169 replies to this topic

#121 cripplereh

cripplereh

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:38 PM

We would need in a trade , help now , young gun , 1st or 2nd rounder!!A throw in player if they took one like a Raymond, but I think it's florida doing what tsn thinks we are, maming it better for them by saying something to the media to get what they want.If they can't afford players move the team plane and simple!!!!
Posted Image

#122 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:20 PM

Spoiler

Spoiler

Solid posts. +1.

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#123 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,191 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:36 PM

And +1 for you using the spoiler tag so that wasn't a massive post.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#124 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:08 AM

And +1 for you using the spoiler tag so that wasn't a massive post.

+1 because I wanna be part of this.

#125 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,191 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:32 AM

+1 because I wanna be part of this.

Did you +1 everyone's post that lead up to that? No? Silly, that's not how a pyramid scheme it works.

#126 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:08 AM

Did you +1 everyone's post that lead up to that? No? Silly, that's not how a pyramid scheme it works.

Haha.. I'm learning I'm learning..

#127 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:13 AM

Here's some more info on this:

Stephen Weiss, 29, was removed from the struggling Florida Panthers' lineup on Jan. 24, trade speculation of the pending UFA kicked up a notch. Weiss, who has just one assist in three games, announced during the off-season that he would not renegotiate midseason and, though affordable now ($3.1 million cap hit), whether Florida can match what Weiss could get on the open market is another story. So will they deal him before April's deadline?

http://www.sportsnet...luongo_roberto/

Despite Weiss' contract status, the Panthers won't shop him if they rally back into playoff contention by the trade deadline. On the other hand, if they're outside the playoff picture and cannot afford to re-sign him, they cannot risk losing him to free agency for nothing.

Should Weiss hit the trade market, the Vancouver Canucks could be the leading suitors, given goaltender Roberto Luongo preferred trade destination is back to the Panthers. The Canucks need skilled depth at center and with Ryan Kesler hobbled by injuries, it's easy to envision Weiss heading to Vancouver as part of the return for Luongo.

A deal with the Canucks is not a certainty, as they would want to re-sign Weiss before accepting him as part of a return for Luongo. Weiss' “no-movement” clause also gives him control over trade destinations.

If the Panthers don't trade Weiss, re-signing him could be difficult. The pool of potentially available first-line centers this summer is a thin one, with Weiss, Ryan Getzlaf and Mike Ribeiro among the youngest and most talented of the bunch.

http://www.thehockey...he-way-out.html

#128 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:19 AM

Former 1st round pick.
Panther.
Assistant captain.
5 points/7 playoff games in first appearance.

With the UFA pool being so thin this year, Gillis should really consider Weiss as as the article above suggests, if he's gonna wave his NMC he's probably also going to re-sign.

The Kesler injury is showing up thin the Canucks are at C, even with Schroeder..

It should also be noted that when Booth put up 31 goals, Weiss was his playmaker having 47 assists/61 points in 78 games..

Higgins - Kesler - Burrows
Booth - Weiss - Hansen

Luongo, Raymond for Weiss, Shore/Gudbranson + a pick depending on which young guy??

#129 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,705 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:28 AM

Please MG no, just no......you have gone to the high priced Florida yard sale a couple of times now and for whatever reason those guys just don't seem to bring their same game here. Ballard, Booth, Garrison, etc.

Yet Ballard and Tanev are be labeled the best defensive pairing we have.

Garrison is starting to adjust to the Canucks style.

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#130 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,936 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:47 AM

Trading for Weiss is fine, but only as a rental for this year. Going forward, we simply can't afford another 4-5 million dollar contract, for a guy who isn't really a key player (unless filling in for one who is injured).

With the cap going down, things will be a bit tighter next year. If Schroeder can continue his strong play and develop, he could fill the 3rd center, 2nd PP role on a small cap hit.
Posted Image

#131 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,197 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:55 AM

Trading for Weiss is fine, but only as a rental for this year. Going forward, we simply can't afford another 4-5 million dollar contract, for a guy who isn't really a key player (unless filling in for one who is injured).

With the cap going down, things will be a bit tighter next year. If Schroeder can continue his strong play and develop, he could fill the 3rd center, 2nd PP role on a small cap hit.

A question to ask is whether Van can be a CUP contender with Weiss at 2nd C and Kesler gone for the season? I agree with you that adding another C at that CAP is unaffordable. If done what about Kesler-Weise-Burrows? Strength up the middle is a must with any contending team. I simply cannot see Weise and Booth from the money angle.

#132 Edlerberry

Edlerberry

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:19 AM

Would much rather Weiss at $5m than Booth at $4.25
July 7-2013

Toronto will take a step back next year.
Feel free to quote me.

