The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Optimistic thoughts on the Canucks.....

nuck luck

Obviously the outcomes might not pan out as I wanted, but if it does.... :towel:

I won't deny that the Ducks game has effected my mood and thoughts on the Canucks... but I see so many positives with team:

- I love that we finally get to see some injection of youth on the team... I think our team needs to have a couple young guys who show emotion, this will trickle down to everyone. I'm definitely showing more emotion watching them :)

- Kass: It's all been said, but what I really like are the intangibles he brings to the team... I noticed the Sedins being a little more aggressive, but the whole team in general seems to be the same. Having a guy like Kass brings confidence / toughness to the team and makes everyone play a little more aggressive knowing Kass is there (I'm talking about players that don't usually play aggressive), maybe I should mention Volp here too. Boston is similar....a few of their old and new players play a tougher game with the B's and I think it's cause they know that Lucic, Z, etc are there...

- JS: I'm so happy for this guy! He plays with heart and puts it all out there... Before we saw him play, our main concern was the middle and if he keeps this up, MG doesn't need to focus on a replacement for Kes. I never liked the idea of a replacement player anyways... Kes will be back so we should focus on our original needs, I always figured that one of our guys can play C until his return.

- Mayray: Wow.. but I still prefer a bigger winger and when Kes/Booth return, I know we need a tougher winger (with skill) than Mayray for the 3rd or 4th lines come playoffs. Great thing is that he is increasing his trade value which could help the Lou deal!

- Ballard: Finally playing like we all expected! However, there's no way that we can keep him next season unless we get rid of one of the top 4 D.... Ballard gives us huge depth if one these guys get hurt during the playoffs. Best of all, he is also increasing his value, and the situation with Dmen in the league right now....we could get a hefty return without having to toss him in on the Lou deal or buying him out next year if we couldn't get anything in a trade.

- Tanev: Cool :) Amazing that we signed him for nothing! I have no idea what he'd be asking when his contract is up, but if it's too high.....there's a lot of teams that will pay BIG for a young Dman with his abilities! I would love to keep him, but that would mean we might have to get rid of one of our top 4. Lots of time (I hope) to see who's playing better....

- Defence: Our bottom D pairing is playing great and it's just a matter of time before the top 4 get their rhythm back (or get it for the first time)... Once all 3 lines are rolling, watch out! Come playoffs...our D will be much better rested if the top 4 aren't playing big minutes. If Edler/Garrison don't improve, I'd like to see them switch sides....or different pairings with the bottom 4 Dmen,

- Forwards: Our forward lines are playing great and as long as they keep us in playoff contention (without Booth/Kess), I'm happy! Lots of players who are fighting for spots and if someone isn't performing, we have plenty of guys that can take their place. Gives Kes and Booth plenty of time to be 100% healthy and when they get back, they should be hungrier than ever after being sidelined for so long. I'm not sure which I'm more excited to see??? How the forward lines will play when Booth/Kes return or what we get in the Lou trade?

- Depth: I've read a lot of line up suggestions and a lot of them seem to have one common denominator - overlooking one of our key players like Burr, Hansen or Higgy. Once Booth/Kes return, our forward depth might be the best I've seen in the last few years (Every year I get amazed at our forward lines but this year we have that potential big top 6 winger). Defence, I think it's pretty good and we would be able to handle injuries to two of our top 4 Dmen....better than most teams could.

- Wolves & others: I can't wait to see Jensen, Corrado, Gaunce, Pini, McNally, Mallet & Conn play for the Nucks! I doubt we would get to see them called up this year....except for Pini. However, next year... a few of these guys might be able to make the line up :) If Jensen, Gaunce and Mallet are able.... and I think all 3 would be in the top 3 lines if they made it, we have lots of trade pieces for picks and prospects so that we could handle the lower cap. AND, I would love for AV to give Archie another try :) I wonder if that would be enough to keep both Lou and Schneids? But, Lou doesn't deserve to be a backup.... :(

- Lou: What a team player! I like having this tandem between the pipes and our goalies won't go through the rigorous wear & tear that other goalies will be forced to handle in a shortened season. I hate to see him go, but if he's gotta go... there is no point in settling for mediocre returns - he's a #1 goalie on most other teams!

- Schneids: I thought Tanev was cool, but Schneids is Ice. He plays for a team with a 'crazy' fanbase, he played in huge statement games and he played in the playoffs and Stanley Cup Finals..... Now he has to handle the pressures of playing the #1 role for the first time! His first game he got embarrassed by the Ducks... and he redeemed himself courageously against them right afterwards. Lot's of pressure in that game for him.... 2 packs a day, I"m sure of it!

