177 replies to this topic

#151 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:07 AM

AV should have called a timeout right after the 2nd goal to rally the team.

#152 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:10 AM

Even with Kesler and Booth this is purely a non contending team. Can't score and can't play D. Reminds me of the one line offense in the nonis years. Too easy to shutdown. oh and the dreadful PP- hasn't been fixed since Boston finals... When is it time for a coaching change?

Interestingly the Canucks least worries was goaltending...

With a healthy Kesler back, this is a contending team. He puts everyone back to their normal spots and instantly improve our PK and PP.

A few tweaks on the bottom 6 forwards and were just as good as anyone in the NHL.

#153 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,207 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:35 AM

Another glaringly obvious flaw with this team; depth at center. With either Kesler or Henrik out, we're in trouble. Lets remove Kesler from that list as he's not even playing, obviously.

Henrik
Burrows (not even a center LOL)
Schroeder (less than half a dozen games of NHL experience. And obviously not a blue chipper either)
Lapierre
Malhotra (with his one eye)
Ebbett (Not a regular NHL'er)

.... Ouch.
Posted Image

#154 Nuxfanabroad

Nuxfanabroad

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:41 AM

Edler,.....just because you are classed as an 'offensive dman', that does not mean that you don't have to play defense.....your game tonight was really offensive.
The Sedin's..........where is the offense?
Lapierre......We have possession of the puck in their end and you push their player into the net and dislodge it? Smart move and a penalty that resulted in another goal against.
The PP stunk up the joint and the PK was mediocre.
Right now, we look like a team playing for a better draft position. Anyone banking on Kesler and Booth instantly turning this team around are dreaming.
Once again, tonights game showed that we do not have enough size. Getting Kassian and Volpatti has made us tougher but we still are too small up front.

This is a strong post/summary, agree strongly. Too many teams have guys dropping like flies(yest. Hornquist), yet they'll hang in; while we wail about 2 injuries. A good, deep team uses these times to assess other parts, & give other players greater opportunities.

We do NEED more size/bite for these kinds of teams, as well. Last year guys like Weise were trying to jump in as instant-policemen. One or two of our tougher players get hurt, & that's what we'll be replaying.

Edited by Nuxfanabroad, 28 January 2013 - 12:47 AM.

#155 stawns

stawns

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,926 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:44 AM

Not sure would anyone would get off putting anythiung but praise on Schneider.. If it wasn't for him it would have been 5-0 after the first. He made some incredible saves and the ones that went in, he had no chance on. They came out flat against a team running on all cyclinders. After the first push, I thought they settled down and made a game of it until the third. Considering the injury holes in the lineup, I thought they played ok against a big, physical team playing great hockey atm.

#156 Vancanwincup

Vancanwincup

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:46 AM

It's funny how some people are trying to compare the Canucks play tonight to how they played in the blow outs against Boston in the playoffs :picard: The defense infront of Luo in those games in Boston where much better than this game against SJ.

Hamhuis is playing his worst hockey I have ever seen him play including his junior play. Having Hamhuis play the way he can makes a huge difference in the way the Canucks play.

Edler had one of his worst games in his career and Garrison is struggling to find his game.

Beiska is lost without Hamhuis playing well.

So far only Ballard and Tanev have been playing solid consistent hockey on the back end.

Sedins where off against SJ and it effected the whole team .

Cory first game was terrible as was the whole team, but his other games he has been very good including the SJ game.

There is more bad and some good to write about, but I think the main problems are the above.

#157 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,197 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:05 AM

You guys have to look at the Hansen crosscheck on the zebra - I wish is was O'hallaran (very beginning of clip). Freekin hilarious! There was no one else around, clearly it was not a mistake :) Don't mess with honey-badger.
Also, look at Bieksa just shaking his head at Eager, I mean Clowe

Edited by RunningWild, 28 January 2013 - 02:07 AM.

