The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] vancouver - detroit

thad

to van - todd bertuzzi

to det - keith ballard

do you think they would do it with their decimated blue line?

I love ballard but we have to get rid of him next year to get under the cap, why not trade him for some secondary scoring and increase our grit and toughness in the top six even more. Bert puts up several multi goal games a year so theres one more guy that can come up big if the sedins get shut down in the playoffs.

thoughts?

ballard for tatar or detroits 1st?

Ballard is an imporvement over, Ian White, Colaiacovo, Huskins, lashoff maybe quincey. THey have some younger blueliners like kidl and smith, but I think Ballard could easily fit in their top 4 paired with Ericsson or Kronwall

detroit drafts well and they seem to have some young forwards on the time and a few in the minors that dont have much of a chance to crack the line up like tatar.

thoughts?

i think the past is the past. bert is producing just fine now a days and i think he would be a huge addition to our secondary scoring. He's not just a chris higgins type guy that will chip in here and there. He's a more dominant player that has the ability to come up with several multi goal games a season and take charge of games when our top guys get shut down.

i think he would be a great veteran add for a cup run and we can manage playing alberts, barker or vandermeer. taking out ballard and ebbett and inserting bertuzzi and vandermeer makes us one of the toughest teams in the league to play against. that seems to be winning cups these days

Bertuzzi could mentor and shape Kassian. However, this leaves a void in our defense that would need to filled via a free agent (who's available?) or a separate trade. Maybe if a signing or trade happened that left Ballard extendable could this trade happen, but it still doesn't seem likely.

Bertuzzi could mentor and shape Kassian. However, this leaves a void in our defense that would need to filled via a free agent (who's available?) or a separate trade. Maybe if a signing or trade happened that left Ballard extendable could this trade happen, but it still doesn't seem likely.

I don't see it as big of a void as you. Our defense has been fine the last couple years playing Ballard as a depth guy. I like the idea of having vandermeer and Alberts being a big physical presence on the 3rd pairing.

Furthermore, we are going to have to buy out Ballard next year. This move saves ownership 3mill or so and addresses our biggest concern every year in the playoffs, secondary scoring.

I think it's a good hockey trade for both teams and we have more than enough depth to cover KB, especially when you consider the youngsters waiting in the wings.

Thing that makes it hard for me is how well Ballard is playing right now. I'm willing to sacrifice an area of strength to boost an area of need

I get what your saying about it being hard to trade ballard now since hes been one.of.our.most poised defenceman so far this season, but would you rather trade him now while he has a little value or lose him for nothing in the summer

I think Betuzzi would benefit us by having veteran leadership on the team as well as coaching Kassian, although this seems great. We would be dropping off Ballard who has been great with Tanev and is by far our best defensive pairing right now. I can see Ballard and Tanev putting up at least 15 points each this season if they continue to play this way.

A reason why it would be bad to have bertuzzi is because we got rid of him because of his Moore fiasco, if he came back it would cause people to hate the Canucks more and have people hating on him for what he did to the poor guy. Secondly I'm scared how our defense will do without Ballard, yes he's our bottom six pairing but our depth behind him is Vandermeer and Barker and I don't think they'll do very well with Tanev as they have no chemistry, then after this year they'll be gone and Tanev will have to find a new defensive partner. I think the best thing is to hold onto Ballard for now and trade him if we can't hold onto him next season due to salary cap issues.

Archived