The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Optimistic thoughts on the Canucks.....

nuck luck

Positives:

- Ballard and Tanev playing great, easily our best pair

- Schroeder showing he belongs, would like to see him with better linemates though, and getting more PP time when our PP is terrible like it was tonight.

- Goaltending has been great, we have only seen Lu once and he was pretty good, and aside from the 1st game Schneider has been outstanding.

- Mike Gillis: Not panicing, which is what I like, waiting for the correct offer to come along, can't hold out forever obviously but I like how he is handling it at the moment.

- Jannik Hansen, Aaron Volpatti, and Dale Weise all playing great. Hansen had his best game tonight, I thought he was very good, the others have been playing very well and very consistent all along.

- Zack Kassian has shown everything MG said he had in last year's end of season presser, really bringing what the optimists knew he had, and proving the hater wrong, play dipped a bit tonight but he was still better than alot of guys, and everyone was pretty much unimpressive, overall hopefully he can continue this.

- Mason Raymond showning signs of 09/10 Raymond, is playing alot better, is useing his speed and skating ability much more effectively, aswell he isn't shooting at the goalies chest, love the chemistry with Schroeder, gotta hold onto this guy he has been one of our best.

Negatives:

- AV: Not impressed, powerplay for the most part has been utterly unimpressive, fails to make changes and tweaks, continues to play Bieksa, Edler, Garrison, exc. The most when they aren't playing well at all. Motivation and mental preparation continues to be an issue. And no these are not just my opinions after the first 5 games, I have been banging this drum regarding AV for a long time.

- Bieksa & Hamhuis: Bieksa more specifically has been terrible, looking more like 09/10 Bieksa than 10/11 Bieksa. but Hamhuis has his share of blunders aswell. Both need to step up more.

- Edler & Garrison: Both have been better than KB3 and DH2 but still, they have had there good moments and terrible moments, still they need to play a bit better and a bit more consistent.

- Higgins has been near invisible, hasn't been terrible, but hasn't been very good, doesn't seem to be doing all that much out there, again not terrible play on his part, no real errors but I would like to see him make a bigger impact on the games as he can be a very huge part of this team when he is making an impact.

- Ebbett: No clue why AV played him over Manny tonight, (another questionable AV decision) it was an utter failure of a move, he is a good depth player but nothing more, did nothing with the 2nd line spot and hasn't been impressive on the 4th either, should waive him and sign Tambellini IMO.

- Lapierre: Isn't completely bringing the physical/agitating presence he is known for, I am happy he has cut back on his talking but he needs to be more discipline, has taken some bad penalties. Needs to get back to his game. Has had some decent moments but needs to get his Mojo going and get back to what makes him at his best.

- Special teams: Powerplay has been unimpressive for the most part, we have gotten some goals but there has been way too many missed opportunities, and PK has been okay, but it could still improve.

My Changes:

Line-up for next game:

Daniel - Henrik - Kassian

Raymond - Schroeder - Burrows

Higgins - Lappierre - Hansen

Volpatti - Malhotra - Weise

Ballard - Tanev

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Garrison - Edler

Luongo

- Ballard and Tanev have been our best pair, I would give them the bulk of the 5 on 5 minutes, or atleast balance it evenly.

- Burrows experiment is over, he needs to be in a position to shoot not be the anchor man, also giving Schroeder another player who can finish would improve the overall effectiveness of the line and our top 6.

- Regular 3rd line, hopefully it jump starts Higgy and Lappy,

- Then the Weise experiment is over, has been great but he is most effective on the 4th in that physical role rather than a more offensive role like he was on that line with Raymond and Schroeder.

- Give Schneids a rest and get Lu back in there.

1st PP:

Schroeder - Garrison

- Schroeder played the point in Chicago so he has experience.

- He would also help on the break-in/breakout as he has the speed an elusiveness to gain the zone on his own, and has the speed and strength to recover defensively.

- Has a great wrister so if we can get him open in the high slot he can finish, also would set up Garrison better than Edler has.

2nd PP:

Raymond - Burrows - Hansen

Ballard - Edler

- Ballards speed could really help on the breakout, also has the hockey IQ to contribute to the plays and join the rush. Would also leave Hamhuis - Bieksa as the fresh pair for the 5 on 5 play after the PP.

- Hansen is the net presence and is the guy who does the grunt work in the corners and retrieves the puck, Burrows and Raymond are the skill guys.

