The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Schroeder > Cody Hodgson. The truth!

Jordan Schroeder

I like the way JS plays esp for how small he is, he is not afraid to throw a hit mind you getting hit by him probably doesn't do much damage but he still hits, plus he seems to be one of the only guys on our team capable of entering the opponents zone without using the drop pass.....on a pp.

He can pass, he can shoot, he is fast, and he is good at both ends of the ice. is he better then CoHo maybe not, but i believe the guy we traded CoHo for is.....esp for what we as a team needed in a player.

he has 2 games under his belt and his 2 way game in both of them were already better than anything we saw from Hodgson during his time here.

He took the most faceoffs in the defensize zone of any Canuck on Friday, hell AV wouldn't even dare let Hodgson take one in our own zone last season.

Sticking to the playing side, they are just two diferent types of centre.

For the line that JS is centring he is, so far, an ideal type of player. Fast, sees the plays, is unselfish and quick enough to not only be in at the kill but to get back when/if the need demands it.

Cory for me was slow and studied, until it came to working on the boards, then he was quick and accurate and difficult to displace off the puck. He has a wonderful shot and a great eye for an opening. However at the end of the day his lack of pace will eventually see him hit his glass ceiling.

Schroeder on the other hand, if he keeps his speed while building some more muscle and adopts a bit more "devilment/swagger" could just be a real top liner by the time he is in his late 20's.

When CoHo was a Canuck he was going to be great despite his footspeed.

When CoHo became a Sabre we wasn't going to be great because of his footspeed.

When CoHo was a Canuck he had the best mentor he could have in Henrik Sedin that would have taught him how to be great and overcome his foot speed - just like he did. He had a chance to be patiently brought up as a #3 center behind Henrik and Kesler without the pressure of having to produce points and become a #1 center in 3-4 years when he's ready.

When CoHo became a Sabre he was rushed into being the #1 center with no one to guide him. It is now much less likely that Cody will become a great player because he is not surrounded by mentors that can guide him. However, Cody still does have a chance to be elite - the Sedins, after all, were also rushed and learned the hard way to become elite despite their foot speed. If Cody works hard, I can see him have a similar career where he breaks out around age 28.

It's just that Cody has a less likelihood to become elite in Buffalo than he did in Vancouver. There's no denying that.

There is no question that on the defensive side of the puck, Schroeder is more reliable. From his speed to his work ethic, Schroeder's tenacity to back check is what earns him points in the eyes of the Canucks management and coaching staff. This even lead to him getting an overtime shift in his first game as a Canuck.

Schroeder's developement in the AHL has been below expectations from a pure point production. The Wolves however, are not offensive juggernauts, especially under head coach Scott Arniel.

That said, the ceiling on Schroeder is still unknown. In his junior/univeristy career, he has shown the ability to put up above average points in a solid two-way game, playing with nobody.

Hodgson's junior career was pure offense. Cody was able to 92 Pts in 53 games with linemates, Evgeny Grachev(80pts) and Matt Duchene (79pts) in 2008-2009. He was CHL player of the year and played extremely well in the WJHC.

So how do you compare, let's take a look at the only even playing field.

2010-2011 Regular Season Stats:

CH: 52gp 17g 13a 30pts +8 (with Canucks 8gp 1g 1a 2pts)

JS: 61gp 10g 18a 28pts -7

2010-2011 Playoff Season Stats:

CH: 12gp 0g 1a 1pts

JS: 14gp 1g 5a 6pts

IMO, they are virtually the same player, the "offensive talent that CH possesses isn't far off what Schroeder can produce. Playing with Matt Duchene in Brampton was a clear advantage in the offensive development and reflects in his junior numbers. On the flip side, Schroeder is that much better defensively either, the minus number in the AHL shows me that Schroeder struggled to adjust to the speed and strength of professional hockey, even at the AHL level. He put up similar numbers to CH and did it one year younger.

All in all, neither player's base skill-set is far and away better than the other. With the exception of foot speed, advantage Schroeder.

We haven't even begun to discuss the attitudes and work ethic of each player. From the two games I've seen, I've seen JS work harder in battles along the boards, park himself in front of the net and retrieve loose pucks in the defensive zone, I never saw any of this with Cody.

Cody made himself expendable, and although the trade was a Win-Win for both teams, I think we won more, with Schroeder in the wings, Cody was expendable and Kassian has the POTENTIAL to be a dominant force for years to come, but that's another thread :)

Archived