The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sami Salo will outperform Jason Garrison

Swedish Vikings

AT THE MOMENT, down in the south, the Tampa Bay Lighting are really lighting the lamp and with Sami Salo, the veteran D man who use to play for us signed a 2 year (3.7M/per year) contrast with Tampa in the off-season. He's now paired up with Victor Hedman, a 6-6 monster from the hometown of the Sedin's and BY FAR, they are on fire so far. Sami Salo's guidance and experience will help shape how Victor Hedman will be in the future.

Now what I am saying is that we made a mistake letting Salo go and signing Garrison who had only 1 good season and may not show consistency which may be a problem. So my question is, will Salo out-perform Garrison? Keep in mind they have a stacked 1st line down there.

Always loved Salo but smartly HE went after some late career money that we just couldnt gamble on going forward. I want him to do well as always been a fav but getting Garrison who could work out longer term was the right move.

I liked Salo, but it was time for him to move on. Its great that he is grooming the young guys, its a good way to end your career and thats what the older guys should do. Is groom the younger guys coming in. Its not like Tampa Bay is going to be a daily threat to us anyways. Hedman was struggling, Ohlund wasnt helping. Meh. We have Garrison for 5 years, they have Salo for MAYBE two. Depends how long his fragile body lasts.

Well I always said Salo was our best defenseman... ...whenever he was playing.

Last year, he was making many more mistakes than he had in previous years and you could tell his skating wasn't what it used to be.

He still has the shot and he's still a reliable defender, well worth his $3.75M price tag, but I have difficulty believing this is the wrong move.

Even if he's a little better than Garrison this year (which I have difficulty believing even that), it's hard to argue that swapping 38-year-old Salo out for a 28-year-old Garrison was the wrong move given they have very similar skill sets, but one is a decade younger and isn't prone to injury.

Archived