#1 Ugli Fruit

Ugli Fruit

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,849 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:36 PM

We hit what, 2, 3 posts?

And Burrows got really unlucky too (where Raymond spinorama passed to him). Niemi is garbage, he got super lucky.

Also, Edler is known to have occasional stinkers. While this isn't a good excuse at all, we know that a lot of the problems observed tonight are outliers. Edler was directly responsible for one or two goals, and we know this play won't happen the next game.

Schneider didn't play like last year's Schneider, but at the same time, I think our D is still getting to know the game better. Ballard and Tanev should be getting more ice time. They deserve it.

Unfortunately, I had work, so I missed the game, but from the highlights, what I could deduce was:

- PP sucked
- Defense sucked
- Schneider was average
- Sedins didn't do anything (clarify for me?)
- Raymond looked fine (once again, clarify for me?)
- Hansen looked pretty good
- Ballard looked pretty good

We can take away some positives from that list. The PP and defense has been shaky the whole season so far. We need to give it more time. But, Hansen and Ballard are looking solid (especially Hansen; this is a boost to us because he wasn't doing well in the first few games), and so far it seems Raymond's good form is not a lucky accident, but the result of his effort.

Yes, we got wrecked in our own zone. But we had some terrible luck. We exposed the Sharks D at least once on the Hansen breakaway (great pass by Ballard btw), and if a couple bounces went our way, Hansen has a goal, Ballard has a goal, our PP went at least 1/7, and the game suddenly looks way closer.

Thread not meant to be blind homerism positive. It was meant to point out that the game wasn't as bad as it seemed.

Edited by LordofBrussels, 27 January 2013 - 11:37 PM.

Formerly known as LordofBrussels

There we have it folks, we have literally blamed everyone for everything at this point

Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#2 NucksBrass

NucksBrass

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:37 PM

if mark gillis trad 4 kovalev jovanovski an nabokov we win games i tel u

#3 Salter

Salter

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:42 PM

5 posts, if those went in it would have been 6-4 aha. but you cant win 'em all!

#4 Maninthebox

Maninthebox

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:46 PM

PP was ok, a bit slow, had chances and found iron
Defense was weak, (Edler's gaff was terrible but it also shows his confidence trying to make that play...very optimistic view right there)
Schneids played well, didn't make that 'great save' that might have built momentum, no real mistakes
Sedins were limited, Kassian was unimpressive though he did try to spark the team
Raymond, Hansen, Ballard, Burrows all looked pretty good
Lappy shouldn't be allowed any hot water for his shower
Ebbett, Higgins, Schroeder barely visible
Volpatti may have peed himself once he realized who he just punched in the face...

Game could have gone our way, they had chances. Can't win em all.

#5 Brick Tamland

Brick Tamland

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:51 PM

Schneider made some tremendous saves, but he also was overplaying a little and the D errors didn't help. The Sedins need to go back to Burrows. Put Kassian with Schroeder as they played together in Chicago and with a little puck luck tonight we may have stole a point.

Credit to SJ, they are on fire right now and played a real good game. Can't win them all...

Hopefully Lu plays well tomorrow.
I Love Lamp...

#6 250Integra

250Integra

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,924 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:52 PM

POPULAR

It's past your bedtime.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Thanks for the Memories Canada!!!
Thanks for everything Naslund!
Original creator of the WWE and the Rate my sig / Showoff thread

#7 Alexander.Edler

Alexander.Edler

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:54 PM

posts: hansen breakaway, schroeder pp, hansen pass to higgins, edler pp, and another one cant remember

terrible luck

Posted Image

#8 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,204 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:56 PM

If we didn't give the game away so early, we might have had a chance. Those giveaways were brutal.
Posted ImagePosted Image
---------------------------------------------------

#9 Danthecanucksfan

Danthecanucksfan

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,305 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:00 AM

posts: hansen breakaway, schroeder pp, hansen pass to higgins, edler pp, and another one cant remember

terrible luck

Garisson, crossbar.

#10 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,991 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:02 AM

Did you being at work also cause you to be unable to see the PGT already in full swing? I have a feeling people are already talking about how many posts we hit, what we did well, and what we did bad in that thread.

