The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Schroeder > Cody Hodgson. The truth!

Jordan Schroeder

Schroeder was no match for Cody as a junior and will never match him in the NHL. Do you really think he will ever be a #1C in the NHL? I like Jordon, but let's not hype his game. If he can be a consistent #3 with some #2 potential, he will be a success.

no, it must have been an average pass that isnt worth writing home about. that one pass doesnt make schroeders call up a successful one... hes been about as forgettable as ebbett was on the second line...

christ, they put alex burrows at centre above schroeder. THAT should tell you something.

Schroeder is faster and I would give him the edge in terms of defensive awareness but he doesn't have close to the amount of offensive awareness that Hodson has. Hodgson has far superior vision and a dangerous shot.

But TBH I don't think Hodgson will be a star in this league. If he was a little faster I think he could be a Giroux type player but I think he will be the second coming of Tim Connolly for the Sabres, which isn't a bad thing. Connolly was a 5th overall pick and had 4 seasons where he averaged close to a PPG. One difference is Hodgson will be more of a 25 goal, 40 assist player vs a 15 goal, 50 assist player.

The closest comparison to Schroeder is Andrew Cogliano. Similar draft picks (25th overall vs 26th), both played for US universities (and put up similar numbers), undersized, great speed and average NHL skill.

I can imagine the exact same review for Schroeder in 2 or 3 years if he sticks:

What can I say, I still like Cogliano's game. I thought that he skated really well, frequently coming back into the deep into the defensive zone to give the defensemen an easy passing option, and then coming up the ice quickly enough to get into the play on offense. He demonstrated decent offensive awareness, especially when his teammates had the puck, driving toward the net or high slot to get to rebounds, although there were a couple of times when he didn't make a good decision when he was the one with the puck. He also seems to see the puck well off the goaltender at both ends of the ice, which helped him to win several races to loose pucks in this game. Finally, he has definitely improved in his understanding of the game. He rarely turned the puck over at either blue-line because of a cute move, and was the player on his line most likely to recognize the importance of getting the puck out of his zone, or deep into Wild territory. But it certainly wasn't all roses. When he doesn't win the race to a loose puck cleanly, he's often outmuscled, and even when he does, if the other player can track him down and engage along the boards, Cogliano frequently loses the puck - he just doesn't win 50/50 battles. Cogliano also usually sold out to what he thought opposing players would do, and when something else happened instead, he was out of position, and unable to recover. Defensively, he had a hard time marking players in front of the net, and generally looked confused in the defensive zone on more than one occasion. Some of that was probably his linemates (none of the three were particularly consistent in terms of identifying where they should be defensively), but some is no doubt Cogliano being overwhelmed. Overall, I still think Cogliano has a lot of promise (preferably as a speedy winger, but that's nothing new), and I didn't see anything to give me any concerns about his effort level (I haven't at other times this season so that bolsters the sample, but this is still only one game). I think the biggest thing he needs to work on is winning pucks along the boards. It's already a terrible weakness in his game, and if the Oilers do ever move him to wing, it will become even more obvious.

It not fair to compare the two of them.........Hodgson is older and has develop more.........while Schroeder just started.....long term Schroeder is likely to have a long career because of his elite speed, physical, and two way play........but can convert to the wing something Hodgson would not be able to do

Schroeder and Hodgson have different playing styles. The advantage with Schroeder is he can, and will, play in any situation you need him to. He's smart and calm with the puck, he makes good passes, wins face-offs, and is surprisingly strong along the boards for a player his size.

Hodgson is more talented than Schroeder, but he has a tendency to float a bit when he's not in a situation where he can excel. He's more of a goal scorer and puck handler.

I think they both top out at second-line center. I know Hodgson's playing on the top line of the Sabers, but they don't have much depth.

Cody is still a more offensive threat and will have more success in the nhl then what schroeder will. I love schroeder and the fact that he has been patient and waiting for his chance to show what he can do. Doesnt have the best ahl numbers but i hope he will impress with his stint in the show this year for however long he is up.

Schroeder was no match for Cody as a junior and will never match him in the NHL. Do you really think he will ever be a #1C in the NHL? I like Jordon, but let's not hype his game. If he can be a consistent #3 with some #2 potential, he will be a success.

I am not a fan of Cody, I used to be...but the more and more I learn about him. Hes lazy and from my friend who works closely with the Canucks (said he had a piss poor attitude and didnt fit well with the team-- I mean ordering milk at a bar?? Really are you 10?)

I dont know much about Schroeder yet, I have only seen him play twice now. I seen him in the camps in Penticton but that was slightly different.

I think the reason why Weise is on that line with Raymond, is they needed a big body to compensate for their size. *shrugs* Got any other ideas??

Schroeder still has a long way to go to get to Hodgson's level. However, I don't get why we're even comparing the two. It should be Kassian vs. Hodgson since they were traded for one another and, IMO, they're both pretty even so far this season.

Kassian is bigger, tougher, younger, and more in line with our needs, so it's looking like it was a solid trade for us, IMO.

Archived