July 8-2013

Wow I can't believe peoples replies...
Im done here. You people are disgusting..

#133 justvisiting

justvisiting

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:27 AM

If Florida is going to trade Weiss, it's not going to be for Luongo. Personally, I think Lu's contract is way too rich for Florida to take on, and they can get some interesting prospects/picks for Weiss to a team at the deadline that is looking to make a run for the cup.

Weiss is a UFA this summer, so don't think MG is willing to gamble on that.

#134 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,936 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:32 AM

Like I said, I'd be all for acquiring Weiss. There's nothing wrong with picking up a rental player if you think you have a solid chance to contend (which I do).

If Booth comes back and isn't effective, and Weiss or Kesler adapt well to playing on the wing, then maybe we can trade/waive/buyout Booth and re-sign Weiss.
Posted Image

#135 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:40 AM

Like I said, I'd be all for acquiring Weiss. There's nothing wrong with picking up a rental player if you think you have a solid chance to contend (which I do).

If Booth comes back and isn't effective, and Weiss or Kesler adapt well to playing on the wing, then maybe we can trade/waive/buyout Booth and re-sign Weiss.

Kesler played awesome on the right wing next to Demitra & Sundin - he had 36 points in the last 41 games of that season.. basically his breakout.

Weiss has good two-way abilities as a center, maybe not as good as Kesler, but he has also never had a linemate like Kesler to help out..

Putting Weiss in between two solid bodies can only be good. Weiss has put up 60+ points twice & 55+ one other time on a subpar team. He was 2nd on his team in playoff points the only time the Cats made it..

He had chemistry with Booth on his LW as I mentioned earlier (Booth with 31 goals, Weiss 47 assists)... so a line of

Booth - Weiss - Kesler is definitely not out of the question.

Weiss could also be key to running the 2nd PP unit, Kesler w/the Sedins another C is needed for the 2nd one..

Sedin - Sedin - Kesler

Booth - Weiss - Kassian/Burrows

IF he's asking for 5.5+ that obviously brings up financial problems, but maybe he's asking more in the 4.5-5 range, and with Raymond gone, Luongo gone it would be a tight squeeze but doable. On top of that, how long will GMMG pay a 5th defenseman 4.2 million? Ballard will likely be gone by the start of next season, IMO.

#136 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,191 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:31 PM

Former 1st round pick.
Panther.
Assistant captain.
5 points/7 playoff games in first appearance.

With the UFA pool being so thin this year, Gillis should really consider Weiss as as the article above suggests, if he's gonna wave his NMC he's probably also going to re-sign.

The Kesler injury is showing up thin the Canucks are at C, even with Schroeder..

It should also be noted that when Booth put up 31 goals, Weiss was his playmaker having 47 assists/61 points in 78 games..

Higgins - Kesler - Burrows
Booth - Weiss - Hansen

Luongo, Raymond for Weiss, Shore/Gudbranson + a pick depending on which young guy??

Never mind the proposal (there's no way we get Weiss and Gudbranson in the same deal, even with Weiss as a pending UFA), but are we even looking for top 6 help from the UFA pool? I doubt it, considering the price we'd have to pay.

With the cap trending downwards (at least for one year, it'll likely begin to rise again soon), we have to be able to fill in roster spots with affordable RFAs from within. As it is, we'll probably have to rid ourselves of one high end contract above and beyond whatever happens in a goalie trade to get below $64M.

I agree, I think he'd fit and give us some great help this year but we don't want to give up someone like Luongo in a deal for a pending UFA we won't be able to afford. It's either we can't afford him, or we dump players in other areas (would we buyout Booth just so we could fit in Weiss' contract next year?). That's poor asset management.

We have young talent coming up that is ready to play, so I say we use them. We'll have even more as the rest of Gillis' draft picks mature.

And I'd much rather Bjugstad on an ELC than Weiss at $5M and having bought out Booth.

#137 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:46 PM

Never mind the proposal (there's no way we get Weiss and Gudbranson in the same deal, even with Weiss as a pending UFA), but are we even looking for top 6 help from the UFA pool? I doubt it, considering the price we'd have to pay.

The point is Weiss wouldn't be part of the UFA pool, he'd already be Canuck property, so Gillis wouldn't have to deal with the open market competition. Weiss has a NMC, he's likely only going to wave to play for a team he WANTS to play for. So therefore, the Canucks could get a top-6 forward without the overinflated UFA price tag and be a step above everybody else.

