The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Schroeder > Cody Hodgson. The truth!

Jordan Schroeder

I like how everybody is saying that Hodgson is still much better. Do we really know? Who knows, JS has only played two games... He has an assist as well. He's also playing with Raymond and Weise, who aren't exactly Ponminville and Vanek.

JS has been nothing short of a great, hard working player, and he WILL prove many of us wrong. You guys just can't decide on who is better after seeing Schroeder play for only 2 games.

I want to see Schroeder on the wing, I'd think he'd be more effective there. And at best, this guy is a 2nd liner while peaking at 65 points. Schroeder is good, but he's not a 1st liner. I'd love to see him play with Kesler and Booth at some point though, but we all know Raymond has that spot secured.

THe OP's assessment is very optimistic. I hope it turns out to be rigth but the odds are against it.

And saying "give him better wingers than Weiss" misses a key point. GIven that JS is small and cannot play a physical game, he needs at least one big physical winger to play with him to keep the other team honest. Hodgson is not a physical player either, but he does at least have enough size and strength to win his share of puck battles on the boards. And he can go in front of the net. And he has a much better shot than JS.

But a line of Raymond, JS, and a (fairly) tough guy with them is not bad. Two good skaters with offensive skills and a tough guy is a time tested formula for success. Let's see how the numbers look after 20 games or so.

I don't have exact stats but I'd wager (because it's obvious) that from the pool of skilled AHL players called up into the NHL the majority of them do not pan out into top 6 material. I'd love to see Schroeder beat the odds but I haven't seen that kind of flare from him yet.

A caution: every single NHL player is a god among men in the hockey universe and each is capable of making dazzling plays given the opportunity. Put a Dale Weise/typical NHL 4th liner in a less skilled environment (Dutch pro League) and he'll be Gretzky-like compared to the opposition. The higher skill play of the NHL doesn't wipe out the latent that these players have, it just decreases their chances of making a play that showcases it, the window of opportunity shrinks. The moral of the story is we'll always see flashes of greatness from the lowest rungs of the NHL player pool BUT those flashes do not mean their on their way to greatness. The only way to accurately gauge upcoming talent is to observe their ratio of great plays over a long period of time.

Schroeder hasn't had enough time to prove himself and the odds are very much against him. I hope he is the rare exception.

I like how everybody is saying that Hodgson is still much better. Do we really know? Who knows, JS has only played two games... He has an assist as well. He's also playing with Raymond and Weise, who aren't exactly Ponminville and Vanek.

JS has been nothing short of a great, hard working player, and he WILL prove many of us wrong. You guys just can't decide on who is better after seeing Schroeder play for only 2 games.

Schroeder made the U20 team at only 17 in 2008 and still scored 8 points in 6 games against guys much bigger and older than he. He's got the record for points for an American in the tournament, and is in third place all time for career assists in the World Juniors. Overall he's got 27 points in 19 games, plus a gold medal.

Hodgson went to one World Juniors, scored 16 points in 6 games, and won the gold.

Say what you will about what Cody "might have done", but as it stands, I'd say they're fairly even in Juniors achievement.

I want to see Schroeder on the wing, I'd think he'd be more effective there. And at best, this guy is a 2nd liner while peaking at 65 points. Schroeder is good, but he's not a 1st liner. I'd love to see him play with Kesler and Booth at some point though, but we all know Raymond has that spot secured.

Nobody cares about your defense when you score. If guys like Kopitar and Toews couldn't produce points, they would be bottom 6ers, they don't have the 1st line job because they can check.

Malhotra can check, he's easily our worst player. Higgins, Lapps, Hansen are all responsible defensive players, but we ain't paying em more than a couple mill because they're a dime a dozen.

Offense >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Defense. This is why Sedin is our #1 guy and Kes is the #2.

If anyone watched last night's game and saw the feed he gave raymond, the passes he was making on the pp and throughout the game, I think we have the playmaker for the second line. He needs to have a shot with Kesler when Kes is back to see if they can find some chemistry.

That line needs a creative presence, he is showing he has it, can play D and can skate. I really see no reason to rush to judgement on this kid.

Those saying he's not better than CoHo, time will tell and yes CoHo is further ahead OFFENSIVELY at this point but:

1. As the OP said, and I would agree, Schroeds is showing he is much more defensively responsible than CoHo was/is even now

2. He has better wheels

3. Vision is on par, ability to pass

4. I'll give the shooting edge to CoHo (so far bec its still early).

5. Lets look at where Schroeds is after 45 games vs CoHo's first 45 before evaluating (and not just points, as a contributor all around).

6. Intelligence and poise. He understands what he needs to do to stick, and what AV wants out of him and he's doing it, something CoHo didn't want to accept.

7. I believe Schroeds has the tools to be a much better NHL'er than CoHo for many of the same points, and don't forget the kid was on team usa and a stud, he is not a fringe talent...patience guys, alot of people were crying about Kassian and now they're eating crow..

Archived