169 replies to this topic

#31 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,460 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:17 PM

For everyone here who doesn't seem to know how to read and interpret......I was not hating on players or suggesting they are garbage. I was saying they do not seem to live up to expectations once they get to Van from Florida.

#32 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,460 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:19 PM

Ahhhh Garrison? The guy has been great for us! I'm really liking Garrison on this team, why you hating brah?

God, can anyone actually tell the difference between hating on a player and making an observation that he is being used differently here???? frack me CDC is stupid

#33 Dayman

Dayman

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:20 PM

God, can anyone actually tell the difference between hating on a player and making an observation that he is being used differently here???? frack me CDC is stupid

No, you're just a Garrison hating fool. Get out.

#34 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,460 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:20 PM

Really? So because he isn't logging minutes on a Florida PP where he would obviously get more chances playing with their players (in comparison to ours), he isn't good enough?

Really man? Garrison provides a solid hard-working defensive cog in our system. Labeling him as an underachiever as I read from you is completely ignorant of his defensive play. Garrison has been a solid addition and expecting him to repeat a 16 goal season as if he was playing beside Campbell is ridiculous.

Ummm.....most of CDC expects him to repeat a 16 goal season........I don't. Nor have I said he isn't good enough. I said high priced guys from Florida do not bring what they did in Florida which you actually seem to be saying as well.

#35 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,460 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:21 PM

No, you're just a Garrison hating fool. Get out.

Umm.....Garrison is actually one of my favorite Canucks. You just don't know how to interpret what you read.

Edited by wallstreetamigo, 27 January 2013 - 02:21 PM.

#36 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,460 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:22 PM

Who says we have to re-sign him to make it a good trade?

Bjugstad would be the centerpiece to the trade. The guys going to be a stud.

Bjugstad and a 2nd would be good enough for Luongo IMO. But if we can get something to help us now, even if it's for just this season, it's worth it. Weiss would be a throw in for us taking Upshall's horrible contract. He can be bought out later.

Gillis doesn't seem to like taking on rental players in any deal. Besides the fact that Florida would probably not consider that tgrade anyway.

#37 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,192 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:24 PM

Bjugstad isn't going anywhere either way, with or without Weiss.

To Vancouver:
- Weiss
- Upshall (Cap Dump)
- Petrovic or Trocheck
- Conditional 2nd (If Weiss doesn't re-sign)

To Florida:
- Luongo

zackass.png

#38 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,460 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:24 PM

Garrison looks fine defensively but he is not being used as effectively in Van as he was last year in Florida. No one is setting him up for one timers the way Campbell did on the PP.......He does not look like a 16 goal scorer right now at all. I didn't say those guys play like crap, I said they don't bring the same game to Vancouver when they end up here, which unfortunately in all 3 of those cases is true so far.

As for Booth, he has not played up to expectations at all and looks pretty average with Kesler.

Of course we all hope that will change but my point wasn't about what we hope for......

#39 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,460 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:26 PM

To Vancouver:
- Weiss
- Upshall (Cap Dump)
- Petrovic or Trocheck

To Florida:
- Luongo

I agree that Bjugstad is unlikely. This deal is probably pretty realistic but I dont think it actually helps the Canucks much beyond this season.

#40 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,460 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:28 PM

I forgot, this is CDC where if you do not believe the team is perfect you are not entitled to express an opinion.....Garrison was brought in to replace Salo and to provide a boost on the PP. On the defensive side he has done that. On the offensive side the Canucks coaching needs to adjust how they are using him on the PP if they hope to get 16 goals out of him. Not sure how that translates into hating a guy. He has been our best defensive dman so far along with Ballard and Tanev.

#41 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,460 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:29 PM

If they pay a rental price for Weiss then fine. Anything more than that and he is not worth it.

#42 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,851 posts

Weiss will want a multi-year deal at around 5 per. Huberdeau and Bjugstad are the future in Florida, so they don't want to shell out that much on what will potentially be their #3 center. Can't blame them.

That said, Weiss would look great on the Nucks, even if he just ended up a rental. But I could see a team with bigger holes at center (looking at you, Calgary) offering a fair bit, with the aim to lock him up.
Posted Image

#43 theminister

theminister

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,295 posts

To Vancouver:
- Weiss
- Upshall (Cap Dump)
- Petrovic or Trocheck

To Florida:
- Luongo

That's the thing though, Weiss won't re-sign because he would be slotted as a 3rd line centre here, and would still require $4mil+.

