The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Panthers can't afford Weiss, looking to trade him

They could do this if Howden holds weight, he looked good as a call up even when they got blown out by Philly.

I like this deal! I dream of better ones, but essentially Petrovic whom I like, a bit of depth (Bergenheim) and a shot at the cup (Weiss) for Lou...

Win, win

edit; not completely sarcastically, or un sarcastically, Mike Keenan is calling for Weiss as the centrepiece return on Lou... :rolleyes:

Revised offer

To Vancouver:

- Stephen Weiss

- Sean Bergenheim

- Alex Petrovic

- Condiditonal 2nd (If Weiss doesn't re-sign)

To Florida:

- Roberto Luongo

Bergenheim (2.75) + Weiss (3.1) , (combined 5.85) = Luongo (5.3) (in dollars) so they can afford to take on Luongo.

and for us Weiss is a rental and we could always move Bergenheim or keep him around as he is a useful playoff player. Then we get future assets with Petrovic, and the 2nd which beings extra value in this deep draft.

Hmmmm, I think your well and truly off base.

Toronto, Calgary, Columbus and Toronto, if they are looking for rental players, should not be... :picard:

And Detroit could always use a good veteran, but have a top line centre (his name is Datsyuk, you may have heard of him) and a backup, Zetterburg. My guess is if they liked Weiss, would try and signe him in the off season, as their pressing need is considered by some to be a defender to replace some guy, can't recall his name... Help me out here?

I think Weiss could end up in Toronto, Calgary, Detroit, Columbus, or Colorado.

Toronto because obvious reasons.

Calgary is looking for #1 centremen and Weiss could help them.

Detroit could use him on the second line, he would help bolster there weakened line up.

Columbus could go after him because of their new look team and by adding Weiss into the mix they then could have a very good top 6.

Colorado could go after Weiss if it doesn't work out with Ryan O'Reilly, Weiss is good alternative for Colorado to look at.

Gillis doesn't seem to like trading for rental players that are not in the long term plans if his history counts for anything. Where does Weiss play when Kesler comes back? That means Weiss is probably not a player Gillis would be actively pursuing. Bergenheim isn't going to help the Canucks enough to make him a key player in the deal imo.

Bergenheim isn't a key in the deal, he just balances out the salary, although he has enough value (and isn't as overpaid as Upshall) where we can trade him elsewhere if we can't use him.

We did make the Pahlsson deal last year, and the Alberts deal (although we re-signed him) was made for depth heading into the playoffs, I'm sure if bringing him on board long term was our thinking we would have made that move much sooner.

Weiss fits on the 2nd (He has chemistry with Booth, is the pass first player Kesler needs)

Please, we all know Weiss is not coming to Van. I doubt Luongo's getting traded and I think Gillis is on crack if he thinks he's getting anything good for Luongo. May as well trade him for a couple of draft picks no point in havin Luongo and that long contract riding the pine. Gillis is too conservative in his trading. He has no leverage with Luongo and the longer he waits the less likely we'll get anything. Other GM's realize Gillis is losing ground every day. Soon the pressure is going to increase and Gillis will be forced to take a smaller deal. Should have traded him when we had the chance.

I would think Chicago has interest in Weiss and Florida would be wiser to move him for assets than to trade him for Luongo.

Hayes, Saad, Danault, Pirri, Kruger... One of those and a draft pick. Then Tallon can turn around and trade more expendable assets for Luongo.

It makes more sense for Tallon to make two separate deals.

Please, we all know Weiss is not coming to Van. I doubt Luongo's getting traded and I think Gillis is on crack if he thinks he's getting anything good for Luongo. May as well trade him for a couple of draft picks no point in havin Luongo and that long contract riding the pine. Gillis is too conservative in his trading. He has no leverage with Luongo and the longer he waits the less likely we'll get anything. Other GM's realize Gillis is losing ground every day. Soon the pressure is going to increase and Gillis will be forced to take a smaller deal. Should have traded him when we had the chance.

Hmmmm, I think your well and truly off base.

Toronto, Calgary, Columbus and Toronto, if they are looking for rental players, should not be... :picard:

And Detroit could always use a good veteran, but have a top line centre (his name is Datsyuk, you may have heard of him) and a backup, Zetterburg. My guess is if they liked Weiss, would try and signe him in the off season, as their pressing need is considered by some to be a defender to replace some guy, can't recall his name... Help me out here?

Ya how about no. If we can't afford Weiss what makes you think we can afford Luos garbage? We'd be better to trade him for prospects and picks and build our future than trade for a bad contract. Unless you take Upshall off our hands???

Archived