The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Patrick Marleau

Psycho_Path

If you really want to bring that up.

Pavel Datsyuk has 33 goals in 126 playoff games.

Marleau has 52 in 129.

Marleau has always shown up in the playoffs. You can ask any San Jose fan. He's just unreasonably bashed. If those stats aren't good enough, he's also tied 2nd in GWG among active players. Jaromir Jagr is first, with 3 more and 50 more games. First among active players in Short handed goals. Only 33 years old.

People are just too amused by Jeremy Roenick comments on Marleau last year, but truth is, Roenick is a nut and has had 13+ Concussions. Anyone who actually watches the sport knows whats going on.

It's funny reading comments. Players who show up in the playoffs get bashed for being a 'no-show'. On the other hand, other players who put up lesser or similar numbers get glorified and praised as if they are the next Gretzky

i.e. see Kesler. I know he has 36 points in 50 ish playoff games but 11 of those points were from 6 playoff games. Thus Mr. playoff "beast" only has 25 points in 44 games, which is impressive but is far from extraordinary. Of course, this is not considering any defensive plays since it isn't like Kesler is considered a "beast" because he plays good defense. Everyone calls him "beast" due to his insane playoff numbers in one series.

There isn't a single player who can single handedly take a team through the playoffs. If the team chooses to shut down Crosby, Malkin has to step up, and vice versa. I use Crosby because he supposedly is the best player in the game. Did the Canucks making the finals now teach you anything at all? There isn't a Gretzky in the league. During the playoffs, it's all about the match ups. This is why it's rare for players to consistently be tops in scoring. In the playoffs, you learn a lot about these players, and learn to shut them down. For the past few years, teams have been so focused on shutting down Ovechkin, that Ovechkin doesn't even know what to do anymore. Shut down defense man like Pronger can dominate the league, but we don't see them often anymore. It's the reason Seth Jones will probably be picked ahead of Nathan McKinnon. Defensive side of the game is far superior to any offense.

It's funny reading comments. Players who show up in the playoffs get bashed for being a 'no-show'. On the other hand, other players who put up lesser or similar numbers get glorified and praised as if they are the next Gretzky

i.e. see Kesler. I know he has 36 points in 50 ish playoff games but 11 of those points were from 6 playoff games. Thus Mr. playoff "beast" only has 25 points in 44 games, which is impressive but is far from extraordinary. Of course, this is not considering any defensive plays since it isn't like Kesler is considered a "beast" because he plays good defense. Everyone calls him "beast" due to his insane playoff numbers in one series.

Um, just because Kesler is not scoring, doesn't mean he's not effective. He totally shut down Toews in round 1 of our cup run. The only goal JT got was a short-handed marker against our 2nd PP unit (so Kesler was off the ice).

Kesler always gets the hardest minutes, against the oppositions' best players, and yet has been even for the playoffs. Whereas Marleau is not nearly as often directly up against elite scorers, but is a career -11 in the playoffs, and hasn't had a plus-postseason since 2006.

Lastly, Marleau takes up 38% more cap room than Kesler.

You can pull out the "Kesler shut down Toews" card if you want. But you have to remember, there are two sides to the argument. Sure, Kesler limited Toews to 1 goal but Toews also had 3 assists, so his points total add up to 4. Of course, CDCers will argue that Kesler did a great job. But wait, let's see how Kesler did in that series. Oops, 4 points in 7 games as well (no goals). So while Kesler "shut down" Toews, Toews also "shut down" Kesler. (I'm not discrediting Kesler's efforts, he did a great job in that series)

Archived