Even if it means sliding Kes over to wing then one of Burrows or Booth wind up on the 3rd. I can't see how having a $4+ mil player on the 3rd line makes any sense for next year.

Weiss is essentially a rental so your trade suggested here is mediocre return. a solid single, maybe a ground rule double, but nothing more.

Edited by theminister, 27 January 2013 - 02:31 PM.

small.pngNEW YORK ISLANDERS ROSTER - CDC GM LEAGUEsmall.png

2013 CDCGML CUP CHAMPIONS

#44 canucksnihilist

canucksnihilist

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:30 PM

Booth: has shown, he "has" "shown" he can be good value for his paycheque. Got a knee injury last year, and it was his first year, coming in half-way. Injury was the real problem. Will he be worth his paycheque? A good chance, but no guarantee. Give him a chance.

Ballard: arguably, he is showing so far this year that he deserves his cheque. Let's see it continue, and there won't be any more complaining. Oh and seriously, stop complaining...

#45 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,216 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:31 PM

If we agree to take Scottie Upshall (since that should free up enough cap space), maybe Florida will give us one of Huberdeau, Bjugstad or Gudbranson as well?

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#46 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,905 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:32 PM

To Vancouver:
- Weiss
- Upshall (Cap Dump)
- Petrovic or Trocheck

To Florida:
- Luongo

Upshall publicly said he hates Kesler, MG will not bring him in. And besides, MG said he's been offered tons of packages with a player dump but he turned it down because he doesnt want to take any salary back.

#47 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,860 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:42 PM

Weiss will want a multi-year deal at around 5 per. Huberdeau and Bjugstad are the future in Florida, so they don't want to shell out that much on what will potentially be their #3 center. Can't blame them.

That said, Weiss would look great on the Nucks, even if he just ended up a rental. But I could see a team with bigger holes at center (looking at you, Calgary) offering a fair bit, with the aim to lock him up.

Drew Shore's stock is rising in Florida. He's showing he can play in the NHL, even if it's only been a few games.

If they think he can be there future second line center behind Huberdeau, they may consider trading Bjugstad.

Don't forget that Bjugstad still hasn't signed with the Panthers. At this point he could just as well pull a Schultz and become a UFA. Then any team could sign him for nothing. Don't think that this isn't going through Tallon's head when considering a trade.

Edited by DeNiro, 27 January 2013 - 02:42 PM.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#48 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,192 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:45 PM

That's the thing though, Weiss won't re-sign because he would be slotted as a 3rd line centre here, and would still require $4mil+.

Even if it means sliding Kes over to wing then one of Burrows or Booth wind up on the 3rd. I can't see how having a $4+ mil player on the 3rd line makes any sense for next year.

Weiss is essentially a rental so your trade suggested here is mediocre return. a solid single, maybe a ground rule double, but nothing more.

The thing is, Weiss as a rental brings value in the deal, we can't expect to get everything. Petrovic is a pretty good prospect and that 2nd in this deep draft could be very valuable.

I agree that Bjugstad is unlikely. This deal is probably pretty realistic but I dont think it actually helps the Canucks much beyond this season.

Petrovic is a really good prospect, a top 4 guy with size, good allround skill and some nastyness/grit. The 2nd in this deep draft would be valuable as it would most likely be a mid round pick, could get a good player if this draft is anything like 03.

Imagine a future right side of: Corrado, Tanev, Petrovic.

Upshall publicly said he hates Kesler, MG will not bring him in. And besides, MG said he's been offered tons of packages with a player dump but he turned it down because he doesnt want to take any salary back.

Good point, Not too keen on Upshall either but I don't see anyone else we could bring in as a cap dump.

The thing is we have to take money back in this trade, cause if they can't afford Weiss they won't be able to afford Luongo without Cap Coming back.

Maybe Bergenheim instead? What's he signed for?

zackass.png

#49 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,860 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:49 PM

Upshall could immediately be bought out if management didn't want him on the team. It's not a big deal.

Posted Image

#50 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,216 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:50 PM

The thing is, Weiss as a rental brings value in the deal, we can't expect to get everything. Petrovic is a pretty good prospect and that 2nd in this deep draft could be very valuable.

Petrovic is a really good prospect, a top 4 guy with size, good allround skill and some nastyness/grit. The 2nd in this deep draft would be valuable as it would most likely be a mid round pick, could get a good player if this draft is anything like 03.

