#1 Fozzy

Fozzy

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:24 AM

Hi,

So it's that time of year again where i do my annual pilgrimage from UK to Vancouver to watch the Canucks but this time i want to do it a bit differently so i'm asking for your advice on this.

I am planning on watching the Canucks vs Avelanche on the 28th March. My trip would start with a flight to Calgary on the 20th and for a few days explore Banff, Lake Louise etc. However i am then thinking of going to Jasper-------------> Clearwater-------------->Whistler before getting into Vancouver. I am thinking of stopping for a night in each of the above places for a night and maybe for two in Whistler to do a bit of ski-ing.

Is it safe at that time of year to do the Jasper--------Whistler journey ?

Thanks.

#2 nucklehead

nucklehead

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,355 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:29 AM

If you're taking that route you should stop at Sun Peaks. The only concern I'd have is travelling Highway 99 to Whistler as it can be treacherous. I'd take the Coqihalla [route 5] to be safer.
biggerabacus_zps5cae10b6.jpg

#3 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:05 AM

All depends on the weather. If you have good weather you will be fine. Bad weather just take it easy.
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#4 gurn

gurn

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:24 AM

Carry chains and use snow tires. Also pack a cell phone, a small candle and blankets,and a bit of food in case of a breakdown.
Cub scout motto BE Prepared.
You should be just fine

#5 drummerboy

drummerboy

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:09 AM

I grew up in that area. (golden). With good snow tires you should be fine. They do a half decent keeping the roads clean. I highly suggest taking a day to ride Kicking Horse Resort in Golden. I'd take it over any of those hills you mentioned, but i would prob skip lake Louis hill for KHMR. Louis is icy, packed and just weak compared to the big mountian experience up on the horse.

#6 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,380 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:18 AM

I live much further north in Dawson Creek, BC. We are in the northern Rocky Mountain foothills at about 2200 feet. Up here, and on Highway 1, The Coquihala, 99, the Hope-Priceton, a squall could blow in at any time of year. March is touch and go, but, you should be good. Preparation is key... Winter tires, cell, food and water, blankets... be safer than sorry.

Enjoy yourself, dude!

webkit-fake-url://D8829558-F65F-49B9-9829-A7DFC7F2E6E4/application.pdf

:towel: :canucks:

#7 bolt

bolt

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:58 AM

You could take the train from Jasper-Kamloops then continue by train from Kamloops to Vancouver. Or get off Kamloops and head up to Sun Peaks for a couple days via shuttle and bus to Vancouver when time dictates.

#8 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:21 AM

Hi,

So it's that time of year again where i do my annual pilgrimage from UK to Vancouver to watch the Canucks but this time i want to do it a bit differently so i'm asking for your advice on this.

I am planning on watching the Canucks vs Avelanche on the 28th March. My trip would start with a flight to Calgary on the 20th and for a few days explore Banff, Lake Louise etc. However i am then thinking of going to Jasper-------------> Clearwater-------------->Whistler before getting into Vancouver. I am thinking of stopping for a night in each of the above places for a night and maybe for two in Whistler to do a bit of ski-ing.

Is it safe at that time of year to do the Jasper--------Whistler journey ?

Thanks.

You should use snow tires or carry chains but if you are renting a vehicle that can be a problem as few rental vehicles are equipped with snow tires and do not come with chains here in BC.

I am not sure what the situation is in Alberta.
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#9 G-52

G-52

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:53 AM

I would hardly call the Coqihalla a safe road, they have an entire show dedicated to the accidents and towing of vehicles for that road alone. Also its quite a ways off from where he wants to go. March there is rarely snow here, you should be fine. You may find a day is more than enough at each of your desired destinations.

Posted Image

#10 gaydar

gaydar

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:07 PM

You should use snow tires or carry chains but if you are renting a vehicle that can be a problem as few rental vehicles are equipped with snow tires and do not come with chains here in BC.

Many rental companies offer cars with snow tires here in BC.

#11 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,533 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:17 PM

That was my thought as well, with many rentals not coming equipped for proper winter driving. If you have contact with the rental agency ahead of time, you can ask about what they do have on their cars and specifically request it if available. Beyond that, it depends on the weather but would likely be ok.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#12 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:20 PM

Many rental companies offer cars with snow tires here in BC.

That must be something recent because there was a report by one of the TV news investigation shows awhile back raising this issue.
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#13 Fozzy

Fozzy

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:26 AM

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the great advice. Looking forward to the trip so much.

#14 Bitter Melon

Bitter Melon

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:14 AM

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the great advice. Looking forward to the trip so much.

Enjoy it.

It's an absolutely gorgeous drive. I know I'm biased but I really do think BC is the most beautiful place on Earth

Edited by CAPSLOCK, 02 February 2013 - 03:14 AM.

"Suck it Phaneuf" -Scott Hartnell
The poster formerly known as "CAPSLOCK"
Posted Image

#15 Lockhart

Lockhart

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:24 AM

Carry chains and use snow tires. Also pack a cell phone, a small candle and blankets,and a bit of food in case of a breakdown.
Cub scout motto BE Prepared.
You should be just fine

Ya... Don't forget to "pack a cell phone" lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.