The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks D-Man Overpaid?

Patrick Jane

Bieksa has hit 40+ points three times in his career. He is known to be a physical player, who can hit and fight. Leader, and liked by his team-mates. Although he has defensive lapses, hes proven to be able to play in a top pairing shut-down role (with Mitchell and Hamhuis)

4.6 is not bad at all.

Comparables:

Goligoski (4.6)

Coburn (4.5)

Komisarek (4.5)

Hainsey (4.5)

Kaberle (4.25)

Volchenkov (4.25)

Martin (5)

Tyutin (4.5)

It's funny that people say Ballard is overpaid, even though he has been playing closer to his money than either Bieksa or Edler.

They look lost out there. Bieksa especially. He has been a non factor defensively and his poor decisions with penalties have cost the Canucks.

Edler's giveaway right in front of Schneider was horrible. Cory played a solid game, and he got beat on hard goals.

These mistakes wreak of the playoffs.

If they can't find some consistency this year, I would trade Edler and top 6 forward (Booth, Raymond, Higgins) and Schroeder for Shea Weber on July 1st.

then

Bieksa, Alberts, and either Gaunce or Mallet to Winnipeg for Evander Kane.

Sedin - Sedin - Kane

Burrows - Kesler - Kassian

Hansen - Lapierre - Higgins

Volpatti - Malholtra - Weise

Weber - Garrison

Ballard - Hamhuis

Tanev - Vandermeer/Connauton/Corrado

Barker

Schneider

Lack

Not all defensemen are overpaid...

Bieksa- Overpaid, I notice that Bieksa plays best hockey when it is a contract year. Outside of that he plays like average defensemen, his salary should have been 3.75 or 4 million.

Edler- Not Overpaid, he is good defensemen and is still young. 5 million after this year is not bad, good deal for both sides.

Hamhuis- Not Overpaid, he is worth every single cent. Good defensemen and helps Bieksa look better than he is.

Garrison- Too soon to tell, he has only been a Canuck for a couple of games and we cannot say if he is overpaid or not yet.

Ballard- Not Overpaid (at the moment), but last year he was. He would be very good if he was making under 4 million.

Tanev- Not Overpaid, he makes less than 1 million and is very consistent. One of the most calm and dependable defenseman on Canucks roster.

With the Salary Cap going down the amount it is, some of these players are definitely overpaid.

Ballard is obvious, but we didn't offer him that money.

Garrison and Bieksa are both overpaid, given a reduced cap.

Same can be said about Booth, though...

The problem is that the Canucks have SIX top-4 guys, meaning 2 of them will be under-utilized, with Ballard being the obvious one.

The 3rd pairing usually contribute the least, hence it would seem like the Canucks are overpaying for them (relative for what they bring).

While it may seem like a good idea to just have 2 minimal salary guys as your bottom pairing, it would be very taxing on your top-4, eg. 2010 Flyers when they had Ryan Parent and Lukas Krajicek as the #5/6.

Canucks 8 D-Man

Alex Edler- 5 Million

Jason Garrison- 4.6 Million

Kevin Bieska- 4.6 Million

Dan Hamhuis- 4.5 Million

Keith Ballard-4.2 Million

Andrew Alberts-1,225,000 Million

Chris Tanev- 900,000

Cam Barker- 700,000 (48 Games)

Im Certain the Canucks pay there d man the most in the league. But Bieska, Ballard and maybe Garrison arent worth that much at all.

Bieska is between a 2.5 to 3.5 million

Ballard- 2 to 3 Million

Garrison- 3 to 4 Million

So is our D- Man Overpaid?

Solution is to trade lu and ballard for a key 2nd line forward and prospects/Picks

Lu and Ballard cap= is just over 9.5 Million in Cap.

It's funny that people say Ballard is overpaid, even though he has been playing closer to his money than either Bieksa or Edler.

They look lost out there. Bieksa especially. He has been a non factor defensively and his poor decisions with penalties have cost the Canucks.

Edler's giveaway right in front of Schneider was horrible. Cory played a solid game, and he got beat on hard goals.

These mistakes wreak of the playoffs.

If they can't find some consistency this year, I would trade Edler and top 6 forward (Booth, Raymond, Higgins) and Schroeder for Shea Weber on July 1st.

then

Bieksa, Alberts, and either Gaunce or Mallet to Winnipeg for Evander Kane.

Sedin - Sedin - Kane

Burrows - Kesler - Kassian

Hansen - Lapierre - Higgins

Volpatti - Malholtra - Weise

Weber - Garrison

Ballard - Hamhuis

Tanev - Vandermeer/Connauton/Corrado

Barker

Schneider

Lack

Bieksa and Garrison are overpaid, but their UFA (or pending UFA) status game them leverage.

Bieksa to me is worth 3.5 (lots of his point came off Sedins' play)

Garrison 3-3.5 (unless he regroup and start playing like last year)

Ballard is obviously overpaid.

Ballard = bought out this summer with cap going down.

The problem is we dont have a real #1 defenseman. We have 4 number 2-3 with Edler(2), Hamhuis(2), Bieksa(3), Garrison(3-4).

Other teams pays their #1 D 6-7M, and their 4th 2-3M. While we pay all 4, 4-5M.

Still i'd rather have a true #1 and less depth at #4-5 than what we have now, but those players dont come around often and are impossible to get, unless overpaying.

I don't think any of the Dmen besides Ballard are individually overpaid, but I do think Gillis might be overspending for the defense in general. Take away Ballard - I realize he IS playing well! - and the defense payroll looks a bit better.

Even though they're not playing like it lately, guys, the Canucks have a stellar defense core and that's why they're all paid what they are. It's not like Gillis is handing out stupid contracts, although I'll maybe concede that Garrison isn't quite worth his dough...yet. Quite simply, the top 4 just needs to get their heads out of their asses and start playing the way they can. Don't make the mistake of thinking that at the moment Edler, Hamhuis and Bieksa are all playing to their absolute capabilities and as such aren't worth what they're being paid.

Archived