• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:04 PM

Zack Kassian 22
Jordan Schroeder 22
Chris Tanev 23
Dale Weise 24

I realize its only 4 games in, but I hope to see some of these guys with the Canucks for a majority, if not the entire season.
Am I the only one who likes to see the younger guys step up and make a difference?
I find it quite nice to see some of our younger guys contributing, and playing well for the big club, its something that hasn't happened very often, if at all for this organization.

Here's how I could see the lines going into next year:

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
I hope that Kassian can keep producing points, I'm not expecting him to score a goal every single game, but one and awhile would be nice.
He works well with the twins because he can use his size to protect the puck and make room for Henrik and Daniel.

Booth-Kesler-Jensen(21)
I think Jensen would be a nice fit along side our 30 goal scoring, and 40 goal scoring winger and center, because he can pass, but also has a deadly shot and can use his frame to his advantage.

Higgins-Schroeder-Hansen
Schroeder has proven he can handle third line minutes that aren't sheltered so far, he can win faceoffs, and is an amazing playmaker.
This line would be a nightmare on the forecheck, using their speed to cycle the puck, they would also be very stable defensively, they wont be afraid to go to the dirty areas.

Lapierre-Malhotra-Weise
this would be the ideal fourth line, they can be a very solid line to use as shutdown, and kill penalties. Weise, who i think can be more than just a checker has shown some potential. He just needs to work on being able to finish.

Bottom Pairing:
Corrado-Tanev
I could honestly see Corrado making the jump next year over someone like KConn, but this pairing would be solid in both ends of the ice, Tanev who can make what seems like 0 mistakes, can also make a great first pass. What he needs to work on is his shot, it seems like his shots are similar to that of a bantam hockey players.
Corrado's transition game is pretty great, he can quarterback your powerplay, or your penalty kill. he is great to be used in all situations. Corrado also isn't afraid to fight.

Zack Kassian:
Strengths:
-Making Space
-Sense of hockey IQ
-Size

Weaknesses:
-Footspeed
-Stamina
-Consistency

Nicklas Jensen
Strengths:
-Shot
-Passing
-Size

Weaknesses:
-Transition to the NHL
-Defensive awareness

Jordan Schroeder
Strengths:
-Speed
-Playmaking
-Defensive ability

Weaknesses:
-Size
-Consistency
Posted Image

#2 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,965 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:06 PM

POPULAR

Burrows...?

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#3 logic

logic

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:10 PM

Burrows...?

Oh damn, How did I forget about him.
Posted Image

#4 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,764 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:22 PM

I also think this team needs a injection of youth - but think it will happen next yr. Lack and Connauton will likely be on the team, along with Tanev/Kassian/Schroeder. Corrados a righty so not sure about Tanev-Corrado pairing. Also, Gillis was pretty clear about players getting time in the minors, so I think Corr will play a full yr there paired w/ Price (barring injuries). I do think they'll bring up Jensen at the end of next season before playoffs (like they did w/ Hodgy). Plus, they'll probably get a young C in a goalie trade. They'll look pretty good next yr.

Sedin-Sedin-Burr
Kassian-Kesler-Booth
Hansen-Schroeder (or new guy)-Higgins
Jensen-Malhotra-Weise/Volpatti

Juice-Hammer
Garry-Edler
Connauton-Tanev

Lack/Schneider

(I think they let Lappy go, and re-sign Manny cheap and Higgins for around $2.25M). Canucks are in a really good spot capwise next yr cause they have to many young guys who are ready to make the jump to NHL.

Edited by RunningWild, 26 January 2013 - 07:33 PM.

