The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Panthers can't afford Weiss, looking to trade him

We would need in a trade , help now , young gun , 1st or 2nd rounder!!A throw in player if they took one like a Raymond, but I think it's florida doing what tsn thinks we are, maming it better for them by saying something to the media to get what they want.If they can't afford players move the team plane and simple!!!!

It's not a matter of the Panthers not being able to afford another contract. If that's the case, then they're in major financial trouble.

The fact is that going forward they don't want to have a guy making around 5 million per on a long-term deal who is essentially their 2nd or 3rd-line center. Huberdeau is obviously going to take over 1st line, and they have a couple other solid center prospects, one of which could very well end up a great 2nd C. Maybe a contending team that is spending to the cap has no problem spending that kind of dough on a depth player, but Florida is not one of those teams. They need to structure their team and contracts more conservatively. If they're paying a guy big money, he better be a bonafide 1st liner for them.

However, a star, franchise goaltender who is your 1st line of defense for 85% of the games, who sells tickets and jerseys and promotes your team around North America, is an entirely different story from a 2nd/3rd center. That is worth spending one of your few large contracts on, even for a budget team like Florida.

Here's some more info on this:

Stephen Weiss, 29, was removed from the struggling Florida Panthers' lineup on Jan. 24, trade speculation of the pending UFA kicked up a notch. Weiss, who has just one assist in three games, announced during the off-season that he would not renegotiate midseason and, though affordable now ($3.1 million cap hit), whether Florida can match what Weiss could get on the open market is another story. So will they deal him before April's deadline?

Former 1st round pick.

Panther.

Assistant captain.

5 points/7 playoff games in first appearance.

With the UFA pool being so thin this year, Gillis should really consider Weiss as as the article above suggests, if he's gonna wave his NMC he's probably also going to re-sign.

The Kesler injury is showing up thin the Canucks are at C, even with Schroeder..

It should also be noted that when Booth put up 31 goals, Weiss was his playmaker having 47 assists/61 points in 78 games..

Higgins - Kesler - Burrows

Booth - Weiss - Hansen

Luongo, Raymond for Weiss, Shore/Gudbranson + a pick depending on which young guy??

Trading for Weiss is fine, but only as a rental for this year. Going forward, we simply can't afford another 4-5 million dollar contract, for a guy who isn't really a key player (unless filling in for one who is injured).

With the cap going down, things will be a bit tighter next year. If Schroeder can continue his strong play and develop, he could fill the 3rd center, 2nd PP role on a small cap hit.

Trading for Weiss is fine, but only as a rental for this year. Going forward, we simply can't afford another 4-5 million dollar contract, for a guy who isn't really a key player (unless filling in for one who is injured).

With the cap going down, things will be a bit tighter next year. If Schroeder can continue his strong play and develop, he could fill the 3rd center, 2nd PP role on a small cap hit.

If Florida is going to trade Weiss, it's not going to be for Luongo. Personally, I think Lu's contract is way too rich for Florida to take on, and they can get some interesting prospects/picks for Weiss to a team at the deadline that is looking to make a run for the cup.

Weiss is a UFA this summer, so don't think MG is willing to gamble on that.

Like I said, I'd be all for acquiring Weiss. There's nothing wrong with picking up a rental player if you think you have a solid chance to contend (which I do).

If Booth comes back and isn't effective, and Weiss or Kesler adapt well to playing on the wing, then maybe we can trade/waive/buyout Booth and re-sign Weiss.

Like I said, I'd be all for acquiring Weiss. There's nothing wrong with picking up a rental player if you think you have a solid chance to contend (which I do).

If Booth comes back and isn't effective, and Weiss or Kesler adapt well to playing on the wing, then maybe we can trade/waive/buyout Booth and re-sign Weiss.

Former 1st round pick.

Panther.

Assistant captain.

5 points/7 playoff games in first appearance.

With the UFA pool being so thin this year, Gillis should really consider Weiss as as the article above suggests, if he's gonna wave his NMC he's probably also going to re-sign.

The Kesler injury is showing up thin the Canucks are at C, even with Schroeder..

It should also be noted that when Booth put up 31 goals, Weiss was his playmaker having 47 assists/61 points in 78 games..

Higgins - Kesler - Burrows

Booth - Weiss - Hansen

Luongo, Raymond for Weiss, Shore/Gudbranson + a pick depending on which young guy??

Yeah I saw the 'or Shore' comparison and I get what you're going for with Weiss, but my point is even if we didn't bring back a forward in a Luongo deal, I don't think we'd be in the market for any of the top UFA forwards. I could see trying for a 3rd line center, but otherwise we have the Sedins, Kassian, Kesler, Burrows and Booth in the top six, with Jensen, Raymond, Schroeder (and of course Higgins and Hansen) as options for next year. We'd have to re-sign Raymond if we went that route, but he'd be a much more affordable depth option than Weiss or any other top 6 UFA.

Yeah I saw the 'or Shore' comparison and I get what you're going for with Weiss, but my point is even if we didn't bring back a forward in a Luongo deal, I don't think we'd be in the market for any of the top UFA forwards. I could see trying for a 3rd line center, but otherwise we have the Sedins, Kassian, Kesler, Burrows and Booth in the top six, with Jensen, Raymond, Schroeder (and of course Higgins and Hansen) as options for next year. We'd have to re-sign Raymond if we went that route, but he'd be a much more affordable depth option than Weiss or any other top 6 UFA.

Archived