#158 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:48 AM

I think this was just an unlucky game which was compounded further by the piss poor defense.
Anyone who faults Schneider for this loss must be high as a kite or just simply didn't watch the game. I wont use the "we couldn't score" excuse, but when your own defensemen are giftwrapping chances in the slot for the opposing team and are literally playing the whole game as if they were drunk, there is only so many golden opportunities a goalie can stop.
I dont think Luongo would've fared any better in this game and without Cory's play I think we could've quite easily lost 6-1 or worse.

#159 Hairy Kneel

Hairy Kneel

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:29 AM

no luck with the posts tonite but those chances will turn around..if anyone of those go in the momentum changes..chalk it up

#160 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,527 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:36 AM

I'm not too worried.
1/3 of our top-6 is out.
One of which is arguably our most important player.
(For comparisons sake...Take Carter, Richards off LA, Take Malkin, Neal/Crosby,Kunitz off Pens or
Sharp, Hossa off the Hawks.)

Kassian is going to be inconsistent.
Our team looks slow and rusty out there.

TBH. I'm more worried about our top-4 D, taking so long to get it together.
Give Ballard-Tanev more minutes.

Ummm.......we WISH that Booth was anywhere near any of those players you just listed. Even Kesler has not been the same dominant player he was previously. Our top 6 is still pretty weak for consistent scoring beyond the Sedins even when all hands are on deck.

If we want effective defensive play AV and company might want to play Ballard and Tanev 45 minutes next time around.

#161 BenDrinkin

BenDrinkin

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,330 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:46 AM

Oh well, hopefully the guys get their stuff together soon.. Good thing it's just a game in the end, so it really doesn't matter.

#162 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,527 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:56 AM

http://video.tsn.ca/...0/852480/clip/0

Canucks postgame comments. What threw me was Lappys response to the reporter was, ugh, watch for yourself-

I just watched this and all I kept thinking was every single one of these guys from AV to every player is in denial about the issues with this team.

#163 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,901 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:10 AM

I shook my head when Malhotra was the coaches decision. That line up was one thing against Calgary; The Sharks are huge.

And we were extremely small! Plus poor at centre ice.

Look at the beginning of the game; Burrows takes the opening draw and is goaded into a penalty by Couture. Clowe plays the hero and luckily takes another penalty so its 4 on 4 before the game starts. Hansen ends up losing the draw; San Jose goes up ice for a scoring chance and gets a face off in our end. Out pops Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau. AV responds with the Twins; tell me our 185 lb hero's are the defensive match up we want??? Joe bullies Hank, gets thrown out but Marleau who is also a 220 lb centre wins the draw. Danny misses a chance to clear and 30 seconds into the game our forwards get muscled off the puck and we're down 1-0.

AV you were a bone head not playing Manny who SHOULD have taken that draw! Probably with Torres, I mean Higgins.

MG, we should have had more than Burrows as a second line centre to start the season with Kesler out. We knew it was coming; but we got caught with our pants down just like AV not knowing Danny would be out to start the play off's.

For all the good things going on, all the doe head scratching mistakes bit us in the arse...

For sure. Our teams are full of the Ebbets, Raymonds and Schroeders....Big teams love to play against us.

Edited by Canuck Surfer, 28 January 2013 - 05:31 AM.

#164 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:18 AM

You have to understand the reason people don't like Lou has nothing to do with regular season play. People that start bitching about Cory letting in a soft goal in the reg season just don't get it.

Yes well at least Lu got us there..............I'm not a Cory hater but I have said all along we must keep him between the pipes and find out what we have BEFORE we let Lu go. I'm just not convinced that he is a regular starter.

Lu has bailed out our crap D (I mean defensively.......and the only reason they suck defensively is because they are constantly asked to bolster an under performing offence) year on year, it's basically why this team has had success. I want to find out once and for all if Schneider can match him.

We ALL know what this team needs............and if you don't then look at some of my posts going back a couple of years.
I'll recap. Even with Kas we NEED a big sniping winger. I suggested Clowe all last year and I will add Bobby Ryan to the options. It doesn't have to be THEM but someone in their mould.