#5 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,965 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:25 PM

We'd have to let Manny and Raymond go to be able to fit Jensen in, which I'm ok with

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Booth - Kesler - Burrows
Higgins - Schroeder - Jensen
Weise - Lapierre - Hansen

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#6 Mr. White

Mr. White

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:43 PM

Wow, a well thought out thread. That's refreshing. I like having some young guns on the team
Posted Image
^VanCauck93^

#7 yogolol

yogolol

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:49 PM

We'd have to let Manny and Raymond go to be able to fit Jensen in, which I'm ok with

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Booth - Kesler - Burrows

Idk if Raymond keeps playing like he is I'd keep him over wiese and move Higgins to the fourth line.
Watch my hockey tributes! http://www.youtube.c...urjesuss/videos

#8 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,581 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:51 PM

Weaknesses:
-Footspeed
-Stamina
-Consistency

Speed is not a problem for him. In fact, he's faster then the Sedins, and probably a faster skater then Jensen.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#9 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:58 PM

I think these lines may be better
Sedin Sedin Kassasin skill (Sedin), size/toughness/speed/go to the net (Kassasin)/set up ability (all three)
Booth Kesler Schroeder/Burrows size from kesler and booth, speed from all three, set up ability from Schroeder
Jensen Burrows/Schroeder Hansen like to see Jensen play with Hansen Burrows/Schroeder could alternate if one struggles ...
Volpatti/Higgins/Raymnd Lapiere Weise would be a good fourth line that provide energy and occasional score.......

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

WIN THE CUP FOR SALO CAMPAIGN

#10 mbal23

mbal23

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:18 PM

Burrows...?

Is 30...

#11 casofilia.canuck.nz

casofilia.canuck.nz

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:21 PM

I realize its only 4 games in, but I hope to see some of these guys with the Canucks for a majority, if not the entire season.

I want to see all of these in the CANUCKS for more than just this season. The way they are playing is what we need. When they have more experience the could well be the backbone of the team, well maybe not the backbone, how about the ribs!!

Go Canucks Go
Go CANUCKS Go.

#12 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75,297 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:02 PM

Is 30...

Can't believe how guys like Luongo, Sedins, Burrows are the oldest on the team.

Time sure flies.

307mg00.jpg

#13 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,408 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:07 PM

Idk if Raymond keeps playing like he is I'd keep him over wiese and move Higgins to the fourth line.

If all 3 keep playing like they are, Higgins will be the odd man out.

#14 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:11 PM

Time sure flies.

and Bieska

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

WIN THE CUP FOR SALO CAMPAIGN

#15 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,917 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:15 PM

Time sure flies.

Wow. Would you look at that eh... I still remember the Sedins' baby faces, Luongo's first season and how young, fresh and lightning fast he was, Burrows's first game and thinking, 'Just another filler - when are we going to go out and get some real players'...

Before we know it, some of these young guys like Kassian, Schroeder, Tanev and Jensen will be wearing letters on their chests and leading the team in scoring...

Athletes today are scared to make Muhammad Ali Statements.

#16 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,609 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:38 PM

You need young, skilled and energetic forwards and veteran, experienced and elite defencemen to win Cups nowadays.

Kings - Kopitar, Brown up front relatively young. Mitchell, Greene (veterans) and Doughty (elite/experienced)
Bruins - Peverley, Krejci, Lucic, Marchand up front all young and skilled. Chara, Seidenberg, Kaberle, Ference (all veterans).
Chicago - Toews, Kane, Sharp, Bolland etc. up front all young. Keith and Seabrook (elite), Campbell, Sopel (veterans)
Pittsburgh - Malkin, Crosby were very young. Oprik, Gill, Gonchar (veterans) and Letang (elite)
Detroit - Zetterberg and Datsyuk (young at the time, very skilled). Lidstrom, Rafalski etc. (veterans/elite)

Basically you need a good mix of youth and veteran leadership on any Cup winning team, but forwards should be young and skilled, defencemen should be older with more experience unless they're elite young players like Keith, Letang and Doughty were. We really need more youth up front with the Sedins, Burrows and Kesler getting old.