Imagine a future right side of: Corrado, Tanev, Petrovic.

Good point, Not too keen on Upshall either but I don't see anyone else we could bring in as a cap dump.

The thing is we have to take money back in this trade, cause if they can't afford Weiss they won't be able to afford Luongo without Cap Coming back.

$2.75M for 2 more years. Not that bad of a contract.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#51 stexx

stexx

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:56 PM

Upshall could immediately be bought out if management didn't want him on the team. It's not a big deal.

i dont think you can buy him out until the summer now, could always send him down to the minors though.

#52 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,860 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:59 PM

i dont think you can buy him out until the summer now, could always send him down to the minors though.

No they added a buyout for this season. That's why Redden and Gomez were bought out.

Posted Image

#53 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,905 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:02 PM

I dont think we have to take a salary dump.They could always trade Weiss to another team if they wish to dump him.

Bergenheim is signed for 2.75m. preety good price but he's injured.

how about this, MG likes project players right? Mueller had lots of potential but didnt live up to it. They shed alittle bit of salary, enough to probably give Weiss his raise.

Mueller 1.75m (RFA)
Bjugstad

for

Luongo

#54 doobiedoodoo

doobiedoodoo

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:04 PM

Weiss won't be coming here. He is the "throw in" Gillis is referring to. Player with salary that doesn't fit into what the Canucks need.

#55 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,192 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:06 PM

I dont think we have to take a salary dump.They could always trade Weiss to another team if they wish to dump him.

Bergenheim is signed for 2.75m. preety good price but he's injured.

how about this, MG likes project players right? Mueller had lots of potential but didnt live up to it. They shed alittle bit of salary, enough to probably give Weiss his raise.

Mueller 1.75m (RFA)
Bjugstad

for

Luongo

No we have to take back a big contract they can't afford to pay Luongo what his actual contract is, not his cap hit. That's why they will trade Weiss as they can't afford to pay him next year at what he will want.

So if we take back a contract like Bergenheim or Upshall, along with the money Weiss makes, it will balance out Luongo's paycheck, otherwise I can't see Florida as a likely trade partner.

zackass.png

#56 Caboose

Caboose

Marlies Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,862 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:07 PM

Weiss
Bjugstad
Upshall
2nd

For

Luongo

Posted Image

Posted Image

Vintage Canuck's #1 Supporter

#57 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:08 PM

Garrison looks fine defensively but he is not being used as effectively in Van as he was last year in Florida. No one is setting him up for one timers the way Campbell did on the PP.......He does not look like a 16 goal scorer right now at all. I didn't say those guys play like crap, I said they don't bring the same game to Vancouver when they end up here, which unfortunately in all 3 of those cases is true so far.

As for Booth, he has not played up to expectations at all and looks pretty average with Kesler.

Of course we all hope that will change but my point wasn't about what we hope for......

Garrison = waaay to early to judge other than to say he's been solid defensively, can skate, adds size, and is a threat those by themselves are worth what we paid, and he's from Vancouver so can only want to win that much more...disagree here

Booth = agree, hasn't really played to his contract and not so sure if he will on this team, just doesn't seem to gel with our style...time will tell but perhaps he's better suited to an Islander type style like Grabs?

Ballard = not a bad player and has made a nice pairing with Tanev. Is he overpaid for his role, yes, is he overpaid if we used him the way he was used in FLA no..

So to an extent I agree, we don't need to take on contracts that are significant, then not use those contracts in the roles they were paid for, that's poor cap management (ie why get a 5th dman for 4.5 million when you can get one for 2-3?)...

Weiss can help here in the short term and who knows maybe he ends up creating some chemistry with Kesler but some other deals will need to be made then. Either that means moving Booth or mayray for a second liner with size (that uses it)

#58 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:10 PM

Rangers...

#59 stexx

stexx

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:12 PM

No they added a buyout for this season. That's why Redden and Gomez were bought out.

typically you cannot buy players out mid-season only in the offseason and even in the offseason only at certain times. if the compliance buyouts are different and can be used midseason thats great.

Been trying to figure out why gillis is so bent against taking dead-money back in order to get what he wants. Does he think he is going to need his two compliance buyouts to keep the team competitive?

#60 Beefcake

Beefcake

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:12 PM

Panthers don't really want Luongo back. I mean they would like him back but not his salary. That's the main reason they traded him to Vancouver years ago, knowing they wouldn't be able to afford his next contact, same as Weiss

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.