The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What do you do with Ovechkin?

PlayStation

The problem is the captainicy and the failures of the post season and Olympic really hit him hard apparently and he has never been able to recover from that.

He is also not as happy-go-lucky as he used to be. He has become more moody. The problem with Ovechkin is that he sees himself as a goal scorer so when he is not scoring the frustration grows and snowballs. Yes he did have 38 goals last year but it came at a sacrifice, it was his first year to be under a point per game since he entered the NHL.

The other obvious problem is his inability or unwillingness to improve since he entered the league and constantly rounding himself out as a player.

He has gone to his bread and butter many times before coming down the wing. It used to work but stopped working after 2010 and now rarely do you see vintage Ovechkin goals.

I think he needs to start training in the off-season with Stamkos and Gary Roberts and see what they are doing. His fitness has been an issue and he has gained weight every year since entering the league thinking it will help him play a more physical game.

He needs a good trainer to push him to focus off ice and ditch the party boy attitude to get serious about regaining his elite level as well as on the ice to improve his game and add some new moves to his arsenal because I'm sure he realizes his old stuff doesn't work anymore.

Maybe he needs a full time skills coach to work with over the summer to help him add some offensive moves or even workout with Kovalchuk who has a similar game to Ovechkin but has improved to become a better passer and improved his game to not be one dimensional.

I believe he's just as talented as he's always been, but the Capitals have been making stylistic changes the last few seasons. Nobody is going to play a trap style and not see their production take a hit. If he can fully commit to training and regaining his elite status, and add some new moves to his arsenal I wouldn't be surprised if he took off offensively again.

• 3 weeks later...

How much is Ovechkin getting per year? It crossed my mind yesterday while announcing Manny's injury reserve situation that Gillis just gained 2.5 million more in cap space. That coupled with Luongo pay would equal that of one Ovetchkin coming to Vancouver. Things are not going well in Washington right now for Ovetchkin. Gillis is not scared to go big. I know it's a stretch. Thoughts?

How much is Ovechkin getting per year? It crossed my mind yesterday while announcing Manny's injury reserve situation that Gillis just gained 2.5 million more in cap space. That coupled with Luongo pay would equal that of one Ovetchkin coming to Vancouver. Things are not going well in Washington right now for Ovetchkin. Gillis is not scared to go big. I know it's a stretch. Thoughts?

He needs a new team and a new start, simple as that. I also remember a few years ago Ovechkin himself came out and said he would always like to play for a Canadain team, because of the fan base towards hockey in Canada, he enjoys playing games in places like Montreal and Toronto, but is commited to Washington. This was a few years ago though.

As said about him playing in Canada he did, there is even a topic here about it, but it was posted back in 2009 and is locked in archived and can't be posted in, but here it is.

/topic/239299-did-ovechkin-just-say-he-wants-to-play-for-a-canadian-team/">http://forum.canucks.com/topic/239299-did-ovechkin-just-say-he-wants-to-play-for-a-canadian-team/

He needs a new team and a new start, simple as that. I also remember a few years ago Ovechkin himself came out and said he would always like to play for a Canadain team, because of the fan base towards hockey in Canada, he enjoys playing games in places like Montreal and Toronto, but is commited to Washington. This was a few years ago though.

As said about him playing in Canada he did, there is even a topic here about it, but it was posted back in 2009 and is locked in archived and can't be posted in, but here it is.

/topic/239299-did-ovechkin-just-say-he-wants-to-play-for-a-canadian-team/">http://forum.canucks...-canadian-team/

Well, he has 1 even-strength goal in 14 games this year. Doesn't seem like he gets a lot of time/space 5-on-5 lately. The book must be out on how to defend against him, and it feels like his speed is already in decline. I don't think he can continue into his late 20s and early 30s as a 230 pounder, expecting to dangle and slide around defenders.

Archived