This season, throwing Hansen, Raymond, Kassian and Schroeder into bigger roles is exactly what this team needs. Booth's return will give us another younger player in his prime.
Posted Image

#17 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,755 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:43 PM

Brendan Gaunce is developing too, I think he'll be on the team sooner than most think.

Edited by playboi19, 26 January 2013 - 09:44 PM.

#18 ManUtd

ManUtd

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,813 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:03 PM

You need young, skilled and energetic forwards and veteran, experienced and elite defencemen to win Cups nowadays.

Kings - Kopitar, Brown up front relatively young. Mitchell, Greene (veterans) and Doughty (elite/experienced)
Bruins - Peverley, Krejci, Lucic, Marchand up front all young and skilled. Chara, Seidenberg, Kaberle, Ference (all veterans).
Chicago - Toews, Kane, Sharp, Bolland etc. up front all young. Keith and Seabrook (elite), Campbell, Sopel (veterans)
Pittsburgh - Malkin, Crosby were very young. Oprik, Gill, Gonchar (veterans) and Letang (elite)
Detroit - Zetterberg and Datsyuk (young at the time, very skilled). Lidstrom, Rafalski etc. (veterans/elite)

Basically you need a good mix of youth and veteran leadership on any Cup winning team, but forwards should be young and skilled, defencemen should be older with more experience unless they're elite young players like Keith, Letang and Doughty were. We really need more youth up front with the Sedins, Burrows and Kesler getting old.

This season, throwing Hansen, Raymond, Kassian and Schroeder into bigger roles is exactly what this team needs. Booth's return will give us another younger player in his prime.

They're the same age. When did 3 months become the difference between getting old and a younger player?

rsz_avs.jpg

#19 Tragoedia

Tragoedia

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:05 PM

We might not have a very deep prospect pool, but some of our young players look like they'll be able to fill roles in the near future for us. That's all I really can ask from a team that has been drafting from 20th position or higher. You have to get a lucky to get superstars from the later rounds.

#20 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,531 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:46 PM

Gaunce,Schroeder,Raymond.

Giroux ,Hartnell,Van Riemsdyck,Simmonds.

Thornton,Lucic,Marchand.

Nash,Richards,Callahan,Boyle,Kreider,Rupp.

Carter,Kopitar,Clifford,Penner,Brown,Richards,Gagner,Nolan.

Gaunce,Jensen and Shroeder and Raymond all on the top six.

Mmmm.ok.Sounds great if we want more medical emergencies.

Schroeder is said to be five foot seven in real life and Gaunce and Jensen would get killed with a top six comprised of teenagers and lighter weight men.

Jensen suffered a concussion in the AHL,already. Come on.The Flyers,Kings,Bruins and Rangers would eat these kids alive.

#21 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,486 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:58 PM

I like having young guys push too.

I think we have to let Higgins go at the end of the season though, and I also think it would be best to give Nick Jensen a year playing pro in NA unless he steps in and blows us away. but I do think a year in the AHL would be best for his development.

Line-up for next year (dis-regarding potential pieces in a Lu trade)

------------------------------------------ Forwards ------------------------------------------------
Daniel - Henrik - Kassian
- Kassian will only get better with a year of development, and reasoning behind it is obvious.

Booth - Kesler - Burrows
- Since you forgot Burrows I will put him here, he or Kass could flip flop, but this line is a very good 2nd line IMO.

Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen
- Schroeder will only be better with a year, I expect him to be as good as Cody is now (if he sticks with us the entire year) which is exciting, I expect he will step up and really be the X-factor to this team offensively next season
- Re-sign Raymond (if he continues this play) since he and Schroeder have Chemistry.

Manny - Lappy - Weise
- Re-sign Manny at much less
- Re-sign Lappy
- Weise is still young and continues to get better in this role

-----------------------------------------------Defense-------------------------------------------------
Hamhuis - Bieksa
- Same old Same old.

