The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Another Great Schneider Start - Who starts next?

The Creature Blue Lagoon

Just wanted to post out of frustration as we have been discussing the goalie situation for a while here at CDC.

Tonight against the Sharks showed us yet again that Cory is not prepared to be the starter that everyone thinks he is. Moreover, I think this game showed, yet again, how Cory is not far and away better than Luongo.

With us digging deeper and deeper within a shortened season, I'm left wondering how much longer will the Cory starting experiment last? Will we begin to see a true competition for the starting position?

Theortecially, what happens when Luo starts and dominates the net (its bound to happen in a season), will AV allow him to continue starting. As a paying fan I first and foremost want the team to win, I don't care who starts, but when we have a team that is committed to a goaltender that is clearly not ready, we have a problem?

Thoughts?

I find this thread comical.

After the playoffs last year, not a single person blamed Schneider for the losses, but gave it to Luongo instead.

Everyone always said the D wasn't at fault and that it was all Luongo, now we have the same thing with Schneider.

I am Luongo fan, but I like Schneider also, both are good goalies, we should realize that the goalies aren't always to blame. Where are the goals, where is the backchecking from forwards, where is the defense?

All are questions which should have been asked when Luongo was goalie and now everybody freaking out. This is a clear sign that Canucks need goal scoring and need consistent defense. We have good defense but not all are very consistent, most consistent pair this year is Ballard-Tanev. Worst defensemen have been Bieksa and Garrison, while Hamhuis and Edler have been decent. Where is the 5 goal performance we got vs Ducks, we need more of it and from everybody.

Goalies aren't the problem, it is the inconsistent play of this team and that has been the problem almost every single year. Don't blame goalies for every lose and then forget about them when we win.

This team always seems to lack consistency for the first 4-6 weeks. I wouldn't read too much into it. We're going to play our usual .500 hockey until mid-February then we'll be unstoppable for a few months just like every other year, IMO.

That said, I would've rather have seen Lu in net tonight and Schneider in net tomorrow given their historical play against those respective teams, but Schneids was coming off the shutout, so c'est la vie.

Archived