Sorry for making it so long, really wanted to break down where I stand at the moment.

Thoughts? Agree? disagree?

- Lapierre: Isn't bringing the physical presence he is known for, I am happy he has cut back on his talking but he needs to be more discipline, has taken some bad penalties. Needs to get back to his game.

Positives:

- Ballard and Tanev playing great, easily our best pair

- Schroeder showing he belongs, would like to see him with better linemates though, and getting more PP time when our PP is terrible like it was tonight.

- Goaltending has been great, we have only seen Lu once and he was pretty good, and aside from the 1st game Schneider has been outstanding.

- Mike Gillis: Not panicing, which is what I like, waiting for the correct offer to come along, can't hold out forever obviously but I like how he is handling it at the moment.

- Jannik Hansen, Aaron Volpatti, and Dale Weise all playing great. Hansen had his best game tonight, I thought he was very good, the others have been playing very well and very consistent all along.

- Zack Kassian has shown everything MG said he had in last year's end of season presser, really bringing what the optimists knew he had, and proving the hater wrong, play dipped a bit tonight but he was still better than alot of guys, and everyone was pretty much unimpressive, overall hopefully he can continue this.

- Mason Raymond showning signs of 09/10 Raymond, is playing alot better, is useing his speed and skating ability much more effectively, aswell he isn't shooting at the goalies chest, love the chemistry with Schroeder, gotta hold onto this guy he has been one of our best.

Negatives:

- AV: Not impressed, powerplay for the most part has been utterly unimpressive, fails to make changes and tweaks, continues to play Bieksa, Edler, Garrison, exc. The most when they aren't playing well at all. Motivation and mental preparation continues to be an issue. And no these are not just my opinions after the first 5 games, I have been banging this drum regarding AV for a long time.

- Bieksa & Hamhuis: Bieksa more specifically has been terrible, looking more like 09/10 Bieksa than 10/11 Bieksa. but Hamhuis has his share of blunders aswell. Both need to step up more.

- Edler & Garrison: Both have been better than KB3 and DH2 but still, they have had there good moments and terrible moments, still they need to play a bit better and a bit more consistent.

- Higgins has been near invisible, hasn't been terrible, but hasn't been very good, doesn't seem to be doing all that much out there, again not terrible play on his part, no real errors but I would like to see him make a bigger impact on the games as he can be a very huge part of this team when he is making an impact.

- Ebbett: No clue why AV played him over Manny tonight, (another questionable AV decision) it was an utter failure of a move, he is a good depth player but nothing more, did nothing with the 2nd line spot and hasn't been impressive on the 4th either, should waive him and sign Tambellini IMO.

- Lapierre: Isn't completely bringing the physical/agitating presence he is known for, I am happy he has cut back on his talking but he needs to be more discipline, has taken some bad penalties. Needs to get back to his game. Has had some decent moments but needs to get his Mojo going and get back to what makes him at his best.

- Special teams: Powerplay has been unimpressive for the most part, we have gotten some goals but there has been way too many missed opportunities, and PK has been okay, but it could still improve.

My Changes:

Line-up for next game:

Raymond - Schroeder - Burrows

Higgins - Lappierre - Hansen

Volpatti - Malhotra - Weise

Ballard - Tanev

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Garrison - Edler

Luongo

- Ballard and Tanev have been our best pair, I would give them the bulk of the 5 on 5 minutes, or atleast balance it evenly.

- Burrows experiment is over, he needs to be in a position to shoot not be the anchor man, also giving Schroeder another player who can finish would improve the overall effectiveness of the line and our top 6.

- Regular 3rd line, hopefully it jump starts Higgy and Lappy,

- Then the Weise experiment is over, has been great but he is most effective on the 4th in that physical role rather than a more offensive role like he was on that line with Raymond and Schroeder.

- Give Schneids a rest and get Lu back in there.

1st PP:

Schroeder - Garrison

- Schroeder played the point in Chicago so he has experience.

- He would also help on the break-in/breakout as he has the speed an elusiveness to gain the zone on his own, and has the speed and strength to recover defensively.

- Has a great wrister so if we can get him open in the high slot he can finish, also would set up Garrison better than Edler has.

2nd PP:

Raymond - Burrows - Hansen

Ballard - Edler

- Ballards speed could really help on the breakout, also has the hockey IQ to contribute to the plays and join the rush. Would also leave Hamhuis - Bieksa as the fresh pair for the 5 on 5 play after the PP.

