The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Injection of Youth

logic

I wanna see how Raymond plays the rest of they year and how Booth does coming back from injury.

The Canucks are gonna have to shed salary to get under the cap for next year. One way to do that is to inject the team with younger cheaper players.

I think Jensen is ready to make the jump but I still think Corrado needs a couple of years in the minors to adjust to the pro game before he challenges for a spot on the Canucks d.

Kassian will be the only one to stick this year.

Even then,I believe it will end up being a supporting role and not first line.

Once Kes and Booth return and Luongo brings in a right winger Kassian takes third line duties.

He could keep this pace up but I am betting Burr takes his rightful spot down the stretch.

Connauton is a defensive nightmare(-27 over three years) and Jensen is a few years away,Gaunce is further and will make the team when Corrado does.

Gillis goes with veterans and it has worked for the most part.

Schroeder and Kass have reached the stage where they can play supporting roles and that is how the org has dealt with all their rookies.

Once Kes and Booth return and Luongo brings in a right winger Kassian takes third line duties.

He could keep this pace up but I am betting Burr takes his rightful spot down the stretch.

Connauton is a defensive nightmare(-27 over three years) and Jensen is a few years away,Gaunce is further and will make the team when Corrado does.

Schroeder and Kass have reached the stage where they can play supporting roles and that is how the org has dealt with all their rookies.

I'd actually like to see Kassian on the second line with Kesler and Booth when they return. He's doing O.K. with the Sedins but I feel like people are overstating his play thus far, and putting too much emphasis on him protecting the twins. He's obviously still trying to find their rhythm and so are the Sedins, so this isn't a knock against Kass. I'd simply like to see him play a few games creating space and being a bit of a playmaker for Kesler and Booth, then crashing the net for rebounds. Kesler and Booth have skill on the rush and can work the boards but once they're in the offensive zone they lack a bit of set-up skills that Kassian could provide. We all know Burrows can play with the twins at any time.

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Booth Kesler Kassian

Raymond Schroeder Hansen (edit: oops)

Higgins Lappy/Malhotra Volpatti/Weise

Kesler's line would play shutdown as well as provide dynamic offensive options, freeing the 3rd line for easier minutes and more of an offensive role. I also agree that Higgins seems to be the odd man out in a sense, though I'd have no issue putting him with Manny and Lappy. I'd rather see Schroeder stay up and rotate Volpatti/Weise into the lineup as/if needed. Lots of good options for the bottom six.

I would not want to see Schroeder on Kesler's wing; and he's got something going with Raymond who has been playing very well despite the CDC venom.

It'd be worth a look, anyway. Although I have no problem seeing Burrows play with Kesler again, he won't fix the limitations we've seen from the second line last year. Kassian adds another element that he does not provide the twins.

My prediction for next year:

Out:-Luongo

-Ballard

-one or both of Raymond/Higgins

-one or both of Malholtra/Lapierre

In: +Lack/Vet backup

+Return from Luongo

+Bottom Pair d-man

+Jensen*

Sedin Sedin Jensen*

Booth Kesler Kassian

Raymond Schroeder Burrows

Weise Lapierre Hansen

Hamhuis Bieksa

Edler Tanev (IMO, Tanev will get a strong look in the top-4 this year)

Garrison ----

Schneider

Lack

**I could see Raymond/Schroeder going the other way in a Luongo package for a young C upgrade

This year (assuming we get fully healthy):

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Booth/Raymond-Kesler-Burrows

Higgins-Lappy-Hansen

Booth/Raymond-Manny-Wiese

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Edler-Garrison

Ballard-Tanev

Schnieder

Luongo

Next year:

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Booth-Kesler-Burrows

[somebody*]-Schroeder-Hansen

Volpatti-Lappy-Weise

*hopefully higgins, could also be raymond, or a FA/traded player

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Edler-Tanev

Garrison-[somebody]

Schnieder

[somebody]

I highly doubt AV will assimilate any more than one or two young players each year...

I completely forgot Weise was so young, last season was his rookie year. He put up solid numbers in the AHL too, I think he could turn out to be more than a fourth line banger. I could see him making a career as a 10-15 goal physical third line winger. He's looking like a real good waiver pick up right now.

I completely forgot Weise was so young, last season was his rookie year. He put up solid numbers in the AHL too, I think he could turn out to be more than a fourth line banger. I could see him making a career as a 10-15 goal physical third line winger. He's looking like a real good waiver pick up right now.

Archived