The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks D-Man Overpaid?

Patrick Jane

Bieksa is also a special kind of defenseman, which is why he's being paid $4.6. For all the defensive lapses he goes through from time to time, he's an underrated offensive defenseman, and I'm not just talking about the points. He's a great skating defenseman who, if you pay attention, is adept at skating the puck into the zone and creating chances. He also adds a toughness element that none of our other defenseman have and is usually only reserved for bottom pairing depth defensemen.

Basically, you have a smooth skating, 40+ point defenseman who can play the PP, the PK and fight. That's why he gets paid the big bucks and that's why I'm glad to have him in Vancouver. Some of you don't realize it but you expect perfection from every player. If none of our players had the shortcomings you all love to point out, the Canucks would have a 100+ million dollar payroll because the roster would be made up of all the best players in the NHL. Start looking at the unique traits some of the Canucks' players bring to the table and take the bad with the loads of good.

I don't think any of the Dmen besides Ballard are individually overpaid, but I do think Gillis might be overspending for the defense in general. Take away Ballard - I realize he IS playing well! - and the defense payroll looks a bit better.

Even though they're not playing like it lately, guys, the Canucks have a stellar defense core and that's why they're all paid what they are. It's not like Gillis is handing out stupid contracts, although I'll maybe concede that Garrison isn't quite worth his dough...yet. Quite simply, the top 4 just needs to get their heads out of their asses and start playing the way they can. Don't make the mistake of thinking that at the moment Edler, Hamhuis and Bieksa are all playing to their absolute capabilities and as such aren't worth what they're being paid.

The biggest problem is that 2 out of our top 4 defenceman can't play defence. That would be Edler and Bieksa. You can usually hide one liability in your top 4 if he makes up for it on offence, and maybe one more guy in the bottom pairing but not 2 in the top 4.

I think a good comparable for Edler would be Joni Pitkanen. They're both undoubtedly talented, #1 defensemen but neither are in the elite tier because they're too inconsistent defensively.

Call me crazy, but I think even more ice time would be beneficial for Edler. Some of you may not be believers, but I'm convinced Edler has what it takes to be in that top tier of defensemen and I just think he needs to be thrown into the fire a bit more to figure it all out. Give him 25+ minutes game in and game out and watch him find another level in his game. It may not happen until late this season or even into next season but it will happen. None of the current elite D-Men became what they are without their coaches heaping tons of responsibilities on them and taking/accepting the gaffes that come with the learning process.

Especially if AV is now going to put Hamhuis and Edler together, the club's two best defensemen, he might as well give those two the lions share of the minutes.

I hate responses that don't look at the whole picture. You guys are dumping on the defensemen, without addressing the whole problem. First of all, the forwards need to be collasping closer to the net when required and near the points at other times. Included in that is a hard back check to help out the "D".

And as you witnessed last night, when we skate and control the puck, our defensemen look just great, and don't get put into those bad spots. Do they make mistakes yes! Like all D men. But remember, both Anahiem and the sharks are bigger teams, and the Canucks need to play accordinly.

Last point in that assistant coach Newell, is in charge of special teams....how is that working out these day? If the D were in a tighter offensive box???position then the other goalies would not have such along time to wait for the puck, and the D man would be Teeing it up alot closr to the goal. 4 of them 5 of us on the PP.

And my last, last point is we still need that big nasty Dman that can handle 15 minutes a game, and play the penalty kill.....I think we get out sized low against the bigger teams.

Is it all the D-fensemens fault ....no........would you rather have Calgarys or Torontos etc....

I think a good comparable for Edler would be Joni Pitkanen. They're both undoubtedly talented, #1 defensemen but neither are in the elite tier because they're too inconsistent defensively.

Call me crazy, but I think even more ice time would be beneficial for Edler. Some of you may not be believers, but I'm convinced Edler has what it takes to be in that top tier of defensemen and I just think he needs to be thrown into the fire a bit more to figure it all out. Give him 25+ minutes game in and game out and watch him find another level in his game. It may not happen until late this season or even into next season but it will happen. None of the current elite D-Men became what they are without their coaches heaping tons of responsibilities on them and taking/accepting the gaffes that come with the learning process.

Especially if AV is now going to put Hamhuis and Edler together, the club's two best defensemen, he might as well give those two the lions share of the minutes.

Never been a fan of Bieksa though. I personally always thought of him as a bum. Aside from his goal against San Jose in 2011 in the playoffs, and his badass fight after he "shhh'd" the crowd, he's never done anything I've liked.

5 games in and people want to blow up our defence core.

Both Edler and Bieksa would have been snatched up in free agency and would be making at least what they are with the Canucks.

Tough, high scoring D men are in big demand. They are core players and trading them would have a very negative affect on the team.

Archived