169 replies to this topic

#1 Everybody Hates Raymond

Everybody Hates Raymond

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,608 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:42 AM

There is talk C Stephen Weiss, a UFA on July 1, will be gone before the deadline because the Panthers don't have the cash to sign him ...

http://www.ottawasun...fter-slow-start - First paragraph of "this 'n' that".

I think this pretty much kills any chance of Luongo landing there if they can't afford Stephen Weiss.

#2 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,392 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:48 AM

POPULAR

Maybe the reason they can't afford him is because they will be getting an expensive goalie sometime soon
Sig too big.
"Being a Canuck fan, maybe sometime down the road be a Vancouver Canuck.... that would conquer all my dreams"
-Milan Lucic

#3 Bombastik der Teutone

Bombastik der Teutone

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,492 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:49 AM

this would be pretty sad if its true..but hey..they can pay campbell ..so why not weiss?

all over $5,0m would be to much imo

179zig.jpg

Credits to Discord for the Signature

iqbl75.jpgCDCGML St.Louis Blues Rosteriqbl75.jpg

#4 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,751 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:49 AM

Please MG no, just no......you have gone to the high priced Florida yard sale a couple of times now and for whatever reason those guys just don't seem to bring their same game here. Ballard, Booth, Garrison, etc.

#5 Everybody Hates Raymond

Everybody Hates Raymond

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,608 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:52 AM

this would be pretty sad if its true..but hey..they can pay campbell ..so why not weiss?

They can pay one player his salary but another would push them over what they can, that's why they can pay Campbell but apparently not Weiss

Please MG no, just no......you have gone to the high priced Florida yard sale a couple of times now and for whatever reason those guys just don't seem to bring their same game here. Ballard, Booth, Garrison, etc.

Wow, Garrison just keeps getting hate. It's been 4 games and he's been absolutely solid defensively. Goals =/= good d-man, although he should pick that part of his game up soon, too

#6 Dayman

Dayman

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:55 AM

Garrison looks fine :picard:

Booth also hasn't played yet this season, and he could get more comfortable as time goes on.

#7 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,716 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:59 AM

They had no problem spending cash last season. Likely, Weiss is going to make room for Huberdeau.
Posted Image

#8 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,751 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:07 PM

Booth also hasn't played yet this season, and he could get more comfortable as time goes on.

Garrison looks fine defensively but he is not being used as effectively in Van as he was last year in Florida. No one is setting him up for one timers the way Campbell did on the PP.......He does not look like a 16 goal scorer right now at all. I didn't say those guys play like crap, I said they don't bring the same game to Vancouver when they end up here, which unfortunately in all 3 of those cases is true so far.

As for Booth, he has not played up to expectations at all and looks pretty average with Kesler.

Of course we all hope that will change but my point wasn't about what we hope for......

Edited by wallstreetamigo, 27 January 2013 - 12:15 PM.

#9 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,461 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:10 PM

That link also speculates that the Panthers could be for sale again.
I don't know if that eliminates the possibility of Luongo deal - he could help sell tickets.

But with Philly and Washington on the hotseat, things are looking good for MG.

Garrison leads the Canucks right now with a +3.

I have no problem with the deals the Canucks have cut with the Panthers.
Luongol, Jovanovski, Higgins, Garrison...
I think people over-state what was given up for Ballard and Booth. Those deals are nowhere near as bad as many people on CDC suggest.

Edited by oldnews, 27 January 2013 - 12:13 PM.

#10 Markus Alexander Cody

Markus Alexander Cody

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,640 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:16 PM

From the time Booth was dealt here in Vancouver, he's never had a stretch of games where he can get on a groove and produce offensively on a night to night basis. Mostly because every time he starts to get on a roll, he gets injured and he's out for a period of time. When he comes back, he has to play catch up again. And once he gets on a roll, again, he gets injured or is sidelined. That has been the story for David Booth so far in Vancouver. Once he starts getting hot, he gets injured.