- AV: I'm still wavering on AV....but I will say that I am happily surprised that he seems to have changed his ways or at least less stubborn. Even though they deserved it, it's nice to see AV play the young guys in key situations this year. Hopefully, he will learn to put a little more trust in the rest of our prospects

- GMMG: I trust in MG and think he's a better negotiator than most of us here on CDC. So I think he'll get us the max value for a trade involving Lou... I prefer a GM who has the patience to make the right decision. If the offers are inadequate now than he might be right to wait until the deadline or summer to make a move....I'm sure he'll still have the same inadequate offers later. Why rush things? If Kass and Schroeds prove that they deserve a spot on the team....our needs regarding trades change drastically.

- Future: If Kass and JS play consistently throughout the year, I think that a lot of the trades we make this year and the summer will involve picks and prospects. This summer in particular would be a good time to load up on draft picks cause the pool is overflowing with good players...But extra picks in any year are always good. If Ballard and Mayray keep this up, if 1 - 3 of the prospects mentioned above make the lineup and Lou gets traded....our future is looking pretty good :)

So many of the positives above are related to the Canucks having that missing top 6 player we always wanted... if Kass is the 'one', this will be one of the best moves by MG in my books.

San Jose is playing great and I hope CDC doesn't "blow up" if we lose.... We're missing 2/3's of our second line and the rest of the team is still trying to get up to speed. I'm just hoping to see improvement in areas and I'm happy....

:towel:

I know hey, how was that game sloppy far from it they played like they should have the powerplay clicked and they made them pay lets hope the sharks are in the box all night tonight. I dont care how you get a goal a goal is a goal. Making a team pay for stupid undiciplined penalties is ok with me. GO CANUCKS GO.

most people that think that anahiem game was a good one dosent watch anyother hockey besides canucks... win or lose canuck games are terribly slow paced and just boring.. refs were heavily in favor of the nucks last game and turned the game in their favor after they were being dominated 5-on-5 even our PP is superslow at moving the puck almost any other hockey game on any given night is far better for entertainment. sure a win is a win and most canuck fans say who cares how we win.. that just means your so hard up to see a win youll take it anyway you can get it wich shouldnt be the case with back to back pres cup winners youd think they would be the most exciting team on ice but they are far from it. when playoffs come and canucks once again cant play their game becasue they need to speed up their tempo we will collapse again . can hope the refs hand us the game every night.

@ chrisbanks Presidents cup does not = exciting hockey. Did you watch any NewJersey games back when they were winning cups, that was almost painful to watch but it was effective. Yes, there 5 on 5 has to pick up, and should when they Kes back but think overall they have done alright filling in the gaps.

The Canucks have clearly gotten better with every game they have played. However San Jose is the toughest team we've faced so far, the only playoff team from last season yet. We will see if the trend continues; Friday is tough to top but again, San Jose is a tougher opponent so degree of difficulty is higher. I still consider these games glorified pre-season. Players need to get synched up with each other and play themselves into game shape and get in rhythm. Coaches haven't had time to get everyone on board with the systems. Everyone is still working out the kinks. By mid-February we should have a better idea what this season is gonna look like.

most people that think that anahiem game was a good one dosent watch anyother hockey besides canucks... win or lose canuck games are terribly slow paced and just boring.. refs were heavily in favor of the nucks last game and turned the game in their favor after they were being dominated 5-on-5 even our PP is superslow at moving the puck almost any other hockey game on any given night is far better for entertainment. sure a win is a win and most canuck fans say who cares how we win.. that just means your so hard up to see a win youll take it anyway you can get it wich shouldnt be the case with back to back pres cup winners youd think they would be the most exciting team on ice but they are far from it. when playoffs come and canucks once again cant play their game becasue they need to speed up their tempo we will collapse again . can hope the refs hand us the game every night.

The Canucks have clearly gotten better with every game they have played. However San Jose is the toughest team we've faced so far, the only playoff team from last season yet. We will see if the trend continues; Friday is tough to top but again, San Jose is a tougher opponent so degree of difficulty is higher. I still consider these games glorified pre-season. Players need to get synched up with each other and play themselves into game shape and get in rhythm. Coaches haven't had time to get everyone on board with the systems. Everyone is still working out the kinks. By mid-February we should have a better idea what this season is gonna look like.

Archived