The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Schroeder > Cody Hodgson. The truth!

Jordan Schroeder

Maybe thats more a result of a lack of real offensive centers in their organization, so he kinda defaults to number 1? Have you seen the points he's been getting?

1. Bounces off his body for goals (2)

2. Pitty 3rd assists

3. Playing poorly defensively

4. Point total is being inflated by playing on the same line as a guy who has consistently sniped 40 goals a year without him and is on a tear.

5. Is Bozak and a number 1 there champ? Well he seems to be playing 1st on Toronto isn't he? Nice logic huh? same as yours. Should we trade kesler for Bozak since Kes is a number 2 and Bozak is a number 1? Lol...please..And don't argue because I am using YOUR logic..."he's playing number 1 so he is, is your logic"

6. Back to the Bozak example, as I assume you're going to argue CoHo's numbers aren't inflated, well Bozak's sure were playing with Kessel and Lupul so...hmmmm

Checkmate

Pretty much my exact feeling.

Kassian and Cody will both be very good players, and both fit each team better moving forward. It is actually kind of interesting in that respect.

They needed a center and got Cody, while having Foligno to fill a similar role moving Forward that they hoped Zack would, then ditto here with Zack being a bigger need, and having Schroeder to play that similar role to Cody.

As far as a Cody/Schroeder comparison, Schroeder is better on the rush as you say, aswell as the skating and seems to be better on faceoffs/defensively. Cody does though have a defensive aspect to his game aswell, just doesn't have the mobility to go with it like JS does.

I think offensively both have there strong points, Cody has a better slapper, Schroeder has just as good if not better of a Wrister, Cody is better on the PP/controlled situations at setting up players and making plays, Schroeder is better at making quick, hard, accurate passes in an instant with little time to think about it.

Both bring alot.

I think all 3 players in question will be good 2nd liners, all who bring different aspects to the table in there roles. It's exciting to see from our perspective. Cody and Zack probably have a higher ceiling as it looks right now, but I wouldn't write off JS either, could see him as a bit of a late bloomer and becoming a Cammalleri/Briere type of player.

Hope he can develop some good chem with Raymond. If MayRay has a subpar year, he's surely gone, if he plays well, he could take a bigger payday elsewhere. He doesnt make that much and with the new kid could be looking for better bank, not sure if the Nucks could accomodate that. A Schroeder-Raymond tandem could go a long way to keeping MR21 a Canuck, something I am really hoping for.

Cody Hodgson: People argue that Hodgson isn't great at defence but to be honest, now I'm not going to argue about that but I'd like to point out that he doesn't need to excel at defence. Look at Henrik Sedin for example (not saying that he is bad at defence), Henrik isn't exactly put out in defensive situations. He is mainly used to play in offensive situations where the coach knows he will excel. Hodgson will most likely succeed in the NHL as a strong offensive player who can put up 60-70 points a year.

Jordan Schroeder: I know that Schroeder doesn't have ideal size for an NHL player, but neither does Patrick Kane, Martin St. Louis, Derek Roy or Ray Whitney. I'm not saying that Schroeder is better than those guys but I don't think his size will be as much an issue as we think. As long as we give him a big winger to play with, opponents won't be so inclined to take liberties on him. I believe that Schroeder's speed and defensive abilities will keep him in the NHL for a long time and it will be a bonus if he can strengthen his offensive skills.

I think it's wayyyy to early to tell. It's Schroeders 4th game in the NHL. Cody's on his 2nd yr.

But I will say Schroeder's been more successful playing difficult minutes early in his NHL career. 2nd most faceoffs taken last night, more d-zone faceoffs than any other Canucks, and playing against top opponents without a chaperone. You'll recall Cody playing the 'opposite' type minutes in his first 20+ games w/ Canucks. AV clearly trusts Schroeder early on - which is pretty shocking IMO. Obviously Schroeders earned it and it's nice to see.

They are different types of players - who are very early in their careers with a lot of developing to do so claims about who is better are probably premature but I would say that Schroeder is a better fit in Vancouver simply because he has a skill set more suited to playing a third line role. Hodgson provided very good scoring support in that role, but using him optimally in situations that suited his strengths meant giving the third line more offensive zone starts than would normally be the case, with the result being a greater defensive tax on the already hobbled Kesler. Schroeder may not be 'better' but his two way game is a better fit imo. I'm admittedly biased in favour of players with a two way game - as far as I'm concerned if you don't play two way hockey, you better be a legitimate top line, consistently producing, offensive talent.

The dude in my avatar is Cyclone Taylor. Won two Stanley Cups, one with the Vancouver Millionaires.

From "The Legends Of Hockey" book:

"Fred Taylor raised in a home of church-going Methodists. Although hockey brought him into contact some boisterously, uninhibited playmates, he went through his entire life without taking a drink, smoking, or playing cards. And he never swore- at least not publicly."

But he was tough as hell not only fast. He was losing his hair being almost bald in his 20's but anyone that teased him of that would get a sturdy poke-check or a cross check to the jaw.

Just because he ordered milk, so what? He has bad handlers, and I'm afraid unless his Dad and agent ease off, his career might be sidetracked like Lindros.

Reading the Coho thread.

And the optimistic bias towards Cody is incredibly clear to me, you even see it in this thread and whenever he is brought up in ZK talk.

/topic/214731-cody-hodgson-talk/page__st__6000">http://forum.canucks.../page__st__6000

I understand it was a different time but the fact that people were comparing him to Giroux, and saying that Landeskog wouldn't make our roster is unbelievable to me.

It's easy to judge now without the optimistic hype surrounding him (atleast for me, now that it has worn off on me), also easy to tell that just a few years ago our top 2 prospects at the time (said prospects in question: Schroeder & Cody) Were at an all time low valuewise, Schroeder came off a bad AHL year, and Cody was being projected as a 3rd liner by NHL anaylists after the 2011 playoffs.

It's also kinda funny reading it, people saying "AV would be gone before Cody was gone" and "It's not up to him (signed for 2 more years, then RFA after) and I don't see why he wouldn't want to stay for 2 more years or him having that attitude"

Oh well times are different. Just funny to look back and see some of this stuff.

Come on everyone. Enough of COHO.

Haha I can't imagine what a bad breakup would be like for you people.

It's far too early to make comparisons. Try seasons end.

Or 5+ years from now, even better...

Hodgson put up 41 pts last year. Fact.

Hodgson was given sheltered minutes, and a disproportionate number of o-zone starts. Fact.

Hodgson was not terrible, but wasn't very good defensively. Fact.

Hodgson put up comparable ppg numbers in OUR farm system. Fact.

IMO Hodgson is more talented. He's got a better shot.

But not the landslide that people make it out to be.

Writing off Schroeder is as ridiculous as writing of Hodgson before last year.

Wait and see.

Schroeder has got much better foot speed, comparable strength, and stronger 2-way play.

Its not inconceivable that he could score at a 32-35+ pt pace, WITHOUT selective starts.

Come playoff time the playoffs that IS a major plus.

Archived