Posted Image

credit to allons-y

Certainly going to be our #1 defensemen. Give him a couple more years to improve his game and he'll be our new and improved version of Matthias Ohlund in no time

Posted Image

^Truth

#11 mpt

mpt

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,559 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:24 PM

POPULAR

As for Booth, he has not played up to expectations at all and looks pretty average with Kesler.

That's what happens when you play with a centre that doesn't know how to distribute the puck. Everyone who plays with Kesler plays average.

#12 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,695 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:34 PM

Yeah, that deal made little sense for them. It's not like it's a front loaded deal where they'd actually be paying him less now despite the higher cap hit, so that's left them handcuffed a bit considering their internal salary cap. It's not even a situation where they can buy him out, since they can't afford that really.

The controlling company of the Panthers actually makes decent money though, through arena management deals and the like, so I'm just not sure why they would consider dropping Weise when he'd likely only be looking for a $2M raise and that doesn't put them in any danger regarding next year's salary cap.

If they think Weiss is asking for too much, then they might consider moving him, but he also has an NMC so there's no guarantee they can.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#13 Garrison

Garrison

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:34 PM

When Booth plays like he can he is worth close to his salary, he has the ability to take over games. To bad he keeps getting injured. Ballard has looked great this year (Better than Bieska). The Tanev-Ballard tandem is one of the best third pairing in the league. Garrison still looks uncomfortable in our system but it is easy to see how he was so good last year. I wouldn't mind getting Weiss along with a prospect for Lu. They may just not be able to pay Weiss the amount of money he wants. Maybe with a contender Weiss would re sign for less with us.

#14 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:35 PM

Weiss would be a great aquisition, but Fla would want too much for him. Don't want the Nucks to give up players/draft picks/good prospects for an UFA.

#15 Captain Aerosex

Captain Aerosex

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,154 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:39 PM

Ballard, though overpaid, has been arguably our best d-man so far. Booth scored at a 20 goal, 40 point rate for us last season (which is pretty good considering he had been traded for the first time in his life and was playing with an injured Kesler), and is yet to play this season. Garrison has been very solid defensively so far, which is what MG wanted more than anything.

As for Weiss, if the Panthers can't afford him it sure doesn't sound like a trade with a Weiss-Luongo frame is happening.

dontforgettolentil.png

#16 soshified

soshified

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,361 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:02 PM

Garrison only played 4 freaking games. My god.

Ballard is playing a lot better since 2 years ago.

Booth suffered 2 major injures. Give him a damn chance. He hasnt even played one full season with the Canucks yet.

Posted Image

#17 goblix

goblix

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:19 PM

Don't forget about Ballard, he and tanev has been our best defensive pairing the in the first 4 games.
Was also unbelievably fierce on friday against the ducks

#18 canucklehead44

canucklehead44

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,460 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:24 PM

POPULAR

Booth scored at a 23 goal pace with Vancouver. Not bad for a second line player coming to a new team in a new conference, battling two separate injuries, has teammates who don't know how to pass and limited pp time.

Put Booth with the Sedins and give him 3 minutes of pp time per game and he scores 35-40. Kesler was awful last season. He had 28 ESP in in 1,123 minutes. Booth had 22 ESP in 814 minutes. This means Kesler got an ESP for every 41 minutes of ice time, whereas Booth had one for every 37 minutes of ice time. Booth's number also includes his 1 point in 6 games with Florida, so it would likely be around 1 point in every 35 minutes with Vancouver.
Sig too big.

#19 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,050 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:25 PM

You do know Weiss has a 3.1 million dollar cap hit right? He would be an absolute bargain at that price.

And as for Florida not being able to afford him, that increases the chances of him being involved in a trade. Florida will likely want us to take cash back though. I would think in the form of Scottie Upshall.

