The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Schroeder > Cody Hodgson. The truth!

Jordan Schroeder

waa waa about cody ' the cancer ' hodgson , he is gone get over it , stop comparing apples to oranges , hodgson has a nhl caliber shot , his skating is suspect , . we got value in a trade for player who simply didnt want to be here, buffalo got what they needed we got what we needed , a young power foward with skill , mike gillis did a great job in that trade, trading a whiner who thought he was better than kesler and sedin or at least thats what cody,s dad thought

It's a good debate. It's crazy to say but the OP might be on to something. Cody just had alot more hype, so it's not surprising no one can view this POV seriously.

I posted this in the Jordan Schroeder thread last night:

This is something I have been thinking about alot aswell.

I mean can he become a better player? Maybe, maybe not. But when you break down what both players bring, you see Schroeder has some significant advantages and I don't think Cody has many significant advantages over JS.

I wouldn't write off JS potentially becoming just as good if not better, perhaps the ceiling isn't as high but in a year I could see JS as just as good a player as Cody is now, cause I think he is a better player now than Cody was at this point in the season last year, and like Cody I expect Schroeder will continue to get better as the season goes along.

My main question is what's gonna be Booth's role on this team? Especially if Mason Raymond continues to put up points.

And now that Kassian is starting show promise and Schroeder is starting to get some games in for his own experience, will MG consider putting him on the trading block?

If Schroeder and Kassian continue this play I think he will be, but I doubt it, we could move Schroeder down the the third line and hansen can play on the fourth and Volpatti and Weise can battle it out for the last spot. I would really love to see schroeder center for kesler, he would set Kesler up like a love guru. Then Burrows or Raymond can be on the other wing as Burrow has crazy chemistry with Kesler but Raymond has pretty good chemistry with Schroeder. Kassian can stay on the first if he does well if not he can give the second a shot. Bottom six stays the same except volpatti and weise will have to battle it out for the last spot. If anything and AV really doesn't want to play JS he can move him back down to the AHL and Malhotra or Lapiere won't get resigned. ): good team problems ):

I like how everybody is saying that Hodgson is still much better. Do we really know? Who knows, JS has only played two games... He has an assist as well. He's also playing with Raymond and Weise, who aren't exactly Ponminville and Vanek.

JS has been nothing short of a great, hard working player, and he WILL prove many of us wrong. You guys just can't decide on who is better after seeing Schroeder play for only 2 games.

Better? What basis are we judging one player to be better by?

More useful to this team? Well in the Kassian and Schroeder vs Hodgson and Schroeder scenario I would take Kassian and Shroeder. We lose a playmaking centre with a good shot who we replace with a smaller, yet faster and grittier 2 way centre who plays well in defensive situations, while also bringing in Kassian, a hard hitting, large powerforward.

So is the organization better off going with Schroeder as a centre (plus Kassian from the deal) or are we better off with just Hodgson and Schroeder (who would have no room to make the team in this organization and doesn't have much trade value at the moment), which basically means just Hodgson as Schroeder would stay in the AHL, or are we better with Kassian and Schroeder?

I would definitely choose Kassian and Schroeder.

Do you think Cody has the potential of a #1C?

I certainly don't.

I notice everyone saying Cody has superior offensive talent. but honestly JS has high offensive talent aswell, his wrister IMO is just as good if not better and he is just as good a passer, and he is better at anticipating the play and making the passes in an instant.

Schroeder was once rated like 15th among prospects in the league on a website I saw, since then he has been on the backburner for no good reason, and now he is starting to show that potential again. Could see he and Cody both as good 2nd line center's who both bring a bit different components.

Frankly, Cody Hodgson =/= what some people think Cody Hodgson is.

Schroeder and Hodgson are both still developing and are a long way off.

Each guy has something to offer. At the moment, Schroeder has more to offer the Canucks than does Hodgson. Schroeder can be a good 2RW and he can also serve as a 3C, so this flexibility makes Schroeder valuable. Hodgson is pretty much useless unless he is a top-6 center, which he would not be on this team for any amount of time. Yes, Kesler is injured etc, etc, however Kesler won't be injured for the next decade.

Hodgson will likely be the bigger point producer of the two (I mean between Hodgson and Schroeder), provided he has wingers who can also do a lot of the work. Interestingly enough, while Hodgson is supposed to be a great play-maker, and he's supposed to make the guys around him better, he hasn't got a single assist four games into the season, and this with him being on the top line with a couple of pretty good shooters (I believe he is with Vanek and Pominville, no?). It seems odd that he has only 3 points (3g) while they are at 9 and 8 points respectively.

Hodgson was +4 over his first two games, but was -2 over his next two games.

Schroeder is the better skater of the two.

Another area where Schroeder might have a leg up is that he has shown more in the faceoff circle during his development. Hodgson showed an ongoing weakness in this area. Last season he only managed a 37% success ratio during his time with Buffalo. This season, Hodgson has had variable results of 55% in a win vs Philadelphia, 27.7% in a win vs Toronto, 27.2% in a loss vs Carolina, 47.6% in a loss vs Carolina.

This season Schroeder has provided results of 25% in a win vs Calgary and 57.9% in a win vs Anaheim.

It's a small sample size for both players so take it for what it's worth.

regards,

G.

This thread just confirms how bitter and illogical most of CDC is.... Hodgson is so much better than Schroeder, this shouldn't even be a comparison. Just because you hate Hodgson now (as fickle Canucks fans like to do) means you can blind yourself to the fact that Hodgson has three goals already, as well as 40 points last year? Not to mention he scored at a point per game pace in the AHL while Schroeder was trucking along at an average pace.... oh, but of course! Schroeder got an assist! So Schroeder > Hodgson. Yeah, no. Schroeder might be a better skater, but that's it.

I think it's wayyyy to early to tell. It's Schroeders 4th game in the NHL. Cody's on his 2nd yr.

But I will say Schroeder's been more successful playing difficult minutes early in his NHL career. 2nd most faceoffs taken last night, more d-zone faceoffs than any other Canucks, and playing against top opponents without a chaperone. You'll recall Cody playing the 'opposite' type minutes in his first 20+ games w/ Canucks. AV clearly trusts Schroeder early on - which is pretty shocking IMO. Obviously Schroeders earned it and it's nice to see.

Archived