Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * - - 5 votes

Jordan Schroeder > Cody Hodgson. The truth!

• Please log in to reply
249 replies to this topic

#1 Jordan Schroeder

Jordan Schroeder

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:35 PM

POPULAR

Jordan Schroeder will be better than Cody Hodgson because...

1) He doesn't skate in quicksand
2) Can actually play some defense
3) Doesn't have parent prima donnas
4) Doesn't seem to have a "me me, i'm entitled to X" mentality
5) Doesn't have the injury history that Hodgson has

In all seriousness, Jordan Schroeder has all the makings to be an effective top 6 player in the NHL for a long time. Size is not an issue with Schroeder, it's only a non- added benefit to his overall skill set. I've seen Schroeder play a more physical and engaging hockey than Hodgson ever did with his time in Vancouver. He's clearly has a better sense of defensive play as well, maybe it's because he can actually skate around the ice and keep up with the best of them.

Cody Hodgson is a soft player, when push comes to shove in playoffs he'll just get exposed more and more. The Canucks won this trade by getting rid of a cancer to the lockerroom and by trading for a "Bigger piece" to the puzzle! kehehe pun intended We all saw that ridiculous CBC interview of Hodgson aftering being traded. He was simply asked point blank "Did you ask for a trade?" A simple yes and no answer which he dodged like the prima donna he is.

The skill is there, and when he gets more experience and better linemates (ie. get rid of Weise) on that 2nd line, he'll put up numbers similar to Cody Hodgson minus the defensive mistakes that send chills down a coaches spine.

Only time will tell but i'll eventually be proven right as the season progresses.

Sig By VC (thx )

#2 Beluga Whale

Beluga Whale

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:36 PM

POPULAR

Not even close. At best Schroeder will be a second liner. Hodgson is already a top 6 center and will continue to develop into a star player in this league.

Edited by Beluga Whale, 26 January 2013 - 04:54 PM.

Posted Image
Prestige Worldwide - GM of the Boston Bruins Posted Image

#3 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,366 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:37 PM

Debatable.
But not really.
Posted Image

#4 sport scout

sport scout

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:40 PM

Cody wasn't going to get top six minutes here with the depth the canucks have, with kesler and sedin playing center, the trade made sense

#5 Everybody Hates Raymond

Everybody Hates Raymond

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:41 PM

I don't like Cody but he is better than JS

#6 EddieVedder

EddieVedder

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:43 PM

I highly doubt it. With Hank and Kesler down the middle, and with Gaunce looking like one hell of a 2 way prospect, its going to take a miracle for Schroeder to cement himself on this team. Id bet my house that Schroeder gets dealt for a winger sometime within the next year or so.

Also, I like Schroeder, but Cody was just on another level.

Edited by EddieVedder, 26 January 2013 - 01:44 PM.

#7 RiCHC3

RiCHC3

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:43 PM

Care to do my palm reading while I'm here?

#8 Tom Sestito

Tom Sestito

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,436 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:45 PM

Care to do my palm reading while I'm here?

Posted Image
Thank you VC!

#9 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:49 PM

I highly doubt it. With Hank and Kesler down the middle, and with Gaunce looking like one hell of a 2 way prospect, its going to take a miracle for Schroeder to cement himself on this team. Id bet my house that Schroeder gets dealt for a winger sometime within the next year or so.

Also, I like Schroeder, but Cody was just on another level.

He can be Kesler wing something Hodgson cannot do due to lack of speed

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

WIN THE CUP FOR SALO CAMPAIGN

#10 KING ALBERTS

KING ALBERTS

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,212 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:49 PM

no.. maybe if your talking about kassian, but schroeder hasnt really shown anything to be excited about yet. in fact, hes been very unnoticeable.
Posted ImagePosted Image

i fel off the banwagon and hit my hed on a rok

#11 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:51 PM

POPULAR

no.. maybe if your talking about kassian, but schroeder hasnt really shown anything to be excited about yet. in fact, hes been very unnoticeable.

You must have miss the pass to Raymond.......