- Hansen is the net presence and is the guy who does the grunt work in the corners and retrieves the puck, Burrows and Raymond are the skill guys.

Sorry for making it so long, really wanted to break down where I stand at the moment.

Thoughts? Agree? disagree?

I'm with you on the positives... the negatives:

AV - I'm hoping that the past, especially last year, has taught him something and he'll start to change things up. But, I am on the fence with AV....I would only want to trade him if there is someone better out there.

Bieksa & Hamuis - There's no way the previous seasons were a fluke.... they need to definitely step it up, but I'm sure they will.

Edler & Garrison - I just don't like seeing Edler on the right side....Garrison has played both so why not try him there? If not, maybe pair Edler/Tanev and Garrison/Ballard. Someone on CDC wrote that Garrison and Ballard played together in Florida... worth a look.

Higgins - Definitely not the same impact as previous years? Hopefully, it's just a case of getting his rhythm and speed back... I think it's just a matter of time before he's back to par. I'm really hoping to see the Amex line again :)

Ebbett - Agreed.

Lapierre - He's been ok...definitely not the same. I sure would like to see him utilize the extra 15+ pounds of muscle he put on over the summer.

Special Teams - I'm not too worried about it now. We had some good chances and just didn't capitalize... but our special teams will get better with the return of Kes. Adjustments could definitely be made though....

Lines - I like the forward lines. I'd like to give JS 2 options to pass instead of the one... and this will be a tough line to contain, fast!

The defence could be moved around a bit... Ballard and Tanev have been the best pairing so maybe we can try them against tougher opponents, but I would still like to try Garrison on the right.

Maybe try Ballard and Garrison for the first PP? See how that works...

Obviously the outcomes might not pan out as I wanted, but if it does.... :towel:

I won't deny that the Ducks game has effected my mood and thoughts on the Canucks... but I see so many positives with team:

- I love that we finally get to see some injection of youth on the team... I think our team needs to have a couple young guys who show emotion, this will trickle down to everyone. I'm definitely showing more emotion watching them :)

- Kass: It's all been said, but what I really like are the intangibles he brings to the team... I noticed the Sedins being a little more aggressive, but the whole team in general seems to be the same. Having a guy like Kass brings confidence / toughness to the team and makes everyone play a little more aggressive knowing Kass is there (I'm talking about players that don't usually play aggressive), maybe I should mention Volp here too. Boston is similar....a few of their old and new players play a tougher game with the B's and I think it's cause they know that Lucic, Z, etc are there...

- JS: I'm so happy for this guy! He plays with heart and puts it all out there... Before we saw him play, our main concern was the middle and if he keeps this up, MG doesn't need to focus on a replacement for Kes. I never liked the idea of a replacement player anyways... Kes will be back so we should focus on our original needs, I always figured that one of our guys can play C until his return.

- Mayray: Wow.. but I still prefer a bigger winger and when Kes/Booth return, I know we need a tougher winger (with skill) than Mayray for the 3rd or 4th lines come playoffs. Great thing is that he is increasing his trade value which could help the Lou deal!

- Ballard: Finally playing like we all expected! However, there's no way that we can keep him next season unless we get rid of one of the top 4 D.... Ballard gives us huge depth if one these guys get hurt during the playoffs. Best of all, he is also increasing his value, and the situation with Dmen in the league right now....we could get a hefty return without having to toss him in on the Lou deal or buying him out next year if we couldn't get anything in a trade.

- Tanev: Cool :) Amazing that we signed him for nothing! I have no idea what he'd be asking when his contract is up, but if it's too high.....there's a lot of teams that will pay BIG for a young Dman with his abilities! I would love to keep him, but that would mean we might have to get rid of one of our top 4. Lots of time (I hope) to see who's playing better....

- Defence: Our bottom D pairing is playing great and it's just a matter of time before the top 4 get their rhythm back (or get it for the first time)... Once all 3 lines are rolling, watch out! Come playoffs...our D will be much better rested if the top 4 aren't playing big minutes. If Edler/Garrison don't improve, I'd like to see them switch sides....or different pairings with the bottom 4 Dmen,

- Forwards: Our forward lines are playing great and as long as they keep us in playoff contention (without Booth/Kess), I'm happy! Lots of players who are fighting for spots and if someone isn't performing, we have plenty of guys that can take their place. Gives Kes and Booth plenty of time to be 100% healthy and when they get back, they should be hungrier than ever after being sidelined for so long. I'm not sure which I'm more excited to see??? How the forward lines will play when Booth/Kes return or what we get in the Lou trade?

