The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks D-Man Overpaid?

Patrick Jane

On a personal level I've always enjoyed KB3, he's hilarious. However, IMHO, I think he's not nearly as good of a d-man as Hamhuis.

Edler keeps proving that he's a good goal scorer but not much of a defender. How about we try him as a center? :P

I've been impressed with Ballard this year and of course, Tanev.

Garrison... too early to tell for me. He hasn't bone-headed out too much like KB3, but he hasn't really done much either.

Canucks 8 D-Man

Alex Edler- 5 Million

Jason Garrison- 4.6 Million

Kevin Bieska- 4.6 Million

Dan Hamhuis- 4.5 Million

Keith Ballard-4.2 Million

Andrew Alberts-1,225,000 Million

Chris Tanev- 900,000

Cam Barker- 700,000 (48 Games)

Im Certain the Canucks pay there d man the most in the league. But Bieska, Ballard and maybe Garrison arent worth that much at all.

Bieska is between a 2.5 to 3.5 million

Ballard- 2 to 3 Million

Garrison- 3 to 4 Million

So is our D- Man Overpaid?

Solution is to trade lu and ballard for a key 2nd line forward and prospects/Picks

Lu and Ballard cap= is just over 9.5 Million in Cap.

On a personal level I've always enjoyed KB3, he's hilarious. However, IMHO, I think he's not nearly as good of a d-man as Hamhuis.

Edler keeps proving that he's a good goal scorer but not much of a defender. How about we try him as a center? :P

I've been impressed with Ballard this year and of course, Tanev.

Garrison... too early to tell for me. He hasn't bone-headed out too much like KB3, but he hasn't really done much either.

Alex Edler- Is worth 5m when he plays his game and physical. Not to mention he racks up a lot of points.

Jason Garrison- 4.6m is definitely overpaying for a 1 hit wonder. The only reason Canucks went after him thought, is probably because Salo signed in Tampa.

Kevin Bieska- 4.6m is overpayment for Bieksa. 3.5 - 4 for the most part. He has his occassional good game, but usually is carried by his D partner and makes a lot of questionable plays.

Dan Hamhuis- 4.5m is worth every penny. Hands down the best player on this team in the defensive zone.

Keith Ballard-4.2m is obviously an overpayment on this team. Top 4 it probably wouldn't be bad, but he needs to be moved to relieve cap for our new contracts next season.

Andrew Alberts-1,225,000m hasn't even played this season yet IIRC. Not really worth it if he never plays. Wouldn't be bad if he was sitting in the minors not counting against the cap.

Chris Tanev- 900,000k is obviously good. He's probably the most consistent Dman next to Hamhuis. Just has to get his offensive game going.

Cam Barker- 700,000 (48 Games) Only time will tell.

I love how people will say a player is overpaid by like 500k. Really? You're that much of a contract expert that you know this?

Honestly the way Bieksa, Edler, and Garrison played tonight, they wouldn't be worth 2 million. But it's one game. Does it mean their value is defined by that one game? No it doesn't.

Edler will likely put up 30+ points, Garrison hopefully 20+ points, and Bieksa 20+ points. Two bad giveaways doesn't take away from their value. They'll all settle into things as they go along. It's only 5 games in.

I admit, Edler, WHEN on his game can be the best D-Man in the league, however the keyword there is "WHEN," which is few and far games between.

Never been a fan of Bieksa though. I personally always thought of him as a bum. Aside from his goal against San Jose in 2011 in the playoffs, and his badass fight after he "shhh'd" the crowd, he's never done anything I've liked.

Based on their last 2 or 3 seasons of play, and what other D-men make around the league, here's what they all deserve:

Edler - 5 million. Would be 6 if he wasn't so crap defensively this year.

Garrison - 3.5 million. Had one good year, THAT'S IT! Even 3 million is pushing it for a one-hit wonder.

Hamhuis - 4.5 million, if not 5. Amazing defence and he's around a 0.5 point per game guy now. Still underated on this team.

Bieksa - 3 million. Good for 40 points but brutal on defence.

Ballard - 1.5 million. No offence, shocking defence, this one's obvious.

Tanev - 1 million. Best defender on our team but still no offence.

Alberts - 600K. Doesn't play enough to earn in the millions.

He's done alot I liked, and I like him but I think he should be considered as a guy to potentially move in the offseason if Ballard continues to play like this. (Could also get some nicer pieces back in a trade)

For every good game he has he has 2-5 bad/mediocre ones, and that's not good for a guy playing our biggest and most important minutes with Hammer.

Archived