The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Driving in the Rockies Late March

Fozzy

Hi,

So it's that time of year again where i do my annual pilgrimage from UK to Vancouver to watch the Canucks but this time i want to do it a bit differently so i'm asking for your advice on this.

I am planning on watching the Canucks vs Avelanche on the 28th March. My trip would start with a flight to Calgary on the 20th and for a few days explore Banff, Lake Louise etc. However i am then thinking of going to Jasper-------------> Clearwater-------------->Whistler before getting into Vancouver. I am thinking of stopping for a night in each of the above places for a night and maybe for two in Whistler to do a bit of ski-ing.

Is it safe at that time of year to do the Jasper--------Whistler journey ?

Thanks.

I grew up in that area. (golden). With good snow tires you should be fine. They do a half decent keeping the roads clean. I highly suggest taking a day to ride Kicking Horse Resort in Golden. I'd take it over any of those hills you mentioned, but i would prob skip lake Louis hill for KHMR. Louis is icy, packed and just weak compared to the big mountian experience up on the horse.

I live much further north in Dawson Creek, BC. We are in the northern Rocky Mountain foothills at about 2200 feet. Up here, and on Highway 1, The Coquihala, 99, the Hope-Priceton, a squall could blow in at any time of year. March is touch and go, but, you should be good. Preparation is key... Winter tires, cell, food and water, blankets... be safer than sorry.

Enjoy yourself, dude!

Hi,

So it's that time of year again where i do my annual pilgrimage from UK to Vancouver to watch the Canucks but this time i want to do it a bit differently so i'm asking for your advice on this.

I am planning on watching the Canucks vs Avelanche on the 28th March. My trip would start with a flight to Calgary on the 20th and for a few days explore Banff, Lake Louise etc. However i am then thinking of going to Jasper-------------> Clearwater-------------->Whistler before getting into Vancouver. I am thinking of stopping for a night in each of the above places for a night and maybe for two in Whistler to do a bit of ski-ing.

Is it safe at that time of year to do the Jasper--------Whistler journey ?

Thanks.

I would hardly call the Coqihalla a safe road, they have an entire show dedicated to the accidents and towing of vehicles for that road alone. Also its quite a ways off from where he wants to go. March there is rarely snow here, you should be fine. You may find a day is more than enough at each of your desired destinations.

You should use snow tires or carry chains but if you are renting a vehicle that can be a problem as few rental vehicles are equipped with snow tires and do not come with chains here in BC.

I am not sure what the situation is in Alberta.

Archived