Canucks will be icing a stronger, multi attack team. With the emergence of young Jordan Schroeder, and the more than likely addition of Nicklas Jensen. And with the soon returning Ryan Kesler and David Booth, well it is a nice problem, but a problem never the less.

The thorn in all this is getting down to the cap and trying to improve with the Luongo trade. Now the top end prospect and draft picks are no problem, but the roster player, causes a log jam on the 2nd and 3rd lines, where because of cap, someone will have to go.

Now add another roster player and Ebbet and/or Schroeder are gone back to the minors, but again Cap becomes an issue when we aquire that roster player.

Take into consideration that Jensen will be here next year and it starts getting messy. Now I know that Mike Gillis will make it work, but suddenly his 3rd line Centre problem is filled and seems to be working well.

So my point to all this is that, it would probably be a good idea to make any Luongo trade a multi player trade, where we up grade a position at the same time, instead of just acquiring another Roster player, prospect and draft picks.

My thought would be to trade Luongo and Booth for a 2nd line upgrade who is more aggressive and can play Centre/wing as well, and a prospect, and picks. If we have to add, let it be a 2nd Tier prospect or a 2014 3rd or 4th rounder.

With the UFA's we have to sign at the end of this year, it will be tricky to get it all done. It should be a very interesting short 6 1/2 months. Go Canucks!

PS.........Jensen is a 2nd or 1st line player, at worst he starts on the 3rd line and moves up, and could be here just before the playoffs, as his SEL team has absolutely no chance of the playoffs!

Well Bossram, I completely agree with you, except on one point, that being Jensen, but I could be way off on that. My thoughts on Jensen is that the Canucks really sucked at scoring in last years playoff, and this kid is gold. Most natural snipper I have seen in a long time, and he seems to do it with not much help, which means he creates some of his own chances. Geez, I hope I am right, but we will see on that one!

As for Booth/Luongo, if you can package them and get one up grade and a grade A prospect, or a very high pick, or some combination of, then I think Gillis should do it. Someone younger that is in only his second contract? I would rather go for quality, not quantity. But you're right, and we don't know who's offering what, but in my dream that is what I would want.

As for Schoeder, I know time will tell, 2 games is only a glimps, and doesn't give us as much of a picture as we need. But,I sure hope he can keep up his play and face off percentages, it would make Gillis's job easier in the summer with Maholtra.

Gillis will have to move cap we know, all the UFA will want a raise I am sure. I would love to keep Raymond, Higgins, Lapierrre, and Volpatti next year, but I am not keen on Ebbet and Manny is past his prime, except in the faceoff circle. The next month is going to tell us so much about this team, the trade???, and its character.......we'll see........good post Bossram......my thinking wasn't that far off yours......Cheers!

Hard to say.

It really depends on what is available out there.

We (media included) have no idea of what is being discussed.

It depends on how much we believe we can re-up our pending free agents for.

For Luongo, I'd reckon it'll be a useful roster player+ futures (main part).

Depending on interest, consider adding Raymond/Booth and/or Schroeder/Gaunce/Sauve etc...

to make a package for a young, emerging forward.

Ship off Ballard in the off-season for pick(s).

Re-sign one of Higgins or Raymond.

Re-sign Lapierre for cheap, or let him walk.

Extend Tanev.

Archived