So it would be:

Weiss
Bjugstad
Upshall
2nd

For

Luongo

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#20 Machine Gun Kelly

Machine Gun Kelly

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:40 PM

What this means is, they wont be able to afford what he's going to want as a UFA.
Posted Image

#21 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,252 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:43 PM

He's making 4m, If they cant afford him he's probably asking upwards of 5m+ .... pass.

#22 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,050 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:47 PM

He's making 4m, If they cant afford him he's probably asking upwards of 5m+ .... pass.

They won't be able to afford him because they're going to have to pay Luongo 6 million a season. That's why.

Posted Image

#23 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,751 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:07 PM

Wow, Garrison just keeps getting hate. It's been 4 games and he's been absolutely solid defensively. Goals =/= good d-man, although he should pick that part of his game up soon, too

Read my next post before trying to say I am hating on Garrison......I think he has been fine but he does not look like a 16 goal scorer right now.......this is why I said his game is DIFFERENT here, not that HE SUCKS....

Oversensitive much?

#24 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,751 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:08 PM

You do know Weiss has a 3.1 million dollar cap hit right? He would be an absolute bargain at that price.

And as for Florida not being able to afford him, that increases the chances of him being involved in a trade. Florida will likely want us to take cash back though. I would think in the form of Scottie Upshall.

So it would be:

Weiss
Bjugstad
Upshall
2nd

For

Luongo

He is also a UFA.....high price for a rental if you ask me. Unless you think he will accept 3.1 million as a UFA to stay in Van....ya, good luck with that.

Edited by wallstreetamigo, 27 January 2013 - 02:08 PM.

#25 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,252 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:09 PM

They won't be able to afford him because they're going to have to pay Luongo 6 million a season. That's why.

Yeah but, were trying to save cap space aswell, I dont want Weiss at 4-7m-5m for a 3rd line center.

MG has said he doesnt want to take cash back, Raymond, Higgins, Tanev and Lappiere all needs to be re-signed. We already have expensive players like Booth and Ballard and one of the most expensive D core in the leauge.

The heat is on them not us, Florida has been getting blown out.They're not the only option of MG aswell because WSH is off to a tough start.

And the way JS has been playing, I dont think were in dire need of a 3rd line center for now. Lets give him alot of opportunities before we pull the trigger on a 3rd line center.

If im MG im asking for this package:

Bjugstad + Petrovic

for

Luongo + Sauve/Rodin/Connaughton

Edited by Trebreh, 27 January 2013 - 02:10 PM.

#26 AnInconvenienceBrah

AnInconvenienceBrah

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:10 PM

Ahhhh Garrison? The guy has been great for us! I'm really liking Garrison on this team, why you hating brah?

#27 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,092 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:11 PM

So it would be:

Weiss
Bjugstad
Upshall
2nd

For

Luongo

Not a chance they would even consider that trade.
Take out Weiss maybe.
Posted Image

#28 AnInconvenienceBrah

AnInconvenienceBrah

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:12 PM

Weiss makes no sense for Vancouver we won't be able to fit him on the team next season with his new contract.

#29 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,050 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:15 PM

He is also a UFA.....high price for a rental if you ask me. Unless you think he will accept 3.1 million as a UFA to stay in Van....ya, good luck with that.

Who says we have to re-sign him to make it a good trade?

Bjugstad would be the centerpiece to the trade. The guys going to be a stud.

Bjugstad and a 2nd would be good enough for Luongo IMO. But if we can get something to help us now, even if it's for just this season, it's worth it. Weiss would be a throw in for us taking Upshall's horrible contract. He can be bought out later.

Posted Image

#30 Dayman

Dayman

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:16 PM

No one is setting him up for one timers the way Campbell did on the PP.......

Really? So because he isn't logging minutes on a Florida PP where he would obviously get more chances playing with their players (in comparison to ours), he isn't good enough?

Really man? Garrison provides a solid hard-working defensive cog in our system. Labeling him as an underachiever as I read from you is completely ignorant of his defensive play. Garrison has been a solid addition and expecting him to repeat a 16 goal season as if he was playing beside Campbell is ridiculous.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.