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Booth - Weiss - Kesler
Burrows

That's a stacked top-6 (with Burr being interchangeable anywhere in the line-up) and the cap hits could work fine without Ballard, Luongo or Raymond:

Sedin (6.1) - Sedin (6.1) - Kassian (.87)
Booth (4.25) - Weiss (4.8) - Kesler (5)
Burrows (4.5) - Lapierre (1) - Hansen (1.35)
Higgins (1.75) - Malhotra (1.65) - Weise (.650)
UFA (.700)

Edler (5) - Garrison (4.6)
Bieksa (4.6) - Hammer (4.5)
Connauton (.7) - Tanev (1.6)
Vandermeer (.9), UFA (.7)

Schneider - (4)
UFA - (2.5)

Blue = prediction on salary

Total Cap: 61.62, so give raises where you think my predictions are wrong.. or else the team is not only stacked but well beneath the cap.

#138 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:58 PM

Never mind the proposal (there's no way we get Weiss and Gudbranson in the same deal, even with Weiss as a pending UFA).

As for this part of the post that's why there was a '/', I also doubt GMMG could snag Gudbranson but I bet he's trying.. this is what I see to be realistic:

Luongo, Raymond + a 4th

for

Weiss, Shore, Theodore + a 2nd

#139 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,191 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:35 PM

Yeah I saw the 'or Shore' comparison and I get what you're going for with Weiss, but my point is even if we didn't bring back a forward in a Luongo deal, I don't think we'd be in the market for any of the top UFA forwards. I could see trying for a 3rd line center, but otherwise we have the Sedins, Kassian, Kesler, Burrows and Booth in the top six, with Jensen, Raymond, Schroeder (and of course Higgins and Hansen) as options for next year. We'd have to re-sign Raymond if we went that route, but he'd be a much more affordable depth option than Weiss or any other top 6 UFA.

Edited by elvis15, 31 January 2013 - 06:36 PM.

#140 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:42 PM

Yeah I saw the 'or Shore' comparison and I get what you're going for with Weiss, but my point is even if we didn't bring back a forward in a Luongo deal, I don't think we'd be in the market for any of the top UFA forwards. I could see trying for a 3rd line center, but otherwise we have the Sedins, Kassian, Kesler, Burrows and Booth in the top six, with Jensen, Raymond, Schroeder (and of course Higgins and Hansen) as options for next year. We'd have to re-sign Raymond if we went that route, but he'd be a much more affordable depth option than Weiss or any other top 6 UFA.

However, Weiss as a non-UFA and at roughly 4.5-5 per year is an upgrade on all those guys and you can see above it fits well into the cap. He can play 3rd line C if needed, but would likely form a sweet 2nd line with Booth & Kes.

Heck, with 2.5+ in cap space after signing him, the Canucks COULD let Manny go and put that 1.65 I have him signed at (in theory) and get a 3rd line center for anything less than 3 million and STILL have Weiss.

#141 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,191 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:20 PM

However, Weiss as a non-UFA and at roughly 4.5-5 per year is an upgrade on all those guys and you can see above it fits well into the cap. He can play 3rd line C if needed, but would likely form a sweet 2nd line with Booth & Kes.

Heck, with 2.5+ in cap space after signing him, the Canucks COULD let Manny go and put that 1.65 I have him signed at (in theory) and get a 3rd line center for anything less than 3 million and STILL have Weiss.

It's tight (I'd think Lappy and Higgins get a little more than what they have, but otherwise possible if Weiss is thinking in that range) but depends on if we're comfortable with dropping Ballard from our D and trusting Connauton. We probably would be fine, but it limits spots for young players, although Weiss does improve us.

My point was we could go after younger players and picks in a Luongo deal and we wouldn't really need to even look at UFA forwards (which Weiss would be if we didn't trade for him). It could be an excellent opportunity to improve for future but it'll all come down to what Gillis sees as best.

#142 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:43 PM

What's Weiss out with "officially"? A groin pull? An ambiguous "lower body injury"?

Meanwhile the Panther's season is going down the drain.

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#143 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:44 PM

It's tight (I'd think Lappy and Higgins get a little more than what they have, but otherwise possible if Weiss is thinking in that range) but depends on if we're comfortable with dropping Ballard from our D and trusting Connauton. We probably would be fine, but it limits spots for young players, although Weiss does improve us.

My point was we could go after younger players and picks in a Luongo deal and we wouldn't really need to even look at UFA forwards (which Weiss would be if we didn't trade for him). It could be an excellent opportunity to improve for future but it'll all come down to what Gillis sees as best.

Yeah, I think in theory what you're saying is what Gillis is looking for, but Weiss would be an exception IMO because of the reasons I've already listed. Not too many teams have a F of Weiss' calibre and age to offer up for Luongo.

#144 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:44 PM

What's Weiss out with "officially"? A groin pull? An ambiguous "lower body injury"?

Meanwhile the Panther's season is going down the drain.

Yep. A lower-body injury that was listed a bit after he was scratched.