- Depth: I've read a lot of line up suggestions and a lot of them seem to have one common denominator - overlooking one of our key players like Burr, Hansen or Higgy. Once Booth/Kes return, our forward depth might be the best I've seen in the last few years (Every year I get amazed at our forward lines but this year we have that potential big top 6 winger). Defence, I think it's pretty good and we would be able to handle injuries to two of our top 4 Dmen....better than most teams could.

- Wolves & others: I can't wait to see Jensen, Corrado, Gaunce, Pini, McNally, Mallet & Conn play for the Nucks! I doubt we would get to see them called up this year....except for Pini. However, next year... a few of these guys might be able to make the line up :) If Jensen, Gaunce and Mallet are able.... and I think all 3 would be in the top 3 lines if they made it, we have lots of trade pieces for picks and prospects so that we could handle the lower cap. AND, I would love for AV to give Archie another try :) I wonder if that would be enough to keep both Lou and Schneids? But, Lou doesn't deserve to be a backup.... :(

- Lou: What a team player! I like having this tandem between the pipes and our goalies won't go through the rigorous wear & tear that other goalies will be forced to handle in a shortened season. I hate to see him go, but if he's gotta go... there is no point in settling for mediocre returns - he's a #1 goalie on most other teams!

- Schneids: I thought Tanev was cool, but Schneids is Ice. He plays for a team with a 'crazy' fanbase, he played in huge statement games and he played in the playoffs and Stanley Cup Finals..... Now he has to handle the pressures of playing the #1 role for the first time! His first game he got embarrassed by the Ducks... and he redeemed himself courageously against them right afterwards. Lot's of pressure in that game for him.... 2 packs a day, I"m sure of it!

- AV: I'm still wavering on AV....but I will say that I am happily surprised that he seems to have changed his ways or at least less stubborn. Even though they deserved it, it's nice to see AV play the young guys in key situations this year. Hopefully, he will learn to put a little more trust in the rest of our prospects

- GMMG: I trust in MG and think he's a better negotiator than most of us here on CDC. So I think he'll get us the max value for a trade involving Lou... I prefer a GM who has the patience to make the right decision. If the offers are inadequate now than he might be right to wait until the deadline or summer to make a move....I'm sure he'll still have the same inadequate offers later. Why rush things? If Kass and Schroeds prove that they deserve a spot on the team....our needs regarding trades change drastically.

- Future: If Kass and JS play consistently throughout the year, I think that a lot of the trades we make this year and the summer will involve picks and prospects. This summer in particular would be a good time to load up on draft picks cause the pool is overflowing with good players...But extra picks in any year are always good. If Ballard and Mayray keep this up, if 1 - 3 of the prospects mentioned above make the lineup and Lou gets traded....our future is looking pretty good :)

So many of the positives above are related to the Canucks having that missing top 6 player we always wanted... if Kass is the 'one', this will be one of the best moves by MG in my books.

San Jose is playing great and I hope CDC doesn't "blow up" if we lose.... We're missing 2/3's of our second line and the rest of the team is still trying to get up to speed. I'm just hoping to see improvement in areas and I'm happy....

:towel:

AV doesn't make adjustments. He makes excuses. Did anyone see his quote after last nights game?

"Power play wasn't as good," Canucks coach Alain Vigneault said. "We were unable to score. A couple of unforced errors that ended up right on their tape and in the back of the net. What's important is how we responded, and I thought we responded very well."

Responded well? Responding well would have been bouncing back and making a game of it, which they didn't do. When is he going to rip his players a new one for a simple lack of effort? When is he going to make some of the obviously necessary line and roster adjustments?

AV doesn't make adjustments. He makes excuses. Did anyone see his quote after last nights game?

"Power play wasn't as good," Canucks coach Alain Vigneault said. "We were unable to score. A couple of unforced errors that ended up right on their tape and in the back of the net. What's important is how we responded, and I thought we responded very well."

Responded well? Responding well would have been bouncing back and making a game of it, which they didn't do. When is he going to rip his players a new one for a simple lack of effort? When is he going to make some of the obviously necessary line and roster adjustments?

Archived