I was criticised for poo pooing Garrison before he had even played. But it wasn't for what he could bring but what he couldn't. It was a chance to get the big dominant stay at home ball breaker that this team and this team's goalies are crying out for.

If I were AV I would try to find a way to move Booth as part of a trade for a sniping winger. As far as the big D is concerned well where would we find him and who could we put up. I hate to say it but I feel that my favourite KB3 is just too small and too error prone for the top line these days.

I don't think we should panic though and I still think even as we stand we have a playoff team. However it won't go far imo or win it till we scratch this itch once and for all.

Edited by Bodee, 28 January 2013 - 05:48 AM.

Kevin.jpg

#165 Sugar baby watermelon

Sugar baby watermelon

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,378 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:25 AM

I wonder if the guys had a night out that AV did not know about, yikes, what happened with the D, but the Sharks are hot right now, what can you say, Niemi had a few clutch saves there too, hopefully we can correct it against LA, and yes please bring back Manny, his defensive play can help us out against LA, hopefully

#166 Gooseberries

Gooseberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,654 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:29 AM

I wonder if the guys had a night out that AV did not know about, yikes, what happened with the D, but the Sharks are hot right now, what can you say, Niemi had a few clutch saves there too, hopefully we can correct it against LA, and yes please bring back Manny, his defensive play can help us out against LA, hopefully

need some positive attitudes here guys. regular season wins clearly dont add up to a cup. it about peaking at the right time. the sharks are on fire right now. what did we hit like 6 bars last night? couple bad giveaways leading to goals. plus we are missi.g 2 top 6 forwards. let's take this loss learn from it and.move along there was no cup handed out at the end.of that game right?

20u7nh3.jpg

Credit to Vintage Canuck

The Sig lord

#167 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,901 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:47 AM

Uggh. 5 min later Kassian is sent out with Schroeder and Raymond. He challenges Clowe for his indiscretions before the first puck drop. Good on him!

A good bout; but Clowe handed him his lunch box. Not badly, but Kassian is not Donald Brashear with Brendan Shanahan goal scoring prowess as all the Cody bashers were suggesting after the last game.

Edited by Canuck Surfer, 28 January 2013 - 05:48 AM.

#168 BigRedMachine

BigRedMachine

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:07 AM

If this is the way we play against top NHL teams, it's pretty apparent we are no longer a top NHL team.

#169 TheFastOne21

TheFastOne21

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:10 AM

Despite SJ hot start it seems the guys just overlooked this game to prepare for LAK tonight. Emotional game going up against the team that knocked you out of the playoffs is hard to not be thinking about even with another game prior such as last night. Though as paid NHL's they should be able to focus on each game individually.

That said, we should have been better. Forwards were not there consistent enough, D was bad, goaltending was average.

Better luck tonight as i think the boys will come out flying against the Kings.

#170 Buckeye Fruit

Buckeye Fruit

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:57 AM

Burr, KB4 and the Honey Badger show....need more that that to win hockey games.
Need more of the team to show up.
Power play?!?!?!?!
Who's job was it to make sure the twins got on the bus in anaheim?

As bad as it was....we still sit in the 7 spot in the west. We make the playoffs with star players out and nearly everybody else playing like $h!t.
<p>Posted Image GO FALCONS!

#171 stawns

stawns

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,926 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:29 AM

Yes well at least Lu got us there..............I'm not a Cory hater but I have said all along we must keep him between the pipes and find out what we have BEFORE we let Lu go. I'm just not convinced that he is a regular starter.

Lu has bailed out our crap D (I mean defensively.......and the only reason they suck defensively is because they are constantly asked to bolster an under performing offence) year on year, it's basically why this team has had success. I want to find out once and for all if Schneider can match him.

We ALL know what this team needs............and if you don't then look at some of my posts going back a couple of years.
I'll recap. Even with Kas we NEED a big sniping winger. I suggested Clowe all last year and I will add Bobby Ryan to the options. It doesn't have to be THEM but someone in their mould.