Garrison - Edler
- Ditto

Connaution - Tanev
- Ehh, won't be as effective as Ballard - Tanev (assuming Keith is victime of the cap dropping) but still.
- I think Corrado will challenge Connaution, and maybe beat him, but we will do what is best for deevlopment and probably give Connaution that shot 1st.

I know it is pretty much the same as we have this year, but I don't want to rush anyone, letting prospects over cook and make sure they are ready (as we have learnt from Detriot and other teams) is often best for development.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 26 January 2013 - 11:01 PM.

zackass.png

#22 Chip Kelly

Chip Kelly

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,865 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:47 AM

I wanna see how Raymond plays the rest of they year and how Booth does coming back from injury.

The Canucks are gonna have to shed salary to get under the cap for next year. One way to do that is to inject the team with younger cheaper players.

I think Jensen is ready to make the jump but I still think Corrado needs a couple of years in the minors to adjust to the pro game before he challenges for a spot on the Canucks d.

fyo3s9.jpg

Credit to Mr.DirtyDangles for the find and Twilight Sparkle for making a sick siggy!

#23 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,531 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:07 AM

Kassian will be the only one to stick this year.

Even then,I believe it will end up being a supporting role and not first line.

Once Kes and Booth return and Luongo brings in a right winger Kassian takes third line duties.

He could keep this pace up but I am betting Burr takes his rightful spot down the stretch.

Connauton is a defensive nightmare(-27 over three years) and Jensen is a few years away,Gaunce is further and will make the team when Corrado does.

Gillis goes with veterans and it has worked for the most part.

Schroeder and Kass have reached the stage where they can play supporting roles and that is how the org has dealt with all their rookies.

#24 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,486 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:14 AM

Once Kes and Booth return and Luongo brings in a right winger Kassian takes third line duties.

He could keep this pace up but I am betting Burr takes his rightful spot down the stretch.

Connauton is a defensive nightmare(-27 over three years) and Jensen is a few years away,Gaunce is further and will make the team when Corrado does.

Schroeder and Kass have reached the stage where they can play supporting roles and that is how the org has dealt with all their rookies.

Yeah Schroeder and Kassian both have proven they can step into the line-up and contribute already.

I think Jensen could crack next season, he is already playing against men, the worry might be that he won't be adjusted to the NA game. Myself I would give him 1 year in the AHL then give him every opportunity to crack the roster the following year. Even then if he plays well in the AHL perhaps he earns a call-up but hopefully we start him in Chicago next season.

Corrado is the one player I think is going to come to camp next year and get the chance to compete for a job, (assuming Ballard is dumped in the offseason) If he out plays Connaution I would be fine with letting him step in and play on our roster.

I do have faith in Connaution but your right the huge minus is a cause for concern but it is worth noting the team hasn't been as good as last season, and the genius had him with Joslin who has been outright terrible. We will get a better gauge of where he is next season in camp.

I think Gaunce is the mystery, he has been playing great in Bellville and physically he is certainly ready to step in, if he has improved his foot speed and overall mobility (which I think he has, and will only improve more in the offseason training with Gary Roberts) then he might have a serious shot at making the squad. Otherwise I see him going back to the OHL for another year and playing on Canada's WJ team.

Other than that, there isn't really anyone else though on the radar of being a potential player for us next year.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 27 January 2013 - 03:16 AM.

zackass.png

#25 Maninthebox

Maninthebox

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:18 AM

I'd actually like to see Kassian on the second line with Kesler and Booth when they return. He's doing O.K. with the Sedins but I feel like people are overstating his play thus far, and putting too much emphasis on him protecting the twins. He's obviously still trying to find their rhythm and so are the Sedins, so this isn't a knock against Kass. I'd simply like to see him play a few games creating space and being a bit of a playmaker for Kesler and Booth, then crashing the net for rebounds. Kesler and Booth have skill on the rush and can work the boards but once they're in the offensive zone they lack a bit of set-up skills that Kassian could provide. We all know Burrows can play with the twins at any time.

