The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What do you do with Ovechkin?

PlayStation

Fresh start for him would be ideal unless the Caps can make some radical changes. He was such an exciting player for so many seasons and you can see that he still has that superstar glimmer inside. Don't know why such an electrifying player isn't getting it done. Teams are just finding out how to shut him down. OV needs a re-vamp.

Just continuing from my previous post.. He seems to be caught in a "Jarome Iginla" sort of state. Great player, lots of passion, fire, and skill but his loyalty (and massive contract) is keeping him in a situation where he isn't excelling as much as he could elsewhere.

The numbers aren't a stretch in the cap department. I think there's two things, Washington making the trade and how he'd fit in the room in Vancouver. I think the guy would do better in Canada.

One's correct when pointing out Ovetchkin is a franchise guy but that means nothing if you're not winning and the player doesn't want to be some where.

I don't think Washington would really hesitate on a trade if they felt they were getting a good return back, maybe a prospect a goalie and a decent D and they would be happy. It's the part like you say of fitting him in, if Luongo was traded and another D then yes Ovechkin would fit, but come next year when the salary cap goes down he wouldn't fit we would have to drop or move more guys to fit him in and I don't think it would work. But I do believe he needs to be on a differen't team, and it would be nice if it was a Canadian team.

Is he still playing on his off wing and not with Backstrom? I know he was doing that earlier in the season.

Why would you take a 50+ goal scorer off his wing that he is conformable on and has played on since he was a kid?

I think Wash should at least toy with the idea of moving Ovechkin. He's not the same player he was a few years ago - but he still is an elite goal scorer, despite his poor season to date. He still is a "name" that coaches and players will always keep an eye out for (opening ice for others) even in a slump, because he can be that gamebreaker.

BUT the main reason they need to entertain the thought is that contract. According to capgeek, the Caps have 43.9 million committed to 11 players next year, leaving them just over 20 million to fill 12 roster spaces..

I don't think Washington would really hesitate on a trade if they felt they were getting a good return back, maybe a prospect a goalie and a decent D and they would be happy. It's the part like you say of fitting him in, if Luongo was traded and another D then yes Ovechkin would fit, but come next year when the salary cap goes down he wouldn't fit we would have to drop or move more guys to fit him in and I don't think it would work. But I do believe he needs to be on a differen't team, and it would be nice if it was a Canadian team.

One game doesn't mean a player is back. Over the past two years he has had several 4 point nights yet he hasn't been Ovie. He needs to become consistent to be a star again. Also this was against a backup in Hedburg, who looked awful. Brodeur would not have let all three in.

Archived