Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * - - - 3 votes

Another Great Schneider Start - Who starts next?

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 The Creature Blue Lagoon

The Creature Blue Lagoon

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:18 PM

Just wanted to post out of frustration as we have been discussing the goalie situation for a while here at CDC.

Tonight against the Sharks showed us yet again that Cory is not prepared to be the starter that everyone thinks he is. Moreover, I think this game showed, yet again, how Cory is not far and away better than Luongo.

With us digging deeper and deeper within a shortened season, I'm left wondering how much longer will the Cory starting experiment last? Will we begin to see a true competition for the starting position?

Theortecially, what happens when Luo starts and dominates the net (its bound to happen in a season), will AV allow him to continue starting. As a paying fan I first and foremost want the team to win, I don't care who starts, but when we have a team that is committed to a goaltender that is clearly not ready, we have a problem?

Thoughts?

Edited by scarface173, 27 January 2013 - 09:21 PM.

#2 Captain Aerosex

Captain Aerosex

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,620 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:19 PM

POPULAR

Thoughts?

You're dumb.

EDIT: To be fair to you, I'll explain why. The D played horribly! And don't accuse me of bashing Luongo and defending Schneider, because I support both goalies. When this kind of debacle happened in front of Luongo, I was one of those who wouldn't blame him for the loss. When this happens in front of Schneider, I'll give him the same fair treatment. Canucks staff and management has made it clear Schneider is our starter this season. While it's not set in stone, it means we aren't flip flopping over ever bad-looking game on his part or every good-looking one on Luongo's part. Roberto will get the start tomorrow because it's a back-to-back, and unless he plays ridiculously well and makes it clear he's in a zone, he won't be getting the next start against Colorado.

Why? Because Schneider hasn't proven himself incapable. He had a bad game against Anaheim, played great against Calgary and Anaheim, and couldn't do much tonight. So unless he starts to crumble horribly or Luongo stands on his head against the defending champs and wins us the game, he'll continue to get the starts (barring situations such as back-to-backs, or he's just started lots of games in a row).

There. That's why I think you're dumb.

Edited by Witchcraft and Sedinery, 27 January 2013 - 09:27 PM.

Posted Image

#3 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64,604 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:21 PM

Luongo starts tomorrow.

Even if Schneider won today, Luongo would still tomorrow since it's back to back. Kinda obvious..
Posted Image

#4 Dayman

Dayman

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:22 PM

gtfo OP. seriously, get out of here.

#5 AllHailSmyl

AllHailSmyl

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,667 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:23 PM

Patrick Roy could've been in net, if the team in front of him was playing like the Canucks did tonight the situation would've been the same.

By the way learn how to spell SHIRIKOV who is this shirakov

Amazingly on his first shift Kassian would have had a breakaway if Kesler knew how to pass. And he still got switched with Weiss. And note it is "Weiss" not "Wise".

#6 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Not a great game by Schneids but it wasn't anywhere near all on him, Luongo is starting tomorrow and would have been anyways it's back to back

#7 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,202 posts

POPULAR

Cory played a fine game, wake up.

#8 stexx

stexx

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:24 PM

i.... nevermind not even worth it :picard:

#9 The Creature Blue Lagoon

The Creature Blue Lagoon

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:24 PM

So Luo starts tommorow (you're all right, he would have anyways), what happens if he plays lights-out? What then?

P.S. Wake up, he wasn't great by any stretch (4th goal was ugly!).

Edited by scarface173, 27 January 2013 - 09:25 PM.

#10 Pears

Pears

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,841 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:25 PM

:picard:
Posted Image

Credit to (>'-')> for the amazing sig!!

#11 VancouverStyle

VancouverStyle

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:25 PM

San Jose is off to a great start on this shortened season.

The Canucks are missing 2 of its top 6 players.

I was expecting our team to stumble of the gate to start the season.

When are Kesler and Booth expected to return again?

#12 TLindenIsGod

TLindenIsGod

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:26 PM

Thoughts?

Plug your ears to prevent thoughts like this from escaping your brain again.

#13 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

So Luo starts tommorow (you're all right, he would have anyways), what happens if he plays lights-out? What then?

then they'll probably give Luongo more games than they planned on?

wouldn't be that surprised if they split it pretty much 50/50 all year

#14 Markus Alexander Cody

Markus Alexander Cody

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,640 posts

I actually would've thought Luongo would start tonight instead of Schneider but it's PRETTY DAMN OBVIOUS that on a back to back night, the other goalie would start the following game after the first goalie gets a start.

It's like asking Calgary who would start tomorrow if Kiprusoff just played tonight. Definitely not Kipper because he's old and any goalie can't handle back to back nights, especially on the road.

Posted Image

credit to allons-y

View PostMarkus Alexander Cody, on 19 July 2010 - 11:34 PM, said:

Certainly going to be our #1 defensemen. Give him a couple more years to improve his game and he'll be our new and improved version of Matthias Ohlund in no time

Posted Image

^Truth

#15 Markus Alexander Cody

Markus Alexander Cody

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,640 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:27 PM

If Luongo plays lights out, it'll be a decision on AV on who gives the Canucks a better chance to win at home against the Avs, and then the Blackhawks. Obviously Schneider is the man that most people are counting on him getting the start. But Luongo does play better at home against the Hawks than in Chicago.

