The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Jason Arnott to NYR - deal is OFF

Strombone1

Schroeder is showing he is plenty capable, and that he is ready to contribute to this teams success and not just be a rookie callup for experience.

and judging by what we have seen thus-far I think he brings more than Arnott aside from size, but he makes up for that in speed, hockey IQ and elusiveness, all of which he has more than Arnott.

Solid signing, doubt he factors much in there success though honestly, he's not what he once was, I'm really glad we didn't dish out that money to him.

Schroeder is showing he is plenty capable, and that he is ready to contribute to this teams success and not just be a rookie callup for experience.

and judging by what we have seen thus-far I think he brings more than Arnott aside from size, but he makes up for that in speed, hockey IQ and elusiveness, all of which he has more than Arnott.

Wish him well in NYR though. (Until the playoffs come)

Perhaps a fair call; going back a few posts I'm not so sure you can make the statement that Schroeder had more hockey sense.

I was calling for Arnott, played 2knd line PP and 3rd line centre in St Louis and did not look too bad to me. He simply became redundant with the development of Berglund and Backes. But he failed his physical, so perhaps, yes, too slow and stale...

As to him not comparing hockey sense wise to Schroeder? He's a career 500 assist player in the NHL, nearly 1000 points. He was never so prolific as the Sedin's but has played roles over the years where he was a net front presence, a scorer, a primary passer, a checking line centre, played the point a long time top line forward, a captain, a cup winner... Schroeder has good instincts and speed, but will have a looooonnngggg learning period before he can say he has learned to play those roles in the NHL effectively.

I also like Schroeder's development, and see him as an NHL regular. But better hockey sense than a 20 year vet with those credentials?

-_-

He's play 2 and I have watched him with the Wolves all year.

His mobility is light years ahead of Arnott. He is a very stocky player for being so small and is very strong on his skates, he showed last night he cant be counted on to take faceoffs. (Getting the most Dzone faceoffs of anyone and going 11 for 19 overall)

He also brings more offense, and isn't a liability defensively, and also has the mobility to his advantage in that respect.

Arnott isn't what he used to be.

Archived