Edited by elvis15, 28 January 2013 - 12:04 AM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#11 GrooveC

GrooveC

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:05 AM

I would argue that this game was as bad as it seemed. Certainly all the *ping* posts were near goals and had fate deigned skinnier goal posts we might have ended the game in better shape. However, I also saw terrible D on our part, little to no offensive output from our go-to players and a general lack of cohesion (Sloppy passing, weak plays, not enough effort, out muscled).

I think this game looked as bad as it was, and I watched every second of it that was broadcast.

with that said, we could rebound next game and go undefeated for 3-5 straight fr all I know.

Edited by GrooveC, 28 January 2013 - 12:06 AM.

#12 kmotamed

kmotamed

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,979 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:06 AM

I think Luongo should have started tonight and AV should have given tomorrow nights' game to Cory. Makes more sense, match-up wise. We know Lu can outplay Niemi, and he's proved it. But neither goalie did particularly well against the Kings, so why not throw in Schneider then, since apparently nobody blames him for losses.

If Luongo had lost that way tonight, which I know would not have happened, a good percentage of the fans would be asking for his head on a platter. The simple fact is that Schneids, while we know has potential, is playing very inconsistently. I would go with Luongo for a few games in a row and let him get on a roll.

#13 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,224 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:09 AM

- PP sucked
- Defense sucked
- Schneider was average
- Sedins didn't do anything (clarify for me?)
- Raymond looked fine (once again, clarify for me?)
- Hansen looked pretty good
- Ballard looked pretty good

- PP was beyond Brutal
- Defense was bad (everyone except Ballard and Tanev)
- Schneider was great
- Sedin's looked fine IMO, except on the PP
- Raymond continues to be one of our better players
- Hansen had his best game
- Ballard had a good game, as did Tanev

Also:

- Schroeder was really good, our best forward IMO, probably our best player for the role he played, got a few shifts on the PP with the twins, showed his shot by hitting the post.
- AV once again failed to make necessary tweaks/changes, also didn't call a time-out when we needed it and failed to get us regrouped and refocused aswell as he failed to get us mentally prepared IMO.
- Had a great 2nd half of 1st and carried the play in the 2nd until the Lappy penalty.
- Hit like 5 or 6 posts, could have easily been a Vancouver victory. But they still earned the win and deserved it IMO.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 28 January 2013 - 12:11 AM.

zackass.png

#14 GoCanucksGo#1

GoCanucksGo#1

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:09 AM

Just an unlucky game. Tomorrow, I would LOVE to see a W in LA!

#15 Ugli Fruit

Ugli Fruit

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,849 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:13 AM

Did you being at work also cause you to be unable to see the PGT already in full swing? I have a feeling people are already talking about how many posts we hit, what we did well, and what we did bad in that thread.

CDC is once again a clusterf*ck. This goes unnoticed on PGT. Thread still has enough substance IMO to kept.

Formerly known as LordofBrussels

There we have it folks, we have literally blamed everyone for everything at this point

Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#16 ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:24 AM

I enjoyed it. Did you see when Hansen cross-checked the official right in the numbers? And Bieksa ducked that punch? And Clowe's hilarious meltdown? What a good game. We could easily have won, what with all the posts and SJS' lucky-bounce goals. I ain't even upset.

Ceterum censeo Chicaginem delendam esse

#17 Bure fan

Bure fan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:26 AM

http://m.youtube.com...h?v=-be9Yi5hl28

Edited by Bure fan, 28 January 2013 - 12:30 AM.

#10 Pavel Bure #96

Posted Image

#18 Zack_Kassians_Elbow

Zack_Kassians_Elbow

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:42 AM

I would argue that this game was as bad as it seemed. Certainly all the *ping* posts were near goals and had fate deigned skinnier goal posts we might have ended the game in better shape. However, I also saw terrible D on our part, little to no offensive output from our go-to players and a general lack of cohesion (Sloppy passing, weak plays, not enough effort, out muscled).

I think this game looked as bad as it was, and I watched every second of it that was broadcast.

with that said, we could rebound next game and go undefeated for 3-5 straight fr all I know.

I also watched every second of the broadcast and i gotta disagree, sure we were terrible in the 1st period but we took it to them in the second doing everything but only getting one goal, then the Sharks get a fluke goal and take the momentum back. The third period was also fairly evenly played. A few bounces our way and it's a completely different game, For those who think the Canucks are intimidated by physical teams need only look at tonights game, outhit the sharks badly and didn't hesitate to fight any of the Sharks.