Posted Image

credit to allons-y

Certainly going to be our #1 defensemen. Give him a couple more years to improve his game and he'll be our new and improved version of Matthias Ohlund in no time

Posted Image

^Truth

#16 Dragonfruits

Dragonfruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,204 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:28 PM

wasn't great but was good enough to win the team wasn't

Edited by captaincanuck88, 27 January 2013 - 09:28 PM.

#17 marcus16

marcus16

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:28 PM

POPULAR

It's crazy how everyone jumps to defends Schneider, but never gave Luongo the same "benefit of the doubt".

#18 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,904 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:29 PM

omgz.....what if lu starts tomorrow (would anyway) and we win?!?!?

OMGZ!! what if he starts and get lit by the kings???? you know? the team that beat us last year in the playoffs????

oh the media! oh the controversy!!

head explosions everywhere!!!!!!!!

Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#19 Markus Alexander Cody

Markus Alexander Cody

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,640 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:29 PM

POPULAR

It's crazy how everyone jumps to defends Schneider, but never gave Luongo the same "benefit of the doubt".

Because Luongo is, unfortunately, one of our fanbases scapegoat now. I'm going to defend Luongo 100% until the day he is no longer a Canuck, either retirement or trade. Luongo is my goalie. He's my #1 goalie. He will always be my starter.

Posted Image

credit to allons-y

Posted Image

^Truth

#20 The Creature Blue Lagoon

The Creature Blue Lagoon

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:30 PM

If Luongo plays lights out, it'll be a decision on AV on who gives the Canucks a better chance to win at home against the Avs, and then the Blackhawks. Obviously Schneider is the man that most people are counting on him getting the start. But Luongo does play better at home against the Hawks than in Chicago.

Ya, but Kipper is old, Cory isn't. Plus Luo used to play back to backs.

Plus Cory was playing in Europe so he can't be that rusty that he can't play b to b's.

#21 Caboose

Caboose

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,608 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:31 PM

Cory is not far and away better than Luongo.

No one with sense thinks he is.

I always thought the issue was salary and age.

f54xok.jpg

Vintage Canuck

#22 Tiers

Tiers

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:32 PM

I think this proves it was never Luongo, and for that matter schneids fault...you really cant win them all single handedly. The Canucks have faltered scoring for a long time now ....seems there is no desire to try to come back in games for over 2 years. I always said we lost the cup in the finals, not from goaltending, but from a lack of scoring effort. Winning presidents trophy you could say was more because we had Luo and Schneids playing above everyone else on the team.

What a mess we have created yet again .chasing our best goalies out of town. Schneider doesnt stand a chance in Vancouver when we turn on him and Luongo is winning elsewhere.

Not jumping ship on our team just pointing out we have a serious problem brewing for the last 2 years... I just dont understand what has happened to our leaders, maybe it is coaching gone stale ....let the leaders sort it out ya right how bout kicksome serious ass in the dressing room.

#23 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,079 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:33 PM

This simply isn't true, I don't think you or anyone actually believes it is. Luongo was treated like a god here.

#24 The Creature Blue Lagoon

The Creature Blue Lagoon

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:34 PM

So true!!!

#25 Markus Alexander Cody

Markus Alexander Cody

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,640 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:34 PM

Ya, but Kipper is old, Cory isn't. Plus Luo used to play back to backs.

Plus Cory was playing in Europe so he can't be that rusty that he can't play b to b's.

Age doesn't matter if your team has a back to back. It's 99.99% obvious that the other goalie will get the start the following night regardless of the outcome.

When has Luongo played back to back for us as a Canuck? Maybe the first year he was here but he was in his prime. Not sure if you remember but we had a TERRIBLE backup in Dany Sabourin. And so what if Cory played in Europe? Does that mean he's in midseason form? No. Shouldn't he be more tired then since he played more than Luongo has?

I dunno if you noticed but parts of last year and the year before that, when Schneider was our backup, every time Schneider came in to play, he was 100% sharp. Regardless of how many games he had to sit before he finally got the chance to play. Schneider is the kind of guy that makes the most of his opportunities when he gets it and will always be 100% to play regardless of how many games he hasn't played.

Posted Image

credit to allons-y

Posted Image

^Truth

#26 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,202 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:36 PM

Never gave Lou the benefit of the doubt? C'mon it took 4 years of subpar playoff performances before people turned on him. To jump on Cory is just obscured, like Lou has ever played well at the start of the season. Do you watch the Canucks?

#27 Rypien37

Rypien37

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,278 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:36 PM

Further and further proof.....we have by far....THE WORST fans in the league....
Posted Image

R.I.P. Your heart and fearlessness will be remembered

#28 Markus Alexander Cody

Markus Alexander Cody

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,640 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:37 PM

Further and further proof.....we have by far....THE WORST fans in the league....

You can add dumbest as well. Not saying everyone here is dumb, I'm just talking about the select 5% of our fanbase that overreacts at everything and makes stupid comments/threads.

Posted Image

credit to allons-y

Posted Image

^Truth

#29 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,202 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:38 PM

You may be right.

#30 RockNroLLa.

RockNroLLa.

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:38 PM

:picard:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.