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

#12 ba;;isticsports

ba;;isticsports

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:52 PM

Cody wasn't going to get top six minutes here with the depth the canucks have, with kesler and sedin playing center, the trade made sense

True
Thought I think a line of
Booth Coho Kesler (on wing) would have been more effective than with Kesler keeping the puck for himself

I like Kesler, but think a centre should utilise his wingers better and set "them" up
A centre is like the quarterback driving the offence, throwing to his receivers,occasionally running with it yourself (but not 75% of the time like Kesler does)

Coho has proven he is a good player
JS looks promising
Kassian appears to be the real deal

It is still early in each of their careers to tell,Time will be the true test
I hope Kassian and JS turn out to be the better stars
I think it may be Kass and CoHo though

#13 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,846 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:56 PM

POPULAR

Put Schroeder between Pominville and Vanek he'll get better results.
Posted Image

#14 ahf149

ahf149

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:57 PM

I am not a fan of Cody, I used to be...but the more and more I learn about him. Hes lazy and from my friend who works closely with the Canucks (said he had a piss poor attitude and didnt fit well with the team-- I mean ordering milk at a bar?? Really are you 10?)

I dont know much about Schroeder yet, I have only seen him play twice now. I seen him in the camps in Penticton but that was slightly different.

I think the reason why Weise is on that line with Raymond, is they needed a big body to compensate for their size. *shrugs* Got any other ideas??
Life is short, LIVE IT

#15 KING ALBERTS

KING ALBERTS

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,212 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:58 PM

You must have miss the pass to Raymond.......

no, it must have been an average pass that isnt worth writing home about. that one pass doesnt make schroeders call up a successful one... hes been about as forgettable as ebbett was on the second line...

christ, they put alex burrows at centre above schroeder. THAT should tell you something.
Posted ImagePosted Image

i fel off the banwagon and hit my hed on a rok

#16 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:59 PM

Put Schroeder between Pominville and Vanek he'll get better results.

we don't have a vanek or Pominville but I think Jensen and hansen would be work as winger for him.....

#17 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:00 PM

no, it must have been an average pass that isnt worth writing home about. that one pass doesnt make schroeders call up a successful one... hes been about as forgettable as ebbett was on the second line...

christ, they put alex burrows at centre above schroeder. THAT should tell you something.

that because he a rookie

#18 Iamacanuck18

Iamacanuck18

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:01 PM

Kassian> COHO schroeder not so much!!

#19 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:02 PM

Nope
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#20 eretz canucks

eretz canucks

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:04 PM

POPULAR

Not even close. At best Scheoder will be a second liner. Hodgson is already a top 6 center and will continue to develop into a star player in this league.

Cody is a top 6 player...on a bad team. On a good team...bottom six

#21 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:05 PM

Schroeder was no match for Cody as a junior and will never match him in the NHL. Do you really think he will ever be a #1C in the NHL? I like Jordon, but let's not hype his game. If he can be a consistent #3 with some #2 potential, he will be a success.

#22 Raiun

Raiun

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:05 PM

No they didn't.. Schroeder is centering the second line, Burrows is centering the third. Also, the kid has been playing great, way better for his first couple of games than anyone could have expected.

#23 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,838 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:09 PM

Not even close. At best Scheoder will be a second liner. Hodgson is already a top 6 center and will continue to develop into a star player in this league.

Cody has a ways to go before he is going to be considered a top 6 player. Any decent team in the league he is a third line player at this point. Will Schroeder be better than him, probably not. But he could likely fit a top 6 role down the road with the proper development.

Also, enough of all the Hodsgson comparisons against Canuck players. HE IS GONE! Time to move on.

Edited by zero-ONE-three, 26 January 2013 - 02:10 PM.

#24 canucklehead44

canucklehead44

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,135 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:10 PM

Schroeder is faster and I would give him the edge in terms of defensive awareness but he doesn't have close to the amount of offensive awareness that Hodson has. Hodgson has far superior vision and a dangerous shot.

But TBH I don't think Hodgson will be a star in this league. If he was a little faster I think he could be a Giroux type player but I think he will be the second coming of Tim Connolly for the Sabres, which isn't a bad thing. Connolly was a 5th overall pick and had 4 seasons where he averaged close to a PPG. One difference is Hodgson will be more of a 25 goal, 40 assist player vs a 15 goal, 50 assist player.

The closest comparison to Schroeder is Andrew Cogliano. Similar draft picks (25th overall vs 26th), both played for US universities (and put up similar numbers), undersized, great speed and average NHL skill.