#145 Ó мцöт вяздк чфĶ

Ó мцöт вяздк чфĶ

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:27 PM

his stats look decent...

http://www.ofhlhocke...r=Stephen Weiss

KIM JONG UN'S FAVORITE HOCKEY TEAM ARE THE KELOWNA ROCKETS.

JOHN SHORTHOUSE'S VOICE REMINDS ME OF KERMIT THE FROG.

#146 RockNroLLa.

RockNroLLa.

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:51 PM

#147 Edlerberry

Edlerberry

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:59 PM

#PyramidSchemeItWorks

Sedin (6.1) - Sedin (6.1) - Kassian (.87)
Burrows (4.5) - Weiss (5m) - Kesler (5)
Higgins (2m) - Schroeder ($1.5m) - Hansen (1.35)
Volpatti (.65) - Lapierre (1.5) - Weise or other (.65)
Jensen(as needed)

Edler (5) - Garrison (4.6)
Bieksa (4.6) - Hammer (4.5)
Ballard (4.2) - Tanev (1.6)

Schneider - (4)
UFA - (1m)

Total Cap: 64.72, so give raises where you think my predictions are wrong.. or else the team is not only stacked but well beneath the cap.

Keep Ballard, lose Booth and Malhotra. Schroeder up, misc. "UFA" that goes up and down with injuries is Jensen.

=64.72. damn close to cap, so hopefully Weiss goes for a bit Cheaper, Schroder goes for the cheap deal, Lapierre maybe is cheaper than $1.5m or Higgins, etc - but this is fair prices for these guys.

Gives us Ballard as a guy who can jump up into top 4 if we have any D injuries.

Edited by gushybear, 31 January 2013 - 09:10 PM.

July 7-2013

Toronto will take a step back next year.
Feel free to quote me.

July 8-2013

Wow I can't believe peoples replies...
Im done here. You people are disgusting..

#148 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:52 PM

#PyramidSchemeItWorks

Keep Ballard, lose Booth and Malhotra. Schroeder up, misc. "UFA" that goes up and down with injuries is Jensen.

=64.72. damn close to cap, so hopefully Weiss goes for a bit Cheaper, Schroder goes for the cheap deal, Lapierre maybe is cheaper than $1.5m or Higgins, etc - but this is fair prices for these guys.

Gives us Ballard as a guy who can jump up into top 4 if we have any D injuries.

1. I think losing Booth is a mistake. He can score 20+ and when he's not scoring he's making room. He's a 2nd line winger making 4.25 not a 4th liner, unlike Ballard who is making 4.2 but is playing third pairing. Cap management..

2. With the way Schroeder has played, he doesn't deserve more than 990,000 IMO. Although if he sticks looks more and more comfortable, it could change.

3. Why does Higgins get a raise if the cap is going down and is role is lesser so far?

4. Your roster doesn't have any extras with that cap hit... you do realize teams carry more than 20 players incl. goalies right?

#149 CB007

CB007

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,661 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:43 PM

Ya how about no. If we can't afford Weiss what makes you think we can afford Luos garbage? We'd be better to trade him for prospects and picks and build our future than trade for a bad contract. Unless you take Upshall off our hands???

Weiss is due to make 5M plus next year. You are better off with an elite goalie at that cap hit.
Posted Image

#150 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:44 PM

4. Your roster doesn't have any extras with that cap hit... you do realize teams carry more than 20 players incl. goalies right?

Bingo. 23-man roster with Weiss @ $4.5m is pretty much impossible:

D. SEDIN $6,100,000.00 H. SEDIN $6,100,000.00 Z. KASSIAN $870,000.00
N. JENSEN $895,000 R. KESLER $5,000,000.00 A. BURROWS $4,500,000.00
D. BOOTH $4,250,000.00 S. WEISS $4,500,000.00 J. HANSEN $1,350,000.00
A. VOLPATTI $700,000.00 M. LAPIERRE $1,500,000.00 D. WEISE $700,000.00
#13 FWD $550,000.00

LW TOTAL: $11,945,000.00 C TOTAL: $17,650,000.00 RW TOTAL: $7,420,000.00

D. HAMHUIS $4,500,000.00 K. BIEKSA $4,600,000.00
A. EDLER $5,000,000.00 J. GARRISON $4,600,000.00
K. CONNAUTON $900,000.00 C. TANEV $1,500,000.00
#7 D $700,000.00 #8 D $700,000.00

LD TOTAL: $11,100,000.00 RD TOTAL: $11,400,000.00

C. SCHNEIDER $4,000,000.00
E. LACK $750,000.00

G TOTAL: $4,750,000.00

TOTAL CAP HIT: $64,265,000.00 SALARY CAP: $64,300,000.00 CAP SPACE: $35,000.00

Edited by Millerdraft, 31 January 2013 - 10:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.