The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Schroeder > Cody Hodgson. The truth!

Jordan Schroeder

This thread just confirms how bitter and illogical most of CDC is.... Hodgson is so much better than Schroeder, this shouldn't even be a comparison. Just because you hate Hodgson now (as fickle Canucks fans like to do) means you can blind yourself to the fact that Hodgson has three goals already, as well as 40 points last year? Not to mention he scored at a point per game pace in the AHL while Schroeder was trucking along at an average pace.... oh, but of course! Schroeder got an assist! So Schroeder > Hodgson. Yeah, no. Schroeder might be a better skater, but that's it.

Jordan has earned his role.

Cody IMO, didn't last year. He wanted out the year earlier so we needed him to make the club so we could get better assets in return.

Saying Jordan has been giving "sweetness and the light" whatever that means, couldn't be further from the truth, Jordan has worked hard, overcome critics and earned his opportunity and now he is making the most of it.

Again.bashing Hodgson to fill your misguided soul is just sad.Stating that a player wants out in every second post without a shred of supporting evidence is ignorant.

Hodgson never worked hard and some mysterious skater potted all his goals for him.Yeah.

I am sure Schroeder would like to play for the Wild and Kes would like to play for the Red Wings or whomever was his childhood favourite.Get a clue,bud and quit bashing and trolling.

Did Kassian earn first line honours in the NHL....

What did he do at the AHL level that gave him this privilige....

Kassian is up with the Sedins because Burr is playing 2c.

With that said,Kassian has shown he has game so I am happy that he is given a chance.

The .org is giving him some confidence but it is because Kes is hurt and the.org did not trade for or sign a 2c as they should have.

Again.bashing Hodgson to fill your misguided soul is just sad.Stating that a player wants out in every second post without a shred of supporting evidence is ignorant.

Hodgson never worked hard and some mysterious skater potted all his goals for him.Yeah.

I am sure Schroeder would like to play for the Wild and Kes would like to play for the Red Wings or whomever was his childhood favourite.Get a clue,bud and quit bashing and trolling.

I think it is more of a future thing.

To me the comparison is where Schroeder is now vs where Cody was at this point in the season last year.

Only been 2 games, but those 2 games have been more telling than just saying "it's been 2 games" as AV has already shown the confidence in JS to give him the most Dzone starts of any center and was rewarded with JS going 11 for 19 in the dot overall.

I think Schroeder is a bit better overall in that respect. (as I have maintained after watching the Wolves during the lockout that he was better prior to his debut than Cody was in last years pre-season) And if Schroeder continues to grow this year and get better as the year goes along like Cody did with us last season, then I don't see why he can't be at the same point Cody is at now, next season.

I highly doubt it. With Hank and Kesler down the middle, and with Gaunce looking like one hell of a 2 way prospect, its going to take a miracle for Schroeder to cement himself on this team. Id bet my house that Schroeder gets dealt for a winger sometime within the next year or so.

Also, I like Schroeder, but Cody was just on another level.

Well, the vast majority of the people posting here have never seen Schroeder play (save for preseason and the odd Wolves game on TV) until the past two games, and its a bit ridiculous for them to be proclaiming that he's a bonafide NHLer. It's way too early to make that assessment - and really, just because AV shows confidence in him doesn't account for much... when Hodgson was here, he was stuck behind Henrik and Kesler and there was no opportunity for him to play big minutes. Schroeder's only getting those minutes because Kesler's out (and Malhotra wasn't playing yesterday either).

So again, its way too early to say "Schroeder's better than _____" because he's proven nothing yet. He could be better later on, but we don't know yet.

What's even more hilarious is that if he goes on a cold streak at some point, the same people saying he's amazing now will be bashing him and calling for him to be sent back down.

Let me preface my post by stating that I won't be contributing to the Schroeder vs. Hodgson debate. My apologies for that.

For all of the old-timers on the board like myself, does Schneider remind you of Doug Smail, who used to play for the Winnipeg Jets from 1980 to 1990? Both are small in stature (Schroeder 5'8"/Smail 5'9"; both weighing 175 lbs.), but bodies built for hockey (i.e., strong quads, thick chest, thick arms, etc.); very good college/amateur careers; NHL speed; very good hockey skills.

The stat line on Doug Smail's NHL career totals for regular season is:

GP: 845; G: 210; A: 249; TP: 459; PIM: 602; +/-: -35 (his year to year can be found on this link: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=5014)

Aside from the +/- (which were adversely affected by bad Winnipeg Jets and Ottawa Senators teams he played on in 1980-81 and '92-'93 respectively), if Schroeder could post similar career numbers, I would be pretty damn happy.

For those who will suggest that we're comparing players from different eras, the point is taken...my point is that they are similar players, and Smail, once given his shot, had a decent NHL career.

Let me preface my post by stating that I won't be contributing to the Schroeder vs. Hodgson debate. My apologies for that.

For all of the old-timers on the board like myself, does Schneider remind you of Doug Smail, who used to play for the Winnipeg Jets from 1980 to 1990? Both are small in stature (Schroeder 5'8"/Smail 5'9"; both weighing 175 lbs.), but bodies built for hockey (i.e., strong quads, thick chest, thick arms, etc.); very good college/amateur careers; NHL speed; very good hockey skills.

The stat line on Doug Smail's NHL career totals for regular season is:

GP: 845; G: 210; A: 249; TP: 459; PIM: 602; +/-: -35 (his year to year can be found on this link: http://www.hockeydb....ay.php?pid=5014)

Aside from the +/- (which were adversely affected by bad Winnipeg Jets and Ottawa Senators teams he played on in 1980-81 and '92-'93 respectively), if Schroeder could post similar career numbers, I would be pretty damn happy.

For those who will suggest that we're comparing players from different eras, the point is taken...my point is that they are similar players, and Smail, once given his shot, had a decent NHL career.

Since when does AHL preformence hold the merrit for who gets 1st line NHL opportunites?

If so Keith Acouin would have been Toronto's 1st line center long ago.

Kassian earned his 1st line role by playing well when he was given the opportunity.

did Cody earn his 1st line role? He was placed on that line from the start for 2 Reasons.

1) They have no depth, they had no one else aside from Ennis

2) They didn't want to breakup Ennis and Stafford or else Ennis would have likely been given that shot 1st.

Not sure where you are going with this.

Cody is just in a good spot between two good wingers. He will probably be removed from that spot when they find depth. Also, the only points he's gotten so far for the most part are shots going off his body, or bouncing in off him.

I really didn't mind Cody, but people hyped him way too much. That one slap shot against Boston, while sexy, certainly, made far too many people overvalue him. Especially since for 20 games he basically did nothing, then he got traded, and it was shown he didn't want to be here in the first place. We'll see how he does in Buffalo, but considering who he's playing with, and the fact most of his points are just luck, I'd take Kassian. Kassian is with the twins, sure. But Hodgosn should be rolling in assists and points being a center.

Archived