I can imagine the exact same review for Schroeder in 2 or 3 years if he sticks:
What can I say, I still like Cogliano's game. I thought that he skated really well, frequently coming back into the deep into the defensive zone to give the defensemen an easy passing option, and then coming up the ice quickly enough to get into the play on offense. He demonstrated decent offensive awareness, especially when his teammates had the puck, driving toward the net or high slot to get to rebounds, although there were a couple of times when he didn't make a good decision when he was the one with the puck. He also seems to see the puck well off the goaltender at both ends of the ice, which helped him to win several races to loose pucks in this game. Finally, he has definitely improved in his understanding of the game. He rarely turned the puck over at either blue-line because of a cute move, and was the player on his line most likely to recognize the importance of getting the puck out of his zone, or deep into Wild territory. But it certainly wasn't all roses. When he doesn't win the race to a loose puck cleanly, he's often outmuscled, and even when he does, if the other player can track him down and engage along the boards, Cogliano frequently loses the puck - he just doesn't win 50/50 battles. Cogliano also usually sold out to what he thought opposing players would do, and when something else happened instead, he was out of position, and unable to recover. Defensively, he had a hard time marking players in front of the net, and generally looked confused in the defensive zone on more than one occasion. Some of that was probably his linemates (none of the three were particularly consistent in terms of identifying where they should be defensively), but some is no doubt Cogliano being overwhelmed. Overall, I still think Cogliano has a lot of promise (preferably as a speedy winger, but that's nothing new), and I didn't see anything to give me any concerns about his effort level (I haven't at other times this season so that bolsters the sample, but this is still only one game). I think the biggest thing he needs to work on is winning pucks along the boards. It's already a terrible weakness in his game, and if the Oilers do ever move him to wing, it will become even more obvious.

Edited by canucklehead44, 26 January 2013 - 02:12 PM.

Sig too big.

#25 Zoolander

Zoolander

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,075 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:10 PM

Schroeder is a more complete player than Cody, and a faster skater as well. Like Kassian he is a year behind in his developement, but will now play a major role on this team while Kesler is out. I'd take the more complete player playing on a 2nd/3rd line, over a 1-dimensional player anyday of the week!

Debatable.
But not really.

Hodgson's offensive ability might be better, but like I said before, Schroeder skating, and 2-way game are what the Canucks are all about, and in the 2 games he's played, he's created a ton of scoring chances, and should have more than the 1pt he has. If Weise, could actually finish, Schroeder could have about 3assists by now possibly a goal or 2. Keep in mind, he's still adjusting to the NHL pace, and is a year behind Cody in developement as well.

I'm liking what I've seen from him, and I think he's gonna really take advantage of his opportunity while Kesler is out

Edited by Zoolander, 26 January 2013 - 02:12 PM.

My 2014 Draft wishlist: 1st rd: Draisaitl, Virtanen, Scherbak. 2nd rd: Brendan Lemieux, Thatcher Demko (Goalie)
Posted Image
Future Canucks top 6:
Shinkaruk-Draisaitl-Scherbak
Virtanen-Horvat-Jensen

#26 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:11 PM

lol all this thread is going to do is bring out the hodgson lovers
Posted Image

#27 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:13 PM

It not fair to compare the two of them.........Hodgson is older and has develop more.........while Schroeder just started.....long term Schroeder is likely to have a long career because of his elite speed, physical, and two way play........but can convert to the wing something Hodgson would not be able to do

#28 forklift_ole

forklift_ole

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:19 PM

Schroeder and Hodgson have different playing styles. The advantage with Schroeder is he can, and will, play in any situation you need him to. He's smart and calm with the puck, he makes good passes, wins face-offs, and is surprisingly strong along the boards for a player his size.

Hodgson is more talented than Schroeder, but he has a tendency to float a bit when he's not in a situation where he can excel. He's more of a goal scorer and puck handler.

I think they both top out at second-line center. I know Hodgson's playing on the top line of the Sabers, but they don't have much depth.

#29 Captain Aerosex

Captain Aerosex

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:20 PM

I don't think he has a higher ceiling than Hodgson, but I like that he brings a faster and grittier game to the table. Makes up for his size with pluckiness.

But no, I don't think he's a more valuable player...CoHo's got more offensive talent, and you just can't teach talent.

Edited by Witchcraft and Sedinery, 26 January 2013 - 02:21 PM.

Posted Image

#30 FelixPotvin29

FelixPotvin29

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:25 PM

Cody is still a more offensive threat and will have more success in the nhl then what schroeder will. I love schroeder and the fact that he has been patient and waiting for his chance to show what he can do. Doesnt have the best ahl numbers but i hope he will impress with his stint in the show this year for however long he is up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.