#19 GrooveC

GrooveC

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:16 AM

I also watched every second of the broadcast and i gotta disagree, sure we were terrible in the 1st period but we took it to them in the second doing everything but only getting one goal, then the Sharks get a fluke goal and take the momentum back. The third period was also fairly evenly played. A few bounces our way and it's a completely different game, For those who think the Canucks are intimidated by physical teams need only look at tonights game, outhit the sharks badly and didn't hesitate to fight any of the Sharks.

I don't disagree that the team turned a corner sometime after the first period but it wasn't a transition from meh to great. It was from down right terrible to mediocre with a few moments of good play. I didn't see any sweet lovin'. I did see a bushel of weak passes in all three periods and the 4-1 final doesn't resonate on the fluke frequency, at least in my book.

I'll be quite content after the game where all the flukes and luck went against us yet the team looked like they should have been wearing gold plated jerseys and top hats (i.e., playing like bosses, crisp plays and a overall solid game), of course those games don't tend to have all the luck flowing in the wrong direction. Oddly enough a good team seems to manifest it's own luck.

Edited to add:

I'd love to see the even strength zone time stats for this game, a guy can dream...

Edited by GrooveC, 28 January 2013 - 01:26 AM.

#20 supermanbieksa

supermanbieksa

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:39 AM

I do agree with at some points, but you shouldn't make too big of a analysis after watching the highlights. Because I think Schneider played well, some great point-blanc saves and couldn't do much on tje goals as the defence was brutal at some points. Schroeder was okay, quite good in the end of first to end of second period.

It was a fun game to watch, loves the physical aspect of this game, no second thoughts!

#21 Dazzle

Dazzle

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,751 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:55 AM

I do agree with the opinions presented in this thread.

But let's put it into perspective. Edler gave away the puck - cost a goal. Garrison gave away the puck - cost a goal. These were only a few minutes in time.

Both these giveaways are from expensive defensemen. They were sloppy plays that Tanev (and to an extent Ballard when paired with Tanev) did not reproduce in this game.

Lapierre took an untimely and very unnecessary penalty which killed the momentum and cost us a goal. He did nothing for us this game and he usually does produce, so it was definitely an off-game for him. He's not super expensive but not cheap.

Raymond took a bad penalty too when he could have easily let the guy go - it was a race to the puck to the corner, not to the slot. It was just a lazy penalty. Raymond had a great game last game, but a very mediocre to bad game in SJ.

Sedins were "ok" offensively but they were running around defensively (which in their defense, wouldn't have happened if the defense helped them out).

Hamhuis and Bieksa were invisible basically.

Schroeder and Hansen were the best two forwards in this game for the Canucks while Ballard/Tanev were the best defensemen.

Ebbett was fairly invisible, but he had some strong forecheck moments and didn't cost us a goal/penalty unlike some of the above regulars.

IMHO... Edler deserves some flack for the giveaways he's been doing lately. It's become a habit actually. He might be overthinking the game.

Garrison? He's given a couple of giveaways too.

Not to make excuses but the SJ ice was pretty awful too, which plays a factor but wasn't the reason why the Canucks lost. The Canucks lost it themselves, largely because of regular players making some mistakes that they shouldn't be making.
Posted Image --> THANKS EGATTI.

I have to say Dazzle's was the coolest. ROTFLOL

#22 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,866 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:57 AM

We played a bad game against a very good team. Sure luck is a factor but so is hard work and the Sharks down-right outskilled and outworked us.

Right now our special teams and defence are horrible, and those are responsibilities of the assistant coaches. This is a trend running back to last playoffs and the last half of the season.

Newell Brown and Bowness need to be replaced. AV is fine, he knows how to get the most out of his players, but there's no use if they're playing with horrible defensive systems and shocking special teams play.
Posted Image

#23 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,845 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:08 AM

We were poised to tie it until Lappy took that penalty which led to the 3-1 goal.
Posted Image

#24 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,769 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:19 AM

I think Luongo should have started tonight and AV should have given tomorrow nights' game to Cory. Makes more sense, match-up wise. We know Lu can outplay Niemi, and he's proved it. But neither goalie did particularly well against the Kings, so why not throw in Schneider then, since apparently nobody blames him for losses.

