Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Strombone1

[Signing] Jason Arnott to NYR - deal is OFF

56 posts in this topic

NHL's best paper team got a little deeper, but I don't think he contributes too much. As has been said before, I'm glad we didn't dish out close to 2 mill on him.

Cap hit doesn't seem to apply to the Rangers.

Hes the kinda guy that will score those big goals in playoffs. Rangers should have a long playoff run.

Schroeder is showing he is plenty capable, and that he is ready to contribute to this teams success and not just be a rookie callup for experience.

and judging by what we have seen thus-far I think he brings more than Arnott aside from size, but he makes up for that in speed, hockey IQ and elusiveness, all of which he has more than Arnott.

Elusive! That's the word I was looking for! I noticed in his first couple games he would kind of disappear (I don't mean that in the usual insulting sense obv.) and then pop-up in an unexpected yet perfect place on the ice. Good call.

Arnott looked so slow in the playoffs last year for STL and reports are that he's lost another step over the lockout to boot. Pass

Good, as long as he doesn't dawn a Canucks jersey im happy.

Hey, DeNiro, look what happens when you don't sign him? Schroeder showcases the world he can play NHL hockey.

Great signing by the Rangers, they look like one of the favourites to win the Cup.

Solid signing, doubt he factors much in there success though honestly, he's not what he once was, I'm really glad we didn't dish out that money to him.

Schroeder is showing he is plenty capable, and that he is ready to contribute to this teams success and not just be a rookie callup for experience.

and judging by what we have seen thus-far I think he brings more than Arnott aside from size, but he makes up for that in speed, hockey IQ and elusiveness, all of which he has more than Arnott.

Wish him well in NYR though. (Until the playoffs come)

That's a lot of money for what he brings to the table nowadays.

Just looked up Rangers on capgeek and noticed Taylor Pyatt has 3 goals in 4 games, not bad.

thats weird, Arnott didnt pass the physical and now the deal is off!

Katie Strang @KatieStrangESPN

#NYR Tentative one-year deal between Rangers and Jason Arnott is OFF, source tells ESPN NY. Was not cleared by NYR team doctors

nothing strange about it if a player is not physically capable of passing the team's test they won't want him on their team simple really

Probably a strong reason why the Arnott to Vancouver rumours didn't heat up

Perhaps a fair call; going back a few posts I'm not so sure you can make the statement that Schroeder had more hockey sense.

I was calling for Arnott, played 2knd line PP and 3rd line centre in St Louis and did not look too bad to me. He simply became redundant with the development of Berglund and Backes. But he failed his physical, so perhaps, yes, too slow and stale...

As to him not comparing hockey sense wise to Schroeder? He's a career 500 assist player in the NHL, nearly 1000 points. He was never so prolific as the Sedin's but has played roles over the years where he was a net front presence, a scorer, a primary passer, a checking line centre, played the point a long time top line forward, a captain, a cup winner... Schroeder has good instincts and speed, but will have a looooonnngggg learning period before he can say he has learned to play those roles in the NHL effectively.

I also like Schroeder's development, and see him as an NHL regular. But better hockey sense than a 20 year vet with those credentials?

-_-

He's play 2 and I have watched him with the Wolves all year.

His mobility is light years ahead of Arnott. He is a very stocky player for being so small and is very strong on his skates, he showed last night he cant be counted on to take faceoffs. (Getting the most Dzone faceoffs of anyone and going 11 for 19 overall)

He also brings more offense, and isn't a liability defensively, and also has the mobility to his advantage in that respect.

Arnott isn't what he used to be.