I was criticised for poo pooing Garrison before he had even played. But it wasn't for what he could bring but what he couldn't. It was a chance to get the big dominant stay at home ball breaker that this team and this team's goalies are crying out for.

If I were AV I would try to find a way to move Booth as part of a trade for a sniping winger. As far as the big D is concerned well where would we find him and who could we put up. I hate to say it but I feel that my favourite KB3 is just too small and too error prone for the top line these days.

I don't think we should panic though and I still think even as we stand we have a playoff team. However it won't go far imo or win it till we scratch this itch once and for all.

did you watch the game........CS did bail out the defense.........it could have been very very ugly last night but Schneids stood on his head in the first half and gave the team a chance to stay in it.

#172 stawns

stawns

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,926 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:30 AM

Uggh. 5 min later Kassian is sent out with Schroeder and Raymond. He challenges Clowe for his indiscretions before the first puck drop. Good on him!

A good bout; but Clowe handed him his lunch box. Not badly, but Kassian is not Donald Brashear with Brendan Shanahan goal scoring prowess as all the Cody bashers were suggesting after the last game.

To me, it looked like Clowe challenged him and he answered.

#173 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:56 AM

whats up with the powerplay?

No kesler

Posted Image

#174 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:15 AM

need some positive attitudes here guys. regular season wins clearly dont add up to a cup. it about peaking at the right time. the sharks are on fire right now. what did we hit like 6 bars last night? couple bad giveaways leading to goals. plus we are missi.g 2 top 6 forwards. let's take this loss learn from it and.move along there was no cup handed out at the end.of that game right?

The Canucks defense sure looks like they'e hit a couple bars before the game lately.

#175 Gooseberries

Gooseberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,654 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:23 AM

The Canucks defense sure looks like they'e hit a couple bars before the game lately.

haha once I hit submit I knew someone would post something like this

20u7nh3.jpg

Credit to Vintage Canuck

The Sig lord

#176 BabychStache

BabychStache

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,173 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:31 AM

Got to love Schneiders quick pads, he looked solid. Could have had 1 goal back, but the rest we near gimmes.

Canucks are playing fine against other rusty teams, San Jose had a bunch of guys already in game shape. They will cool down when the other teams get into form.

The Sedins are money in the bank, they destroyed Anaheim and will bounce back just fine. 2 of those posts go in and it's a much different game. The team is plenty feisty and plenty big enough, they make teams pay on the PP and last night it wasn't clicking. If LAK give up 6 PPs tonight look out.

I'm excited for Booth and Kesler to get back just as the team is rounding into shape, Booth brings size and speed with a good shot and we all know what Kesler brings. The emergence of the kids is great and adds depth and experience, also many line options. A healthy lineup looks great.

Sedins-Kassian
Booth-Kes-Higgins
Hansen-Schroeder-Burr
Volpatti-Lappiere-Weise

Manny/Raymond

That's a championship calibre forward group if healthy. The only room for improvement I can see is to get a pass first right wing for the second line.
Posted Image
Credit to Goaltenderinterference for the awesome Sig!

#177 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:24 AM

AV should have called a timeout right after the 2nd goal to rally the team.

I thought that too at the time but he didn't and the team rallied back just fine and ended up scoring the next goal. After the second goal we actually started playing good and dominated most of the second period. We didnt win the game but they didnt pile on goals after the second goal so his hunch decision was right.

Calling out the coach for not doing something when it his decision ended up turning out correct Is kinda dumb IMO

#178 stawns

stawns

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,926 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:38 AM

I thought that too at the time but he didn't and the team rallied back just fine and ended up scoring the next goal. After the second goal we actually started playing good and dominated most of the second period. We didnt win the game but they didnt pile on goals after the second goal so his hunch decision was right.

Calling out the coach for not doing something when it his decision ended up turning out correct Is kinda dumb IMO

Not to mention it's not football, you only get one again. What happens if the Nucks claw back into the game, and need that TO late in the game with an o-zone faceoff?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.