If Luongo had lost that way tonight, which I know would not have happened, a good percentage of the fans would be asking for his head on a platter. The simple fact is that Schneids, while we know has potential, is playing very inconsistently. I would go with Luongo for a few games in a row and let him get on a roll.

Give it a bloody rest. It's going to be annoying as hell if we have to listen to people whining about Luongo after every loss. This game WASN'T lost because of Schneider. We lost because our two defensemen decided to hand the Sharks 2 goals on a silver platter by passing it directly to them in the slot. Other than those 2 goals, the Canucks matched the Sharks for most of the game, and if a post or two went our way we could have won it.

Also you're completely wrong about:

But neither goalie did particularly well against the Kings,

Schneider had a .960 save % against the Kings last playoffs. If that isn't playing well against the Kings, I don't know what is.

Schneider didn't steal the game for us tonight, but we lost because of the turnovers, not Cory's play.

#25 tigbond

tigbond

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:33 AM

We were poised to tie it until Lappy took that penalty which led to the 3-1 goal.

+1

#26 mj vic

mj vic

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:09 AM

I'm big Lappy fan but that penalty in the offensive zone was a momentum killer! Kinda hope AV benches him for the LA game.

#27 Sugar baby watermelon

Sugar baby watermelon

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:31 AM

Isn't Lapierre playing with a groin pull?? Put Manny in. I agree, I think it is time to put Burrows back on the top line and run with that, at least we have one line that is capable of scoring. When Bieksa and Hamhuis are playing well they are a great shut down pairing but right now they are playing catch up, I kind of like having them split up being the defensive aspect whereas Garrison and Edler can roam a little more. Still waiting on Garrison to one time that shot in.

#28 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:31 AM

How would the Sharks be doing now if they lost their 2nd line?

We do have some rust -Hamhuis, Beiksa, Edler, (Garrison adjusting to new team), Burrows, Higgins and Lapiere. By next week i expect them to be game ready.

We will still struggle without a 2nd line. Higgy Burrows Hansen is not a second line on a good team. A SC finals team does not have Burrows as their 2nd line C.

I do not want to see Kassian fighting every game, although I realize he was approached by Clowe. He is the new kid on the block and I am concerned that he will be challenged a lot. Hopefully, AV will make sure that other players will jump in if this starts to happen. We cannot afford to have him in the penalty box for long periods.

The PP is stale and predictable, similar to the final 30 games of last year. Why is there no creativity? The system isn't working, but they continue to play the same.

SJ were up for the game and hit the ice running. The Nucks were unprepared and had to play catchup after the first 5 mins.

I expect a better result tonight, but won't be surprised if they lose. Remember last October they were 5-5-1? Without a 2nd line, I can't see them being in the top of the WC, but I am hopeful they can get into the playoffs.

Go Canucks Go

#29 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,991 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:42 AM

CDC is once again a clusterf*ck. This goes unnoticed on PGT. Thread still has enough substance IMO to kept.

Kind of like how the first page of Canucks Talk is filled with reactionary threads after last night's game? And how the PGT itself gets bumped to the second page so no one sees it amidst all the other stuff? Just saying, as I hate wading through all the crap threads to find one I actually want to read.

Pretty much this. That was a momentum killer for us and Lappy knows it.

Isn't Lapierre playing with a groin pull?? Put Manny in. I agree, I think it is time to put Burrows back on the top line and run with that, at least we have one line that is capable of scoring. When Bieksa and Hamhuis are playing well they are a great shut down pairing but right now they are playing catch up, I kind of like having them split up being the defensive aspect whereas Garrison and Edler can roam a little more. Still waiting on Garrison to one time that shot in.

I'm not sure if you realize which forwards have been putting up the points for us so far this season, but it's been the Sedins and Kassian that have been quite good.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#30 yogolol

yogolol

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:46 AM

The PP is my biggest concern, it's just everyone standing still with henrik on the half boards looking for a pass. San Jose powerplay was beatiful everyon e was moving, great puck movement and it scored some goals.
Watch my hockey tributes! http://www.youtube.c...urjesuss/videos

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.