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Booth Kesler Kassian
Raymond Schroeder Hansen (edit: oops)
Higgins Lappy/Malhotra Volpatti/Weise

Kesler's line would play shutdown as well as provide dynamic offensive options, freeing the 3rd line for easier minutes and more of an offensive role. I also agree that Higgins seems to be the odd man out in a sense, though I'd have no issue putting him with Manny and Lappy. I'd rather see Schroeder stay up and rotate Volpatti/Weise into the lineup as/if needed. Lots of good options for the bottom six.

I would not want to see Schroeder on Kesler's wing; and he's got something going with Raymond who has been playing very well despite the CDC venom.

It'd be worth a look, anyway. Although I have no problem seeing Burrows play with Kesler again, he won't fix the limitations we've seen from the second line last year. Kassian adds another element that he does not provide the twins.

Edited by Maninthebox, 27 January 2013 - 03:19 AM.

#26 Burr's bandwagon

Burr's bandwagon

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:22 AM

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Booth - Kesler - Burrows

this... except..

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Booth - Kesler - Burrows
Higgins - Gaunce - Jensen
Volpatti - Lapierre - Hansen

Pinnizotto - Schroeder - Weise are reserves.
webkit-fake-url://E0525C6D-59C8-4266-8890-6962F34EFBA6/application.pdf
-The Future

#27 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,486 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:29 AM

this... except..

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Booth - Kesler - Burrows
Higgins - Gaunce - Jensen
Volpatti - Lapierre - Hansen

Pinnizotto - Schroeder - Weise are reserves.

Nah lets not rush Gaunce. Let's take our time with him so he can become the best player he can be (I'm hoping for something along the lines of Brooks Laich or Ryan O'Rielly)

Schroeder has worked hard, been patient earned his shot and has played very well thus-far, next year he will only be better. He deserves that full time role before Gaunce, plus it is better for the development of both players.

zackass.png

#28 hockeywoot

hockeywoot

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:49 AM

My prediction for next year:

Out:-Luongo
-Ballard
-one or both of Raymond/Higgins
-one or both of Malholtra/Lapierre

In: +Lack/Vet backup
+Return from Luongo
+Bottom Pair d-man
+Jensen*

Sedin Sedin Jensen*
Booth Kesler Kassian
Raymond Schroeder Burrows
Weise Lapierre Hansen

Hamhuis Bieksa
Edler Tanev (IMO, Tanev will get a strong look in the top-4 this year)
Garrison ----

Schneider
Lack

**I could see Raymond/Schroeder going the other way in a Luongo package for a young C upgrade

Edited by hockeywoot, 27 January 2013 - 03:52 AM.

#29 Teen Icarus

Teen Icarus

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:07 AM

This year (assuming we get fully healthy):

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Booth/Raymond-Kesler-Burrows
Higgins-Lappy-Hansen
Booth/Raymond-Manny-Wiese

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Edler-Garrison
Ballard-Tanev

Schnieder
Luongo

Next year:

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Booth-Kesler-Burrows
[somebody*]-Schroeder-Hansen
Volpatti-Lappy-Weise

*hopefully higgins, could also be raymond, or a FA/traded player

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Edler-Tanev
Garrison-[somebody]

Schnieder
[somebody]

I highly doubt AV will assimilate any more than one or two young players each year...

Edited by Teen Icarus, 27 January 2013 - 11:08 AM.

Spoiler

#30 surtur

surtur

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,801 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:36 AM

i think if Kass keeps it up he will stick with the twins , smartest thing to do with our 2nd line is put someone like burrows on it with Boothy and Kesler not liking to pass, Bur will hold them accountable, plus it would be a very fast, gritty, defensively responsible scoring threat. who can play against top lines.

Release The KraKassian
Kassianthe_Krakensm.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.